The Washington DC Film Critics Noms

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Critics Awards are generally set up to recognize the best films of the year. Many of them want to predict the Oscars, but several of them simply choose what's the best or put out unusual choices for the Academy to take note of.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Okri wrote:What are critics awards for anyway?
They're a great way for members of critic groups to keep on press screening and DVD screener lists.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Mister Tee wrote:
Okri wrote:The Kansas City Film Critics Awards predates the Los Angelos Film Critics Awards, if age is the main thing.

And given how mainstream the big three have become (the National Society going for Jamie Foxx), it seems somewhat churlish to dismiss another group for oscar stamping. Even if historically, that wasn't the case.
Seriously? I never heard of the Kansas City folk till a few years ago.

That Jamie Foxx win really sticks in your craw, doesn't it? I grant, I was pretty shocked by it (as I was by Theron the year prior). But they have since picked Pan's Labyrinth and Waltz with Bashir as best fillm, and given acting awards to Eddie Marsan and Hanna Schygulla, so it's not as if they've gone totally bourgeios.

My difficulty with the latter-day groups is they seem very monkey-see/monkey-do. If the old time critics' groups match one another, it's usually because the film or performance is something truly outstanding; these other groups just seem to take the most common denominator possibility and beat it into the ground.
A little bit. Fact is, in that dreary line-up at the oscars, I probably would've voted for Foxx. But in a year like 2004 where Bridges, Carrey, Hawke, Owen, Bernal etc all gave awesome performances, it's a little too on the nose. Additionally, I don't really see a lot of praise towards those minor groups who do more than rubber stamp - the Chlotrudis Awards for example. What are critics awards for anyway?

I also wonder if Slumdog Millionaire's unprecedented sweep (it won awards at every single guild + huge number of critics awards) made things seem worse than they really are.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Okri wrote:Best Film
Up in the Air

Best Director
Kathryn Bigelow
If UP IN THE AIR ends up being the Oscar Best Picture winner, it would be much easier to accept if Bigelow won director.

Much like the CRASH upset over BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN, I think it would have been a million times worse if Haggis had one director over Lee.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Okri wrote:The Kansas City Film Critics Awards predates the Los Angelos Film Critics Awards, if age is the main thing.

And given how mainstream the big three have become (the National Society going for Jamie Foxx), it seems somewhat churlish to dismiss another group for oscar stamping. Even if historically, that wasn't the case.
Seriously? I never heard of the Kansas City folk till a few years ago.

That Jamie Foxx win really sticks in your craw, doesn't it? I grant, I was pretty shocked by it (as I was by Theron the year prior). But they have since picked Pan's Labyrinth and Waltz with Bashir as best fillm, and given acting awards to Eddie Marsan and Hanna Schygulla, so it's not as if they've gone totally bourgeios.

My difficulty with the latter-day groups is they seem very monkey-see/monkey-do. If the old time critics' groups match one another, it's usually because the film or performance is something truly outstanding; these other groups just seem to take the most common denominator possibility and beat it into the ground.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Copied from another website

DC winners...

Best Film
Up in the Air | Paramount

Best Actor
George Clooney, Up in the Air

Best Actress
Carey Mulligan, An Education

Best Supporting Actor
Christoph Waltz | Inglourious Basterds

Best Supporting Actress
Mo’Nique | Precious

Best Director
Kathryn Bigelow | The Hurt Locker

Best Screenplay, Adapted
Up in the Air | Paramount

Best Screenplay, Original
Inglourious Basterds | Weinstein Company

Best Breakthrough Performance
Gabourey Sidibe | Precious

Best Ensemble
The Hurt Locker | Summit Entertainment

Best Animated Film
Up | Walt Disney

Best Foreign Film
Sin Nombre | Focus Features

Best Art Direction
Nine | The Weinstein Company

Best Documentary
Food, Inc. | Magnolia
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Mister Tee wrote:Expecting me to care about the choices of another recently-formed critics' group that seems chiefly interested in promoting an Oscar consensus is silly enough. But asking me to be interested in their nominees for best art direction is several bridges too far.
The Kansas City Film Critics Awards predates the Los Angelos Film Critics Awards, if age is the main thing. And given how mainstream the big three have become (the National Society going for Jamie Foxx), it seems somewhat churlish to dismiss another group for oscar stamping. Even if historically, that wasn't the case.
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

I m glad Bullock is doing well. :)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Eric wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:18-49 year-olds or whatever the key demographic is these days
I think it's moved down to 18-34.
Sheesh!
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Big Magilla wrote:18-49 year-olds or whatever the key demographic is these days
I think it's moved down to 18-34.
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

Well, we won't have to care for much longer. They announce their winners tomorrow.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Expecting me to care about the choices of another recently-formed critics' group that seems chiefly interested in promoting an Oscar consensus is silly enough. But asking me to be interested in their nominees for best art direction is several bridges too far.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

flipp525 wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:I don't think anyone gives a hoot about the D.C. critics

Hey, watch it. We have some excellent local critics here.

Well, obviously I meant in the scheme of things. The "old guard" Academy members still pay attention to the National Board of Review, the New York Film Crtiics, the L.A. Film Critics and the Golden Globes. The newer members might put more weight on the Broadcast Critics, but the only thing other groups bring to the collective mindset is their consensus.

The irony this year is that the expansion to ten nominees may not bring any more interest in the general public but the prospect of seeing four popular stars win Oscars might - how many more 18-49 year-olds or whatever the key demographic is these days, will tune in to potentially see Jeff Bridges, Sandra Bullock, Woody Harrelson and Mo'Nique accept their Oscars?

Edited By Big Magilla on 1260125809
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

OscarGuy wrote:What the fuck is with all these fucking groups who announce a date for their awards/nominations and then say fuck it and do it early? This irritates the hell out of me.
But how do you really feel Wes?
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Big Magilla wrote:I don't think anyone gives a hoot about the D.C. critics
Hey, watch it. We have some excellent local critics here.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Return to “82nd Predictions and Precursors”