December Predictions

jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

If Up In The Air does win then father and son, Ivan and Jason will be winning their first Oscars. Has that ever happened before?

Edited By jack on 1260198389
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I see Up in the Air winning Best Picture but I see Kathryn Bigelow becoming the first woman to win as Best Director.

Reitman would become the first son a director, but not a nominated director, to win.

Kevin Macdonald (The Last King of Scotland, State of Play) may someday become the first grandson of an Oscar winning director to win although it was for writing (The Red Shoes) that granddad Emeric Pressburger won.

Other bits of trivia:

Chris and Paul Weitz are the only director sons of an Oscar nominated actress (Susan Kohner) to have been nominated for an Oscar albeit for writing, not directing (About a Boy).

George Clooney is the only former son-in-law of an Oscar winning actor (Martin Balsam) to have also won a supporting actor Oscar.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

And, I guess I'm coming around to Sabin's suggestion that Up in the Air is this year's Best Picture winner.

And here's a question for people who can research this who have the time: Would Jason Reitman be the first child of a director to WIN if he wins? I know Sofia Coppola was also nominated and I believe she may have been the first kid to get such a nod, but have there been any other child-of-director Best Director winners?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

500 Days seems to have peaked with the Satellites and Spirit Awards. I'm not sure it's going to get nominated at the Globes, if it does, then maybe it's in the hunt, but right now, I'm not so sure.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

I would love to see (500) Days fo Summer nominated for Best picture!
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Um, I was wrong.

It happened. I said it.

Sandra Bullock could very possibly get nominated for Best Actress. I haven't seen the movie. I probably won't see the movie. It's John Lee Hancock. He's not bad. I've read the script. I'm not impressed nor do I really care. But look at the support behind it. It's looking more and more like a retirement home populist Best Picture nominee to boot.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Early in the year, it looked possible, but with the heavy hitters emerging left and right in the field, I think it would be rather surprising for him to get a nomination.
Wesley Lovell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Does De Niro have a chance of getting nominated this year for Everybody's Fine?
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Vera Farmiga is clearly supporting in Up in the Air. I really don't think much a case can be made for her getting bumped up just in the name of keeping her away from Anna Kendrick. She's very Virginia Madsen in this film. I think both Kendrick and Farmiga will be nodded.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

They are pushing Vera Farmiga in support the last I saw.
Wesley Lovell
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Vera Farmiga isn't lead?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mine:

An Education
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Invictus
The Messenger
Nine
Precious
Up
Up in the Air

Best Actor
Jeff Bridges, Crazy Heart
George Clooney, Up in the Air
Matt Damon, The Informant!
Colin Firth, A Single Man
Morgan Freeman, Invictus

Best Actress
Sandra Bullock, The Blind Side
Helen Mirren, The Last Station
Carey Mulligan, An Education
Gabourey Sidibe, Precious
Meryl Streep, Julie & Julia

Best Supporting Actor
Woody Harrelson, The Messenger
Alfred Molina, An Education
Christopher Plummer, The Last Station
Stanley Tucci, The Lovely Bones
Christoph Waltz, Inglourious Basterds

Best Supporting Actress
Vera Farmiga, Up in the Air
Anna Kendrick, Up in the Air
Mo’Nique, Precious
Julianne Moore, A Single Man
Samantha Morton, The Messenger

Best Director
Kathryn Bigelow, The Hurt Locker
Lee Daniels, Precious
Clint Eastwood, Invictus
Jason Reitman, Up in the Air
Quentin Tarantino, Inglourious Basterds
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I've updated my predictions based on the snippets of precursors we've already seen. I'm actually feeling quite good about this list so far...things can still change, but there it is.

Oscar Hopefuls
Wesley Lovell

Return to “82nd Predictions and Precursors”