Screen Actors Guild Nominations

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I did the same thing, Tee. I didn't know until someone on one of my home page posts commented about the spelling.

I've even been noticing in mainstream critics groups lists on occasion that it's being misspelled.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Utterly minor, but what does it say about my reading skills that, when I heard his name called out, it was the first time I realized Waltz's first name was Christoph, not Christopher?
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Sonic Youth wrote:
The Original BJ wrote:First of all, what does Alfred Molina have to do to get nominated for something?!!!!! His Oscar nomination should be a slam-dunk? What's happening!
I like Molina as much as anyone, but I thought he played it a little too broadly in An Education.
Totally agree with the second part of your sentence. But then again, that would seemingly make him more likely to get a nomination.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy wrote:Everyone here predicted Up in the Air as an ensemble nominee. It's so amazing that people are suddenly "not surprised" by its exclusion.
I gave up being surprised by what SAG includes and excludes in their ensemble category a long time ago.

It's not as though it was upset by a dark horse. All the actual nominees were in our forecasts as well. An Education was the one I thought had been losing steam, especially with Molina's exclusion so I was mildly surprised to see ti nominated but not greatly so.

Up in the Air does not need a SAG nomination to win Best Picture and neither does Avatar.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

The Original BJ wrote:First of all, what does Alfred Molina have to do to get nominated for something?!!!!! His Oscar nomination should be a slam-dunk? What's happening!

I like Molina as much as anyone, but I thought he played it a little too broadly in An Education.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1261069927
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

For once, this is an interesting year, yes?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

The Original BJ wrote:
flipp525 wrote:
The Original BJ wrote:The Julianne Moore omission might be akin to Marisa Tomei's last year -- A Single Man JUST opened, and though its highly-touted lead actor had too much buzz to be ignored, his costar hasn't yet been able to establish enough personal notice of her own to lock herself into the race, even if she's still a strong candidate.
Has anyone actually seen A Single Man? If I recall correctly, some initial reviews seemed to indicate that Moore's British accent was really bad. Is her maybe-nomination more of a perfunctory thing or is she actually doing some great work here? Inquiring minds.
I thought Moore was very good in A Single Man (though, I admit that I am notoriously bad at noticing incorrect accents, so if that was an issue, it sure went over my head.) I don't think a nomination would be remotely perfunctory, but Supporting Actress is a strong category, and you could come up with a pretty good list that didn't have her in it even though she's worthy.
I haven't seen it, but it's certainly not as if Moore's name is being put on lists simply from habit -- pretty much every critic I've read singled out her performance as notable.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Everyone here predicted Up in the Air as an ensemble nominee. It's so amazing that people are suddenly "not surprised" by its exclusion.

I think the Slumdog mention is perfectly fitting to this situation. There was a film where there was no real "ensemble" work going on, but it was nominated anyway? I still find it an unusual exclusion and am quite surprised more people aren't. I mean sure this means An Education and Precious and Nine are still in the hunt for Oscar nominations, so there's some interesting other things to be said on the subject, but not getting nominated here has to be considered a setback even if it isn't a major one.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

flipp525 wrote:
The Original BJ wrote:The Julianne Moore omission might be akin to Marisa Tomei's last year -- A Single Man JUST opened, and though its highly-touted lead actor had too much buzz to be ignored, his costar hasn't yet been able to establish enough personal notice of her own to lock herself into the race, even if she's still a strong candidate.
Has anyone actually seen A Single Man? If I recall correctly, some initial reviews seemed to indicate that Moore's British accent was really bad. Is her maybe-nomination more of a perfunctory thing or is she actually doing some great work here? Inquiring minds.
I thought Moore was very good in A Single Man (though, I admit that I am notoriously bad at noticing incorrect accents, so if that was an issue, it sure went over my head.) I don't think a nomination would be remotely perfunctory, but Supporting Actress is a strong category, and you could come up with a pretty good list that didn't have her in it even though she's worthy.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Edited By flipp525 on 1261068407
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

First of all, what does Alfred Molina have to do to get nominated for something?!!!!! His Oscar nomination should be a slam-dunk? What's happening! On the other hand, An Education's Ensemble nod is promising after the Globes omissions -- I still think it's a Best Picture nominee.

And YAY for The Hurt Locker! This is a film which I don't think any of us would have been surprised to see completely omitted this morning -- it lacks the starry quality often associated with SAG Ensemble nods. But there it is, not only in Ensemble but Best Actor!

I have seen Up in the Air, and I don't think the Ensemble omission is too strange. The three main characters are all very fine, but there isn't all that much more of an ensemble beyond them. (A similar situation happened with Michael Clayton -- nods for the key actors, but not the Ensemble.) And I personally have no problem with this. I've been complaining for years that people just vote in this category for Best Picture (Slumdog?!!) So to leave the ensemble category for larger casts which did a lot of strong work together (An Education, Hurt Locker) while honoring individual great performances elsewhere is fine by me.

If Woody Harrelson can get in with populist-skewing SAG, maybe the film's low gross isn't hurting his chances after all.

The Julianne Moore omission might be akin to Marisa Tomei's last year -- A Single Man JUST opened, and though its highly-touted lead actor had too much buzz to be ignored, his costar hasn't yet been able to establish enough personal notice of her own to lock herself into the race, even if she's still a strong candidate.

I really liked Diane Kruger in Inglourious Basterds, and wondered since I saw the film why she hadn't had more buzz. Well, here you go!
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

I am sure it comes as no surprise to anyone that I am freaking thrilled with THE HURT LOCKER's Ensemble nomination and particularly Jeremy Renner's Lead nomination. Just wonderful.

Now we see that the critics loved the film, the Globes loved the film, and many actors in Hollywood (or at least those voting in SAG) loved the film. The Academy is a different beast, but hopefully this can put to rest some of this shit about the fact that the idiot masses out there did not make it a box-office success proof that it will be ignored by the Oscars.

Despite UP IN THE AIR's surprise Ensemble snub, I still think it is the Best Picture front runner. However, I think the Ensemble and Lead nominations for THE HURT LOCKER show actors admire the film and probably admire the work of Bigelow. The Best Picture/Best Director split at the Oscars seem even more likely after today.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I love how a phrase "may have" suddenly becomes "it's doomed". I never said that. I qualified my statement based on the new ten-best slate possibility because it could still win, but it could just as easily lose. It's not a sure thing, which is the entirety of my point on the matter. It opens the way for The Hurt Locker to win, which has been something of a question mark for everyone, but now it makes it firmly into the hunt, thus nullifying a lot of people's "it can't possibly compete" rhetoric.

But let's focus on a misread phrase...
Wesley Lovell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

This is one of the things I find maddening at this time of year. Oscar watchers who declare that one group's nominations provide a game-changer for the Oscars, Last week, Precious was out of it because Lee Daniels didn't get a Globe nomination. Now all of a sudden An Education has a better shot at winning Best Picture because the Saggies nominated it? Puh-lease. Remember, it's a marathon not a sprint.

I haven't seen Up In The Air, but even before reading Magilla's and Tee's posts my reaction to the reason for its omission was the same as thirs.

Edited By Damien on 1261072242
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

While Up in the Air might have faced a setback with its omission in Best Ensemble, I don't think that it was a crippling blow. Braveheart being the only film ever to win Best Picture without a SAG Ensemble nomination means next to nothing this year, of all years, when everything has changed due to the inclusion of 10 nominees instead of 5. This year, the rules we have lived by every year don't really count anymore because the playing field is unlike anything we've ever encountered.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)

Return to “82nd Predictions and Precursors”