Golden Globe Nominations

flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Mister Tee wrote:What I dread: when Precious gets best picture but not best director, and we have a two-pronged fight over whether he was left off because he's black or because he's gay.
I think most people will be able to see that Daniels' fiddling with the film -- with some, at times, rather insulting directorial choices -- were just getting in the way of a fine ensemble cast. That Sidibe and Mo'Nique keep getting recognized is very much despite his direction, not because of it.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Another observation.

I pretty much expected the fifth Best Actor - Drama slot would go to one of the stars of the three Iraq themed films - just couldn't figure out whether it would be Jeremy Renner, Ben Foster or Tobey Maguire but in hindsight the Maguire nod makes sense. The HFPA likes to be shmoozed. Tobey's good friend Leo is a master at schmoozing them, may well have passed off a few pointers to Tobey.
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

Big Magilla wrote:No one has mentioned the year's biggest outrage - Julia Roberts over Zooey Deshenal. What is this woman's hold on the HFPA?
In hindsight it does seem almost inevitable that Roberts would show up here - however I think the pointless second nods for Streep and Bullock are equally to blame for Zooey's lovely performance missing out.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

No one has mentioned the year's biggest outrage - Julia Roberts over Zooey Deshenal. What is this woman's hold on the HFPA?

I wouldn't consider the Globes' slight of An Education an Oscar killer. Every year they seem to miss at least one. Last year Milk didn't make the cut.

I'm not surprised that they nominated Cotillard in lead. It's what Harvey wanted and what Harvey wants Harvey gets from the Globes.

The lack of a nomination for Invictus for Best Picture is telling. The Globes have been recognizing Eastwood since 1971, gave him the Cecil B. DeMille award in 1988 and nominated him eleven times since, giving him their Best Director award three times - for Bird, Unforgiven and Million Dollar Baby. They even gave a Best Foreign Film award to Letters From Iwo Jima. For them not to nominate the film although they again nominated him, puts the film's Oscar chances in question especially since they nominated a film whose director they did not nominate in its place.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Mister Tee wrote:Despite the screenplay mention, I think The Hurt Locker's treatment was a bit perfunctory, decreed-by-critics.
I don't know if I can go along with that. Consider "Invictus". Clint Eastwood receives a nomination (along with big names Freeman and Damon)... but it doesn't reveive a Best Film nomination. I don't think anyone would have been surprised if we learned Bigelow and "Hurt Locker" was in that position instead. If the Globes only wanted to play follow-the-leader with the critics, they could easily have made room for six or seven nominees. They've done it before. Nope, I think we have the real deal here.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Mister Tee wrote:Not much to say about TV, except the fact that no one ever seems to acknowledge Mad Men's extraordinary supporting cast members.

It would've been nice to see nods for Christina Hendricks (Joan) and Bryan Batt (Sal) both of whom gave two of the most heartbreaking supporting performances during the last season. I would even have stood up for some Kiernan Shipka recognition.

Alternatively, it was nice to see January Jones recognized for her work this season.

Edited By flipp525 on 1260894020
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Alfred Molina took the biggest hit here, IMO. I don't think took nearly as big a hit as is suggested. It ended up in the categories we were mostly expecting. Did anyone really think this group would give it to Rob Marshall when there were so many others to nominate? I wasn't expecting it and I'm not even expecting an Oscar nomination at this point.

An Education did take a big hit. I have the film removed from my next Hopefuls update and Inglourious Basterds has emerged much stronger than even I expected and could very well carry through an Oscar for Tarantino in Director. We won't know for sure right now, though. We've still got the DGA and other groups to dictate some things.

As for District 9, it's a pretty stunning work of fiction and it I was quite pleased by its Screenplay nomination. That it didn't feature anywhere else is disappointing as it's still the best science-fiction film I've seen this year with only Avatar left to see.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

Mister Tee wrote:I don't buy that Bullock's nomination makes her a sure winner, but the star-whoring strain of HFPA will ceratinly be tempted to go her way.
Agree. But I think she's gone from off the radar to a lock for the Oscar nod even faster than Jeff Bridges managed, and the film's boffo box office is really starting to make her look like a threat for the win. Her major competition appears to be the little-known Mulligan, or Meryl Streep in a role even her most rabid fans have to admit is hardly one of her more taxing. I still think Carey will take it - but I'm coming round to the possibility of a Bullock win. The SAGs will tell all on this race, methinks.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

I'm not a bit surprised by the lack of support for Nine. In fact, it probably did better than it should have and I completely expect its momentum to end here. Currently, it holds a score of 36% on Rotten Tomatoes and it keeps dropping. It will score some tech nominations, but it won't be nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars and I expect that by the time the Oscar nominations roll around, it won't even register in the acting categories. Perhaps bad reviews didn't deter voters from voting for The Reader, but it had twice as many good reviews as Nine does.

I also don't get how It's Complicated did so well. It has a score of 38% on Rotten Tomatoes!

