Austin Film Critics Awards - and Best of Decade

MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

I think you're giving them too much credit. I've talked to some of these film students, and nearly all of them have recommended The Boondock Saints to me. :p
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

If they're film students, they should be able to identify with the skill and creativity involved in making a successful low-budget film, and reward at least one or two of those along with the big studio fare.

They wouldn't have to be something supposedly "arty" or "pretentious"- could be a horror-comedy like Baghead or a documentary like Hell House, to name two independent films I know went over well in Austin.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

You have to consider the people voting for the Austin Film Critics Awards, though. It's largely made up of film students from the University of Texas (who are all members of the Austin Film Society) and bloggers like Harry Knowles.

Edited By MovieWes on 1261000212
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

The Original BJ wrote:I have to agree with rain bard. I like all of the films on that best of decade list, and to be honest, a lot of them I love.
Wow, I am so glad someone else said it. I actually am more impressed with this decade list than others I have seen.

That being said, this is not exactly the list I would have made myself.

My list would be (in no particular order):
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
There Will Be Blood (2007)
Requiem For A Dream (2000)
The Pianist (2002)
Letters From Iwo Jima (2006)
Wall-E (2008)
Brokeback Mountain (2005)
Talk To Her (2002)
In The Mood For Love (2000)
Memento (2000)
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I have to agree with rain bard. I like all of the films on that best of decade list, and to be honest, a lot of them I love.

But together, they read like such a fan-boyish list -- as rain bard says, it's a very limited view of the past decade's cinema. (Not that my list would necessarily be full of off-the-beaten-path titles, but, sheesh, this list is about as un-singular as they get.)
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Zahveed wrote:I don't find the Best of the Decade list as offensive as the rest of you. Then again, I seem to like anything.
I can't speak for anyone else on this but here's my take. No one film they cite is something I personally would consider a bad film. I was entertained and/or impressed by most of them when they first came out, though some have held up better in memory or under the scrutiny of repeat viewings than others.

But the list represents such a completely limited view of what cinema is or can be. Critics are supposed to lead their readers to films, and ways of seeing films, that they would not have encountered before. If all they do is rubber-stamp their readers' tastes then what's the point?

It's as if the Austin list was meant to represent the best of the 64 films from this decade found on the imdb Top 250, or of the (coincidentally, also 64) films from this decade with at least 115,000 imdb votes. Though even those two lists, as narrow a swath of cinema as they may comprise, exhibit more diversity than this top ten. There are foreign-language films on both, for example. And films with more "independent" credentials. And films with more stylistic and tonal diversity than displayed here. It's just a depressingly blindered vision of cinema, and/or of the critic's role in the larger discussion of it.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

MovieWes wrote:
rolotomasi99 wrote:
Damien wrote:I swear, I'm going to set off a bomb somewhere if that mediocrity known as The Hurt Locker wins another award. What is it with these sheep?

:(

Is that supposed to be ironic? You are going to set off a bomb because a very well made movie about the very real story of soldiers risking their lives de-activating bombs in Iraq and Afghanistan is winning more awards than you see fit.

Wow. I thought I took this whole thing seriously, but you making terrorism jokes seems a bit much.

Why is it that you're always the person to take offense to people's jokes? That seems to be your thing.

Areas off limits for humor for me:
Murder
Torture
Rape

Also, any humor encouraging bigotry. I enjoy humor which makes fun of how ridiculous bigotry is, but not any humor which seems to be excusing or celebrating it.

I am shocked that these standards seem to be considered extreme around here.

If, for example, Damien did not like how BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN was winning every critic's award, that would totally be his opinion to express. I would just hope he would not use anti-gay jokes to make his point.

The same thing with his feelings about THE HURT LOCKER.

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1260992777
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

At least he's not planting a bomb...
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

rolotomasi99 wrote:
Damien wrote:I swear, I'm going to set off a bomb somewhere if that mediocrity known as The Hurt Locker wins another award. What is it with these sheep?

Is that supposed to be ironic? You are going to set off a bomb because a very well made movie about the very real story of soldiers risking their lives de-activating bombs in Iraq and Afghanistan is winning more awards than you see fit.

Wow. I thought I took this whole thing seriously, but you making terrorism jokes seems a bit much.
Why is it that you're always the person to take offense to people's jokes? That seems to be your thing.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Big Magilla wrote:
rain Bard wrote:That Best of the Decade list makes me wonder if the Austin Film Critics membership must be vetted by Harry Knowles before being allowed to vote. Or maybe he's the only critic in the group?
Does Harry have all that power or is there something in the water in Austin?
As someone who has been a part of the whole Austin film scene, I can tell you that, yes, Harry Knowles is king in Austin. I've been to several film events in Austin, and I have yet to attend anything film related in which he hasn't been in attendance.

However, I think that probably the biggest film presence in Austin are all the RTF students attending the University of Texas, and I would bet money that they make up the majority of voters.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

flipp525 wrote:

This group's Best of the Decade is truly evil.

True.

But, let's be honest, this choice was inspired: Best Actress: Melanie Laurent, Inglourious Basterds

I hope it carries on to other awards. Not only is she deserving, but I get the added bonus of making a good call.
n/p

Edited By Zahveed on 1260981846
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

This group's Best of the Decade is truly evil.
True.

But, let's be honest, this choice was inspired: Best Actress: Melanie Laurent, Inglourious Basterds
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

rain Bard wrote:That Best of the Decade list makes me wonder if the Austin Film Critics membership must be vetted by Harry Knowles before being allowed to vote. Or maybe he's the only critic in the group?
Does Harry have all that power or is there something in the water in Austin?
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Big Magilla wrote:Best Actress: Melanie Laurent, Inglourious Basterds

Best Supporting Actor: Christoph Waltz, Inglourious Basterds

Best Original Screenplay: Inglourious Basterds, Quentin Tarantino
Score.

I don't find the Best of the Decade list as offensive as the rest of you. Then again, I seem to like anything.

Return to “82nd Predictions and Precursors”