Boston Society of Film Critics Awards

Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Hustler wrote:The best foreign film is Summer Hours. A Gem. I´ve seen it at Mar del Plata film festival last year.
It's still my favorite movie of the year.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

The best foreign film is Summer Hours. A Gem. I´ve seen it at Mar del Plata film festival last year.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Indeed, the winners were being announced earlier than what was posted on the website, but their website was announced as each winner was selected.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Big Magilla wrote:
Hustler wrote:Could someone explain to me why Jeremy Renner (Male Lead) was nominated last year for this film along with Anthony Mackie (Supporting Male) at the independent Spirit Awards given the fact that its commercial release was this year?
The Spirits are not bound by such earthly matters.

The film was shown at last year's Venice, Toronto, Montreal and Mar del Plata Film Festivals, teh latter of which you may have attended, so it was fair game for their purposes.
Yep. It was shown at the opening night. Unfortunately I missed it because I arrived 2 hours later.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote:
rain Bard wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:They seem to be doing what New York does and announce them slowly as they are voted on.
I don't think that's official policy of the NYFFC. In past years there has been a mole texting results to the outside world. I wouldn't expect it to happen again this year, as said mole no longer lives in New York as far as I understand.
You're right there was a mole texting them out quicker, including mentioning runners-up -- I believe that was Mike D'Angelo. But NY does post winners on their site as they're determined.
No, it was the Post's Lou Lemerick who says since he's forbidden to text this year he will take notes and hotfoot back to the office this year and post the winners and runners-up on his blog.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

rain Bard wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:They seem to be doing what New York does and announce them slowly as they are voted on.
I don't think that's official policy of the NYFFC. In past years there has been a mole texting results to the outside world. I wouldn't expect it to happen again this year, as said mole no longer lives in New York as far as I understand.
You're right there was a mole texting them out quicker, including mentioning runners-up -- I believe that was Mike D'Angelo. But NY does post winners on their site as they're determined.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Hustler wrote:Could someone explain to me why Jeremy Renner (Male Lead) was nominated last year for this film along with Anthony Mackie (Supporting Male) at the independent Spirit Awards given the fact that its commercial release was this year?
The Spirits are not bound by such earthly matters.

The film was shown at last year's Venice, Toronto, Montreal and Mar del Plata Film Festivals, teh latter of which you may have attended, so it was fair game for their purposes.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Could someone explain to me why Jeremy Renner (Male Lead) was nominated last year for this film along with Anthony Mackie (Supporting Male) at the independent Spirit Awards given the fact that its commercial release was this year?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Still no foreign language selection. Maybe they won;t have one this year.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

That tie in ensemble is a bit odd. It's like platooning Albert Pujols and Monica Seles.

Random thought about Streep's selection: the Boston critics have been known to go for local favorites, like Mystic River. And Julia Child's PBS show was a WGBH/Boston production.

If things continue this way, we could have supporting Oscar winners largely decreed, but the top-line acting categories very competitive.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

It's probably taking as long as Best Actress and Ensemble Cast to come to a consensus on Foreign Film.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I think it won after two techs, honestly. That stated, anyone find it odd that they announced everything but foreign language film? I wonder if they forgot.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Mister Tee wrote:
Eric wrote:After the award for Renner, I can't imagine there's any doubt as to what their best picture will be.
I had the precisely same thought.
3 awards for Bigelow´s film so far.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Just a little bit surprised with Meryl´s award.

Return to “82nd Predictions and Precursors”