Golden Globe Nominations

Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

He wasn't the one that brought it up at least.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

ITALIANO wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote:What other musical was recently nominated at the Globes for Best Picture Comedy/Musical with several acting noms, but denied a Best Director nom? I'm sure Italiano could give us the answer.

Even back then, after the Globes nominations anyone could have clearly seen that Dreamgirls was dead. Dead. A bit like Nine this year. It's not like I was a genius and I said something others couldnt realize as well. Yet, for some strange reason, what today anyone can logically accept, a few years ago was suddenly unbelievable and insulting. It makes you think.

You are pretty firmly lodged up your own ass about that prediction, aren't you, Italiano?

Edited By flipp525 on 1260904590
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I think this pretty much kills Invictus's chances for an Oscar Best Picture nomination.

Aren't there ten nominations this year? I think Changeling AND Gran Torino could've been nominated with ten spots last year.

No one has mentioned the year's biggest outrage - Julia Roberts over Zooey Deshenal. What is this woman's hold on the HFPA?

Duplicity wasn't a great movie, but Roberts and Owen had tremendous chemistry and were terrific together. Their quiet back-and-forths had more heat to them than anything else I saw all year. She was ten times better than that walking zombie in (500) days.

I'll be honest. I don't like Zooey Deschanel. She has no personality in that film, which is - I suppose - the point. It's all through JGL's POV and as it shifts, so does she. But I think one of the film's big failings is that her motivations are all over the place and you desperately want JGL to just move the fuck on.

Owen and Roberts have all right chemistry in Duplicity. I think two different leads might have been better suited, but Roberts does her best work since Erin Brockovich easily and if it's not the great film I was hoping for, it's such a ridiculously diverting one that I'm willing to cut it some slack. If anything, it should have placed for Comedic/Musical Picture AND Screenplay. Alongside A Serious Man.
"How's the despair?"
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Big Magilla wrote:No one has mentioned the year's biggest outrage - Julia Roberts over Zooey Deshenal. What is this woman's hold on the HFPA?
Duplicity wasn't a great movie, but Roberts and Owen had tremendous chemistry and were terrific together. Their quiet back-and-forths had more heat to them than anything else I saw all year. She was ten times better than that walking zombie in (500) days.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I think this pretty much kills Invictus's chances for an Oscar Best Picture nomination. If these Clint-lovers didn't nominate it -- coupled with disappointing box-office so far -- it'd be very surprising to have the Academy embrace it. I could see Morgan Freeman being its sole nomination, or maybe Editing, too.

Thrilled for Joseph Gordon-Leavitt, sad for Zooey -- they were a wonderful team.

And, this isn't related directly to the Globes, but I can't see a movie that has made as little money as The Hurt Locker winning the Best Picture Oscar. The poor box-office performance indicates the movie doesn't connect with general audiences, and the Academy tends to have more in common with middle-brow audiences than with critics.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

The biggest loser is An Education. This would seem like perfect Foreign Press fodder. Dramatic Picture, Supporting Actor, and Screenplay seemed like solid bets in the wake of that Mulligan juggernaut that we keep hearing about. Films like A Serious Man, Invictus, and The Lovely Bones suffered set-backs, but those promoting An Education must be terrified. They thought they were in smooth sailings. A star-making performance packaged in a movie your teenage girl AND grandmother both love? Molina's chances look shakier ever day.

I feel like Inglourious Basterds and Up in the Air did as well as expected. Nine is being received very mutedly so I guess Rob Marshall should be glad his film is the runner-up in nominations. Lee Daniels should be pleased anybody is buying his terrible movie at all. If I had to guess the biggest winner, I'm going to declare a tie between Avatar -- who cares if it's not Titanic? This movie was motherfucking dead a few months ago! -- and It's Complicated, which saw Nancy Meyers wrestling a screenplay nomination from Anthony Minghella & Michael Tolkin, The Coen Brothers, James Cameron, and the writers of How I Met Your Mother In (500) Days of Summer (thanks, SY).

What can we prognosticate is that Up in the Air is in, as is Inglourious Basterds and The Hurt Locker. That's three we can be pretty sure of. Reitman, Tarantino, and Bigelow are very certain DGA nominees. Basterds and Up in the Air look like promising SAG nominees as well. If SAG honors The Hurt Locker as well (and they could; who doesn't want to be Renner or Mackie right now?), it could legitimately challenge Up in the Air. If The Hurt Locker stands this one out there, will they opt for Nine? An Education? Or It's Complicated? I'm guessing the latter and possibly Julie & Julia as well. I'm guessing the Screen Actor's Guild Ensemble Award comes down to Basterds, An Education, It's Complicated, Nine, and Up in the Air while The Director's Guild honors Bigelow, Cameron, Reitman, and Tarantino and either Daniels or Eastwood.

This year's nominated directors will be Bigelow, Cameron, Eastwood Reitman, and Tarantino, and for the final five...

Oh wait. Um, all these movies.
"How's the despair?"
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Sonic Youth wrote:What other musical was recently nominated at the Globes for Best Picture Comedy/Musical with several acting noms, but denied a Best Director nom? I'm sure Italiano could give us the answer.
Even back then, after the Globes nominations anyone could have clearly seen that Dreamgirls was dead. Dead. A bit like Nine this year. It's not like I was a genius and I said something others couldnt realize as well. Yet, for some strange reason, what today anyone can logically accept, a few years ago was suddenly unbelievable and insulting. It makes you think.

