2009 Satellite Nominations

rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Wow OscarGuy, pretty impressive that you called the nomination for IT MIGHT GET LOUD in the sound department. You were predicting it for the Oscars, but the fact that the Satellites recognized it is interesting. They must have really liked it since it was also nominated for Editing and Cinematography.

The trailer for RED CLIFF looks quite amazing. I am not sure what the quality of the dramatic aspects is, but the cinematic aspects (editing, cinematography, set, costumes, etc.) look amazing. Oscar noms in multiple categories is possible even if no nomination for foreign film.

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1259861807
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
matthew
Graduate

Post by matthew »

Seems a bit schizophrenic...lots of love for Bright Star but not in costumes and cinematography...?
sijmen
Graduate

Post by sijmen »

I must say I'm with rain bard on Ponyo. Although I'm not a big fan of Miyazaki, I LOVED this film a lot. It might be far less ambitious and pretentious than Howl's Moving Castle, but I enjoyed the innocence and the childlike imagination of the film. It’s really a film for kids, and watching it I discovered I still am one…

I haven't seen the American dubbed version, but I saw some interviews with that Cyrus-sister and that Jonas-brother that gave me a headache just listening to. (not to mention that dreadful American Ponyo-song)

Speaking of the soundtrack, Ponyo would be a shoo-in best original score nominee in my book.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

They seem to have been, probably because they were posted a day early. I guess it took them all day to figure that out. However they are posted on Oscar Guy's main site:

http://www.oscarguy.com/
matthew
Graduate

Post by matthew »

Have the list of nominees been taken down from the website? I can't seem to find them...
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Big Magilla wrote:Getting a jump on the coming onslaught of year-end film lists ...

The IPA did not see "Avatar" before voting.

I'm not saying Avatar does or does not merit consideration, but ... well, priorities have become irreparably skewed.

Edited By Eric on 1259547926
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Here's the press release:

Getting a jump on the coming onslaught of year-end film lists, the International Press Academy announced its nominations for its 14th annual Satellite Awards on Sunday.

The nominees for best drama are "The Hurt Locker," "Bright Star," "An Education," "The Messenger," "Precious" and "The Stoning of Soroya M."

Nominees for best comedy or musical are "Julie & Julia," "The Informant!," "A Serious Man," "It's Complicated," "Up in the Air" and "Nine."

The group, which represents more than 100 entertainment journalists, also released a list of its 10 best films of 2009, voted by the IPA board, which included several titles that did not garner either best drama or best comedy/musical noms. Its top 10 are "(500) Days of Summer," "A Serious Man," "An Education," "Bright Star," "Inglourious Basterds," "Nine," "Precious," "The Hurt Lucker," "The Stoning of Soraya M." and "Up in the Air."

According to IPA president Mirjana Van Blaricom, the group did screen such year-end contenders as "The Lovely Bones" and "Invictus," though neither film scored any nominations. The IPA did not see "Avatar" before voting.

Nominations were announced in 22 film categories, 12 TV categories, seven DVD categories and five video game categories.

The awards will be presented Dec. 20 at the InterContinental Hotel in Century City.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Now's as good a time as any to chime in on Ponyo -- I don't think I commented much on it when I saw it over the summer.

I have to side with those who didn't like it as much as some other Miyazaki films -- which is to say it's disappointing only in the way that Cars isn't as good as other Pixar films. But I still thought Ponyo was hugely worthwhile, 100% deserving of an Animated Feature nomination this year.

I think my main criticism would simply be that some of the narrative lacks urgency. A lot of Miyazaki films feature driving narratives that really sweep you up in his amazing visuals (recently Princess Mononoke & Spirited Away). A bit of Ponyo to me felt like the last act of Howl's, where the story starts to feel a little loose. Obviously, I'm not expecting a high-octane edge-of-your-seat experience; that's not what Miyazaki provides. But, well, I can only admit that some of the last half had me a little antsy.

But of lot of it is splendid. I loved the family members flashing lights to one another, the weird way Ponyo transitions from fish to human (was that some kind of weird bird-like creature?!), another memorable Hisaishi score, the exquisitely rendered storm sequence.

I agree that it's in an iffy spot for a nomination, simply because it didn't catch on as well as some other Miyazaki films, and it's a competitive year, but I think it's important not to underestimate how much reverence American animators have for Miyazaki. (One need only listen to ANY of the Pixar guys fawn over him to realize he's hugely respected within the animation community -- the group that does the Oscar nominating.) And for those who think Cloudy's box office success has sealed its nomination, remember that Howl's Moving Castle scored an equally iffy nomination when voters just as easily could have gone with big hits Madagascar, Robots, or Chicken Little.

I maintain that Coraline isn't in much danger of losing its nomination -- it's totally what they go for in this category. But what do I know, since everyone else seems to be doubting it these days.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

OscarGuy wrote:My biggest problem is that they are treating this as a love story with six-year-olds. That's a bit too young for me.
That's not what I took away from that movie at all.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

My biggest problem is that they are treating this as a love story with six-year-olds. That's a bit too young for me. I honestly don't even think some of the visuals are that stunning. Most of Miyazaki's work has been astounding, but this one felt a bit weak and uninspired.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

That does seem to be a dominant consensus view on Ponyo, to my disappointment. I also know I'm not alone in considering it approximately as good as any of his other masterpieces, in some ways perhaps even better. I found his Hokusai-inspired line drawings to help make some of his most visually stunning work- the scene of Ponyo racing atop the waves to catch Sosuke is particularly thrilling.

I also really like that he is in no way pandering to his more adolescent or adult fans; this film seems squarely aimed at a four-year-old (and though I fell for the film on my first viewing, in a child-free crowd, I've since learned that he hit at least some of the members of this age group perfectly; I know several young kids who just love it).

The only criticisms I've heard that I can understand at all are either levelled at the English-language dub, where the typecasting of Cate Blanchett has come under fire, and dissatisfaction from one feminist-minded viewer who loved the girl-empowerment themes of some earlier Miyazaki's (notably Spirited Away) and found Ponyo lacking in that department. I wonder what your own criticisms of the film are. Is the film really so weak that it doesn't deserve awards recognition? I can't help but think that many critics finding fault in it wouldn't do so if it were their first experience exploring Miyazaki's world.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Not curmudgeonly at all. I've liked most Miyazaki films, but this was so inferior to everything I've seen of his so far...it doesn't deserve consideration as the best of the year, then again, there are other films this year that probably don't either, but they'll get nominated.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Curmudgeon :p
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Well, personally, I'm hopeful Ponyo doesn't make it through. I thought it was very weak Miyazaki. Haven't seen Coraline, so can't comment on that one.
Wesley Lovell
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Right, but with six slots on the Satellite nomination list and only five on the Academy's, there's not room for all three non-"mixed media" films. (presuming Up, Princess & Mr. Fox are secure)

I should've said Ponyo and/or Coraline. Sad these two films will likely be pitted against each other. (I know which I prefer, but I appreciate the argument for the other as well)

Return to “82nd Predictions and Precursors”