The USC Scripter Nominations

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I, for one, am delighted to see District 9 getting all this attention.

I also think it ironic that it's getting the awards recognition this week that not so long ago we wold have expected for a different film set in South Africa, a different film from producer Peter Jackson and yes, a different sci fi/fantasy film about a human convert to an alien world.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

But, historically, the source had to be something in print form, which eliminated many of the Academy's adaptations (plays, in particular). Even choosing Iron Man last year was bending the principles. Extending the field to incude something based on a short film seems to violate the entire premise of the award.

I don't know the Scripter has ever been much of a precursor except by coincidence, but the omission of Invictus seems to underscore the film's less-than-fierce momentum.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

They honor achievements in Adapted Screenplays. District 9 is an adaptation of a short film. Right now, it's not an unlikely possibility.

Last year they picked Benjamin Button, Iron Man, The Reader, Revolutionary Road, and gave it to Slumdog. The year before they picked Atonement, Into the Wild, There Will Be Blood, Zodiac, and gave it to No Country. The before that, it was Children of Men with nominations for Notes on a Scandal, The Devil Wears Prada, The Illusionist, and The Last King of Scotland. They're all over the place.

Edited By Sabin on 1262746334
"How's the despair?"
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

I don't understand the District 9 nomination, but anyway.....

From Awards Daily:

Crazy Heart – Fox Searchlight Pictures
Scott Cooper, screenwriter
Thomas Cobb, author

District 9 – Tri-Star Pictures
Neill Blomkamp, screenwriter and author
Terri Tatchell, screenwriter

An Education – Sony Pictures Classics
Nick Hornby, screenwriter
Lynn Barber, author

Precious: Based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire – Lionsgate
Geoffrey Fletcher, screenwriter