Of course, with the ten slots format Nine will probably still be nominated, which kills any fun in the prediction process (yes, I know, we could still wonder about the destiny of An Education, but you know what I mean).

Nice to see an Italian movie among the Foreign Film nominees, though I'm sure that at least the German movie (which I have seen) and maybe the French movie (which I haven't seen) are better.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

The Original BJ wrote:The one exception seems to be my beloved An Education... I'm with Magilla in thinking this is mostly a Globes bump (as with Milk or Capote), and that Molina and the screenplay will rally back (as will the film, in a ten-wide field.)
I'm with you till the last clause. I know everyone put the film on their hot list back in January, and have kept it there through its discouraging commercial run, but I'm not sure there's much positive momentum for the film -- it's staying in the conversation primarily through inertia. With a five-film best picture field, I think it'd be almost out of the question, and even with ten I think it's a borderline candidate.

And I say this as someone who liked it alot, and have been puzzled that audiences haven't apparently agreed. I mean, A Serious Man is a far more polarizing film with no stars, and it's made more money.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Some reactions:

- I'm both surprised AND delighted by District 9's nom.

- Julia Roberts is a surprise thought considering this is the Globes, it shouldn't be.

- Does Tobey Maguire's Oscar chances get a shot in the arm?
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Again, the big story to me is "imagine what a difference a year makes." Can you imagine the commentary last year, with only 5 Oscar nominees?

"Wow -- Picture AND Director for Avatar. It's looking like it might be able to crack the Oscar lineup and go where Dark Knight couldn't!"

"Uh-oh. No nod for Rob Marshall. Is Nine the next Dreamgirls?"

"Inglourious Basterds, of all things, does really well. Can such a loopy film score a Best Picture nod?"

And so on, and so on. Of course, all are very likely to score Best Picture nominations in a ten-wide field, and so these minor hits and triumphs aren't really registering with the drama they have in years past.

The one exception seems to be my beloved An Education, which really took some hits this morning. It actually took me a while to realize that Alfred Molina had been snubbed. (I can't fathom what voters saw in Damon and Tucci instead, but, welcome to awards season.) I'm with Magilla in thinking this is mostly a Globes bump (as with Milk or Capote), and that Molina and the screenplay will rally back (as will the film, in a ten-wide field.)

Otherwise, mostly as expected.

Oh, and I LOVE the nomination for the Single Man score.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Mister Tee wrote:
flipp525 wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:What I dread: when Precious gets best picture but not best director, and we have a two-pronged fight over whether he was left off because he's black or because he's gay.

I think most people will be able to see that Daniels' fiddling with the film -- with some, at times, rather insulting directorial choices -- were just getting in the way of a fine ensemble cast. That Sidibe and Mo'Nique keep getting recognized is very much despite his direction, not because of it.

And you really think that'll stop a controversy-seeking press from pushing the race/orientation angle? Prince of Tides was shlock that deserved to be omitted from best director, but 100% of the coverage back then was "they won't nominate a woman director".

No, Tee, I don't really think it will necessarily stop that angle from being promulgated by a controversy-seeking press. I'm just hoping that someone will jump in with that idea at some point should the debate arise. And it was worth pointing out, if only here.

Also, I think that idea may be a bit of a false Cassandra: to think that the Academy, which has nominated more people of color and more gay people and gay-themed films in the past decade than all those preceding it, will have to contend with an argument like that this year. It doesn't feel like a hot-button focus this time around, but I might just be optimistic.

Even the gays can recognize the victory of two unglamorous overweight black women being nominated at the expense of, well, "family".

Edited By flipp525 on 1260899705
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Big Magilla wrote:Roberts' film was a quickly forgotten piece of crap that must have bored even her and Clive Owen when they made it.
That may be your opinion, Magilla, but it's far from universally shared. The film was a box office disappointment, but the reviews were in glowing territory.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

flipp525 wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:What I dread: when Precious gets best picture but not best director, and we have a two-pronged fight over whether he was left off because he's black or because he's gay.
I think most people will be able to see that Daniels' fiddling with the film -- with some, at times, rather insulting directorial choices -- were just getting in the way of a fine ensemble cast. That Sidibe and Mo'Nique keep getting recognized is very much despite his direction, not because of it.
And you really think that'll stop a controversy-seeking press from pushing the race/orientation angle? Prince of Tides was shlock that deserved to be omitted from best director, but 100% of the coverage back then was "they won't nominate a woman director".
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Big Magilla wrote:
rudeboy wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:No one has mentioned the year's biggest outrage - Julia Roberts over Zooey Deshenal. What is this woman's hold on the HFPA?

In hindsight it does seem almost inevitable that Roberts would show up here - however I think the pointless second nods for Streep and Bullock are equally to blame for Zooey's lovely performance missing out.

Nah. Bullock and Streep's double nods for high profile films were expected. Roberts' film was a quickly forgotten piece of crap that must have bored even her and Clive Owen when they made it.

Wasn't Sonic hailing it as a "contender" when it first came out?

Tobey's good friend Leo is a master at schmoozing them, may well have passed off a few pointers to Tobey.

He taught him how to be a good bottom, that's pretty well known.

Edited By flipp525 on 1260897522

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

rudeboy wrote:
In hindsight it does seem almost inevitable that Roberts would show up here - however I think the pointless second nods for Streep and Bullock are equally to blame for Zooey's lovely performance missing out.
Nah. Bullock and Streep's double nods for high profile films were expected. Roberts' film was a quickly forgotten piece of crap that must have bored even her and Clive Owen when they made it.

Return to “82nd Predictions and Precursors”