I'm beginning to think that the District 9 screenplay nod might carry over to the Oscars.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Yay for Michael Stuhlbarg who gave perhaps one of the best performances of the year. I'm dumbfounded that the Coen Bros. movie hasn't made more of a splash with people. And Richard Kind's beautiful supporting work deserves recognition somewhere. Anywhere. Don't they need somebody to love?

Is The Lovely Bones really that dead in the water? I'm surprised that the execution was apparently boggled that badly. It sounded like it had such promise. Saoirse Ronan is still in play, I think though. The Best Actress category still seems so amorphous to me. And Tucci is getting in for TLB or Julie & Julia, no doubt, most likely the former.

I was expecting something bizarre in one of the supporting categories like Mariah Carey maybe.

Edited By flipp525 on 1260892321

Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I was in transit, Sonic, and unable to comment before now.

My reaction throughout the rushed reading was, Yeah, as expected. There were none of the pleasant surprises of years past -- like In Bruges, or Match Point. Maybe Julia Roberts, although she was the thing I liked least about Duplicity.

Side note: People keep trying to tell me Justin Timberlake is now cool. I've had my doubts ever since he left Janet Jackson hanging out to dry, but after this morning... Did anyone really find him funny? His "humor" was crass to begin with ("Good porking tonight, huh, John?"), and he milked it about ten beats past its limited value. I wanted to wham the guy almost as much as I want to strangle Joe Lieberman.

To the nominations:

Despite the screenplay mention, I think The Hurt Locker's treatment was a bit perfunctory, decreed-by-critics. Renner's absence was telling, I thought. (As for Maguire's inclusion, it's worth noting this group has been overly kind to Jim Sheridan in the past, giving The Boxer film/actor nominations that never went further) I think Bigelow will win directing, but I'd say Up in the Air is way more likely to win best drama.

I don't buy that Bullock's nomination makes her a sure winner, but the star-whoring strain of HFPA will ceratinly be tempted to go her way. Especially given...

...how poorly An Education was treated. You'd think a foreign-based group would have given a Brit film more than the Mulligan nod -- Molina was the most striking omission, but the screenplay could have qualified as well. Apparently it -- as well as Serious Man -- couldn't stack up next to the subtleties of It's Complicated or (!) District 9(!).

Harvey Weinstein did well, as he usually does with this crew (best drama The Great Debaters and Bobby in the recent past). But, as Sonic rightly points out, if Nine were actually in this thing, Marshall would have scored a directing nod. And Daniels' exclusion from directing is also a danger sign for his film. What I dread: when Precious gets best picture but not best director, and we have a two-pronged fight over whether he was left off because he's black or because he's gay.

Not much to say about TV, except the fact that no one ever seems to acknowledge Mad Men's extraordinary supporting cast members.

Edited By Mister Tee on 1260892173
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

This will be the only place Cotillard shows up in lead. She'll be pushed into supporting for the SAGs and Oscars, and hopefully not nominated at either!

Finally a major awards mention for Plummer and Mirren. Emily Blunt shows up again, while Abbie Cornish sits out, again.

Double-nominations for both Streep and Bullock… yep, looks like they’re both winning. I’m overjoyed with Joseph Gordon-Levitt’s nomination – wish they could have thrown in Zooey Deschanel too – and with Nine’s hopes seemingly shrinking and A Serious Man (quite strangely) left out, (500) Days of Summer looks like a very possible comedy picture winner here.

The supporting races are looking to be particularly dreary this year. The Globes usually throw in a no-hoper or two – a Julia Roberts in Charlie Wilson’s War or Will Ferrell in The Producers or Tom Cruise in Tropic Thunder – but this year they seem to have genuinely tried to pick who they think will make the Oscar lists. They may have it spot-on with the supporting actor nods, although I’m not sold on Damon.

Tobey Maguire’s nomination is a mild surprise, but while I don’t know too much about the film, I like Tobey. I would imagine he’ll lose his place at the Oscars to Jeremy Renner or Viggo Mortensen, but the other four drama nods here seem all but assured.

Sonic is dead on: Precious took a pretty big hit here. Other than the (seemingly) inevitable Mo-Nique, it aint winning anything at the Oscars.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

I guess the big loser here is The Lovely Bones, which was once talked about as a big contender. Peter Jackson's King Kong did better than his latest.

No song noms for The Princess and the Frog.

Surprised by the District 9 nod.

Is Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs more deserving than Ponyo? I don't think so.

Looks like Matt Damon may be a double casualty by the end of Golden Globe night, although I can see him winning Actor-comedy. But I think Downey is a better bet.

Emily Blunt is a surprise, as is Tobey Maguire.

I know that Public Enemies wasn't as well-received as it could have been and it was released a while ago, but in a way it's mildly surprising how quickly the film faded.

I wonder if It's Complicated is really that good.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

It's also worth mentioning that the globes swallowed the "Cotillard is lead" argument that Harvey Weinstein has been flogging. With the notices for Supporting Actress in other groups, it will take SAG to clarify things. If she misses out there, she misses out on an Oscar nod because of category placement confusion. Sometimes Weinstein is an idiot.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

And happy belated birthday to Globe nominee Christopher Plummer, who turned 80 years old two days ago.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Return to “82nd Predictions and Precursors”