WGA Exclusions

The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Well at the least the writing categories might have some suspense on Oscar nomination morning. I'd been anticipating a District 9 WGA nomination/omission would be a sign of the film's appeal not only among the writers, but also across the board (i.e. its Best Picture pull).

I'd also thought maybe WGA could give a sign toward whether or not In the Loop would be able to parlay its critics support into a writing nomination over more buzzed about year-end titles.

As Mister Tee said, I can't imagine the Oscar shortlists not containing at least some of these WGA-ineligible titles.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I guess the WGA is strictly a union shop. If you're not a member, you're not eligible.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Why don't they save us some effort and publish the names of all the ELIGIBLE screenplays. The WGA is the worst precursor group out there in terms of qualify/disqualify.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Amend those predictions again, gentlemen. Tapley says District 9 is also ineligible (plus, In the Loop, though no one's mentioned that).
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Question: Do they review, if at all, the screenplay written before production or the one transcribed after post?
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Apatow's other two films were nominated, so Funny People is a very possible nomination. I'd much rather see Away We Go included but there hasn't been any notion it would be.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Oh, I'd forgotten The Messenger as an original candidate. If the screener blitz is really working, that seems a likely and deserving nominee.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The Messenger, Funny People and It's Complicated before Avatar and probably Duplicity as well.

Star Trek; Where the Wild Things Are; Crazy Heart; Brothers and The Last Station all before The Blind Side.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I wouldn't rule out Julie and Julia for nomination here. The Devil Wears Prada made it.

Overall, this probably makes '09 the year where WGA nominations are least likely to match the Oscar field since '95.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I will also be thoroughly pissed if The Blind Side is nominated. Damn you Sabin for putting the idea in my head.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Yeah, that could certainly happen.

Also, I'm split between The Blind Side and Star Trek.
"How's the despair?"
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

All of those exclusions I can still see being nominated by the Academy. (500) Days of Summer will probably win original with its biggest competition out of the way. The Hurt Locker poses the biggest threat now, but that's more of a director's feat than writing IMO. A Serious Man could also give it a run for its money.

Edited By Zahveed on 1262805321
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Predictions:

Best Original Screenplay
Duplicity
(500) Days of Summer
***The Hurt Locker***
A Serious Man

Best Adapted Screenplay
The Blind Side
District 9
Invictus
Precious
***Up in the Air***
"How's the despair?"
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Given that the five original screenplay contenders seem to be WAY ahead of anything else, it will be interesting to see what the WGA chooses instead of Inglourious Basterds and Up. And by interesting, I mean depressing -- what else do they really have to choose from? Avatar? The Hangover?

The adapted screenplay race seems far more malleable, with plenty of varied contenders duking it out for spaces. Here, the animated Fantastic Mr. Fox is a contender whose strength we won't see tested. (I guess A Single Man would fit that bill as well, since it seems like a longshot but not entirely out of it contender.)
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

The WGA is always disqualifying films for various reasons -- non-membership the most common, but other oddities as well.

Sources at Awards Daily say several films are ineligible that one might have anticipated turning up:

An Education
Inglourious Basterds
The Road
A Single Man
(the last three out due to Weinstein hate?)

As animated features have also traditionally not been listed, I'd assume this means Up is out, as well. Meaning WGA will not be any kind of trial heat for original screenplay this year, with two prime win-candidates left out.

Return to “82nd Predictions and Precursors”