LAFCA Winners

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

I'd say that Streep's weakest nomination was for Postcards from the Edge. But certainly Julie & Julia comes close; Streep is always good, but really, the movie is easily forgettable and if she wins it will be not only because after so many nominations it's time for her to be honored again, but also because the other nominees are too weak or not famous enough and in these cases turning to a respected veteran (regardless of the quality of the performance itself) is an easy way out.

We will see.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Big Magilla wrote:
flipp525 wrote:
Uri wrote:But what really bugs me is that the European Academy ignored Moreau in favor of that dreadful performance by Kate Winslet.

Can't we all just pretend that "The Reader" never happened?

No, but if Winslet had been nominated in support and won there as had been the push, Streep would probably have won in lead and there woudln't be all this talk about giving her a third Oscar for one of her weakest (presumed) nominations.

No, Streep's weakest nomination was for MUSIC OF THE HEART.

Something tells me there is probably so much more to Streep's performance in JULIA AND JULIE which had to be cut out to make room for the modern (and boring) portion of the movie.

Streep however gave a great performance. She truly is a great comic actor. I just wish the movie had been a more straight-forward biopic. Than Streep could have really shined.

Though I do agree, a win would be undeserved.

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1260819379
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

flipp525 wrote:
Uri wrote:But what really bugs me is that the European Academy ignored Moreau in favor of that dreadful performance by Kate Winslet.
No, but if Winslet had been nominated in support and won there as had been the push, Streep would probably have won in lead and there woudln't be all this talk about giving her a third Oscar for one of her weakest (presumed) nominations.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:
The Original BJ wrote:Not related to LAFCA...but I just learned from another board that Kathryn Bigelow is James Cameron's ex-wife. Am I the only one who didn't know this? Could it be possible that, come Oscar time, Best Director will feature, for the first time, exes competing against each other!!!
Typical Hollywood incest. Bigelow was the second of Cameron's five wives. He's currently married to Suzy Amis, ex-wife of Sam Robards who may well run into her former mother-in-law, Lauren Bacall, at this year's ceremony.

I don't know what the Cameron-Bigelow relationship is like these days but two of his former wives, Gale Anne Hurd and Linda Hamilton still have ties to the Terminator franchise. Hurd received writing credits for all 31 episodes of the Sarah Connor Chronicles series and Hamilton voiced Connor in the film Terminator Salvation.
Who was the fifth wife.....a high school sweetheart who got dumped for bigger names as Cameron attained fame?
His first wife was a non-professional, but since he married her seven years after emigrating to the U.S. from Canada, it probably wasn't a high school sweetheart.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Mister Tee wrote:
The Original BJ wrote:Not related to LAFCA...but I just learned from another board that Kathryn Bigelow is James Cameron's ex-wife. Am I the only one who didn't know this? Could it be possible that, come Oscar time, Best Director will feature, for the first time, exes competing against each other!!!
By all accounts, the Cameron/Bigelow relationship is extremely cordial -- I believe Cameron has even been supportive of some of Bigelow's more recent films.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0pv9XslEwg

From his comments in the above clip, it seems not only do they have a cordial relationship but Cameron will be personally nominating the film in several categories.

He calls it the PLATOON of the Iraq war. I can only hope he is right about its Oscar chances.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Damien wrote:
Okri wrote:I misunderstood. Mulligan won the NBR. Now, if you're referring to the big three, New York hasn't announced yet (the online critics were who announced today). So she's 1 for 2 of the big four, or 0 for 1 of the announced big three.
Oh I misunderstood you, too :) I was referring to LA and Boston. (The National Board isn't a critics group -- God only knows exactly what they are. lol)
The National Board of Review claimed in a recent press release to be an organization of film historians and students. It might be a good idea for them to have let the students in because otherwise the average age of the membership would be about 90 and might therefore not be around for very long.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Okri wrote:I misunderstood. Mulligan won the NBR. Now, if you're referring to the big three, New York hasn't announced yet (the online critics were who announced today). So she's 1 for 2 of the big four, or 0 for 1 of the announced big three.
Oh I misunderstood you, too :) I was referring to LA and Boston. (The National Board isn't a critics group -- God only knows exactly what they are. lol)
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

flipp525 wrote:
My own version of events has The Dark Knight nominated for Picture in place of the Nazi Lovin' Pedophile pic and Meryl Streep winning her second Best Actress.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

It's amazing this hasn't happened before, given 1) how many male directors dump their first wives post-success for trophies and 2) how devoted to the film business so many of those first wives were (think Polly Platt).

In fact, it struck me years ago how many Hollywood crap-fests feature ex-spouses running into one another in the process of resolving crises -- Twister immediately comes to mind, but I know there are plenty more. This situation I'm sure comes to screenwriters' minds because it happens in Hollywood far more often than in the rest of the world.

By all accounts, the Cameron/Bigelow relationship is extremely cordial -- I believe Cameron has even been supportive of some of Bigelow's more recent films. Eastwood/Locke this isn't.

And, yes, BJ, you're right: the ten-ness of Oscar this year is giving Hurt Locker a pass from the usual "is it commercial enough?" questions about a best picture nomination. That issue may arise when it comes to final voting for best director, but in the first round it's a moot point.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Big Magilla wrote:
Typical Hollywood incest. Bigelow was the second of Cameron's five wives. He's currently married to Suzy Amis, ex-wife of Sam Robards who may well run into her former mother-in-law, Lauren Bacall, at this year's ceremony.

I don't know what the Cameron-Bigelow relationship is like these days but two of his former wives, Gale Anne Hurd and Linda Hamilton still have ties to the Terminator franchise. Hurd received writing credits for all 31 episodes of the Sarah Connor Chronicles series and Hamilton voiced Connor in the film Terminator Salvation.
It always struck me as bizarre that the man who wrote some of the strongest female characters in Hollywood films would be such a horrible husband.

I am just over the moon though to see Kathryn Bigelow is not being forgotten at the end of the year. Nothing would make me happier than to see her and her film win big on Oscar night.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

OscarGuy wrote:Uri, I don't know how Edith Piaf won this award. I doubt that many Academy members were all that familiar with her work. But, you may be joking again, I have no way of telling with you.

Not really. Joking that is. There is no way anyone even remotely familiar with French popular culture of the 20th century who doesn't know who Piaf was. And I can't think of any artist one can claim to be of more iconic stature. I'm sure there isn't an Academy member over the age of 35 who wouldn't recognize her, and there aren't that many who are younger anyway. It was no coincidence that in Saving Private Ryan it was a Piaf record which was played for the Hanks' character to recognize – when required to use foreign facts or objects in his films, Spielberg is always going for those most obviously recognizable for common Americans. So yes, it was the fact that Piaf is such a stellar icon combined with the sheer melodramatic force of her life story that made it an actor proof role for Colitard.

Edited By Uri on 1260802934
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Uri, I don't know how Edith Piaf won this award. I doubt that many Academy members were all that familiar with her work. But, you may be joking again, I have no way of telling with you.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:

Who was the fifth wife.....a high school sweetheart who got dumped for bigger names as Cameron attained fame?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Return to “82nd Predictions and Precursors”