LAFCA Winners

The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I was off at the movies all day, so I missed the festivities, but here are a couple thoughts:

It's interesting that no one -- here or elsewhere -- is much commenting on the Best Picture choice. What a difference the Academy's new rules make. Last year we'd have been heavily discussing the big step box office dud The Hurt Locker took toward a possible but still uncertain Best Picture nomination. This year, there's no way it misses.

I think the Moreau choice helps Meryl Streep a bit. The less her young rivals establish any kind of critical dominance, the better shot she's got to ride the populist wave (and her career points) to an Oscar.

Here's hoping the NY critics choose Coraline or Ponyo as Best Animation, to continue spreading the wealth among some fine candidates.

District 9 is just the type of film that would make a great Art Direction nominee, but usually loses out at the Oscars to stuff like The Young Victoria.

Not related to LAFCA...but I just learned from another board that Kathryn Bigelow is James Cameron's ex-wife. Am I the only one who didn't know this? Could it be possible that, come Oscar time, Best Director will feature, for the first time, exes competing against each other!!!
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Hustler wrote:
Big Magilla wrote: And who knows, she may come to Hollywood and charm the pants off the Academy membership and win the whole damn thing.
A La Cotillard Do you think? Mmm Hard to swollow
You do know Colitard didn't really win that Oscar - it was Edith Piaf who did and lucky Marion just happened to be there for the ride. Saraphine made the mistake and didn't tour the US in the '50s, so no surprise nomination, let alone a win, for Moreau, I'm afraid, although she's far, far superior to Colitard's competent yet uninspired turn. But what really bugs me is that the European Academy ignored Moreau in favor of that dreadful performance by Kate Winslet.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I misunderstood. Mulligan won the NBR. Now, if you're referring to the big three, New York hasn't announced yet (the online critics were who announced today). So she's 1 for 2 of the big four, or 0 for 1 of the announced big three.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Okri wrote:
Damien wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:A relatively obscure 57 year-old French actress in a film most people have ever heard of about an artist most people have never heard of either seems like a hard sell, but in a year with no clear favorite she could be the fifth nominee we've been been searching for.

And who knows, she may come to Hollywood and charm the pants off the Academy membership and win the whole damn thing.
It struck me today after I did my LA predictions that Moreau could be a sleep winner with one or two critics groups, though I didn't expect it to be L.A.

I've seen the film and she is a deserving winner.

And I'm delighted that Carey Mulligan is 0 for 2. I was afraid of a Mulligan sweep this year.
What would the other one be?
National Society, and maybe one of the smaller regional groups showing their independence.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Damien wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:A relatively obscure 57 year-old French actress in a film most people have ever heard of about an artist most people have never heard of either seems like a hard sell, but in a year with no clear favorite she could be the fifth nominee we've been been searching for.

And who knows, she may come to Hollywood and charm the pants off the Academy membership and win the whole damn thing.
It struck me today after I did my LA predictions that Moreau could be a sleep winner with one or two critics groups, though I didn't expect it to be L.A.

And I'm delighted that Carey Mulligan is 0 for 2. I was afraid of a Mulligan sweep this year.
What would the other one be?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Instead it's looking like sweeps for Mo'Nique, Christopher Waltz and Kathryn Bigelow.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Big Magilla wrote: And who knows, she may come to Hollywood and charm the pants off the Academy membership and win the whole damn thing.

A La Cotillard Do you think? Mmm Hard to swollow

Edited By Hustler on 1260748292
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

A relatively obscure 57 year-old French actress in a film most people have ever heard of about an artist most people have never heard of either seems like a hard sell, but in a year with no clear favorite she could be the fifth nominee we've been been searching for.

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Here's the rest of the list:

Picture: Hurt Locker
RU: Up in the Air

Director: Kathryn Bigelow
RU: Michael Haneke

Foreign Film: Summer Hours
RU: The White Ribbon

Animation: Fantastic Mr. Fox
RU: Up

Actor: Jeff Bridges
RU: Colin Firth

Actress: Yolande Moreau - Seraphine
RU: Carey Mulligan

Edited By OscarGuy on 1260746524
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Also:

ANIMATION: "Fantastic Mr. Fox"
Runner-up: “Up"

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM: "Summer Hours"
Runner-up: "The White Ribbon"

Good for Summer Hours. And, finally, someone puts down the Pixar crack pipe.

Moreau may well be wonderful, but when LA picks somone obscure like that, it's generally their way of saying None of the Above to the front-runners.
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Well, the whole thing's getting hotter and hotter. :)
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Cinemanolis wrote:ACTRESS: Yolande Moreau, “Séraphine”
LOL! The Moreau campaign begins here.

It really is marvelous, both the performance and the film.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

PICTURE: “The Hurt Locker”
Runner-up: “Up in the Air”

DIRECTOR: Kathryn Bigelow, “The Hurt Locker”
Runner-up: Michael Haneke, “The White Ribbon”

ACTRESS: Yolande Moreau, “Séraphine”
Runner-up: Carey Mulligan, “An Education”

ACTOR: Jeff Bridges, “Crazy Heart”
Runner-up: Colin Firth, “A Single Man”

Edited By Cinemanolis on 1260745784
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Presented in two parts. Part II to be revealed between 2 and 2:30 P.M. PST

MUSIC/SCORE: T-Bone Burnett and Stephen Bruton, “Crazy Heart”
Runner-up: Alexandre Desplat, “Fantastic Mr. Fox”
PRODUCTION DESIGN: Philip Ivey, “District 9″
Runner-up: Rick Carter and Robert Stromberg, “Avatar”
CINEMATOGRAPHY: Christian Berger, “The White Ribbon”
Runner-up: Barry Ackroyd, “The Hurt Locker”
SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Mo’Nique, “Precious”
Runner-up: Anna Kendrick, “Up in the Air”
SUPPORTING ACTOR: Christoph Waltz, “Inglourious Basterds”
Runner-up: Peter Capaldi, “In the Loop”
SCREENPLAY: Jason Reitman and Sheldon Turner, “Up in the Air”
Runner-up: Jesse Armstrong, Simon Blackwell, Armando Iannucci and Tony Roche, “In the Loop”
DOCUMENTARY/NON-FICTION FILM: “The Beaches of Agnès” and “The Cove” (tie)
DOUGLAS E. EDWARDS INDEPENDENT/EXPERIMENTAL FILM/VIDEO: C.W. Winter and Anders Edstrom, “The Anchorage”

Edited By Big Magilla on 1260737052

Return to “82nd Predictions and Precursors”