Rules change

The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Is Lars von Trier an Academy member? Somehow I think not.

But if he is...watch out, music branch!!
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I wasn't trying to be snarky, Tee, because I think it's a good rule, but Mel Brooks immediately popped into my head. Abetter example would have been Ethan Hawke (I assume he's an Academy member) who can now vote in the acting and writing categroies.

Edited By Damien on 1258782257
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Apparently, I explained that poorly, Damien, because your explanation is exactly how I understood it in my head.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I grant it can get silly, with the Mel Brooks example Damien offers, and the Coens getting to nominate film, director, writer and editor (do they have to submit the latter under Roderick Jayne's name?). But certain people it seems to me shouldn't have to limit themselves to one category -- Woody Allen (if he cared to vote), Alexander Payne or Pedro Almodovar ought to be choosing both directing and writing nominees, and Warren Beatty or Emma Thompson certainly rate opinions in the multiple categories in which they've received nominations (in Emma's case, wins).
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

No, Wes. The old rule was that if you are a hyphenated film artist, you get to choose yourself which branch you want to be a member of. This new rule which said if you're nominated outside of your own branch you can vote in that branch was implemented several months ago. In other words, nominated multi-taskers can now nominate in any category they're nominated in. Which means, I guess, Mel Brooks can now nominate in the Best Song category.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

All members of AMPAS are either members of a specific branch - acting, directing, etc. or "member at large".

The old rule was that members could only nominate people in categories within their own branch and Best Picture. Members at large could cast nomination ballots for Best Picture.

The new rule (apparently) allows members of a specific branch to nominate people in other branches in which they themselves have been nominated. The change does not apply to members at large.

Pete Dokter, whom I presume is a member of the animation branch, was previously nominated for co-writing the screenplays for Toy Story and WALL-E so he (presumably) now gets to nominate people in the two screenplay categories in addition to the animated categories.

Warren Beatty, who I believe is a member of the Directors branch can now (again, presumably) nominate people in the acting and writing categories as well as in direction.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1258766483
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

This is odd. That rule was publicized some time ago, but it was said that the members gets to decide which branch he or she gets to nominate in, not that they get to nominate in all branches.

And this guy is stating facts a bit wrongly. It doesn't matter what category you were nominated in. It depended on which branch you were admitted into. Typically, it was the same category in which you were nominated, however there are plenty of Academy members (Dakota Fanning for an extreme example) who have not and likely won't ever get nominated. So, by Hammond's rationale, these individuals would never get to vote because they weren't nominated in a category. But, I'm being facetious in this last point. It was whatever branch they were admitted to, not the category. For example, I believe Mel Gibson may have been admitted in the Acting branch in lieu of directing even though that's where his nomination was.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

I think this is actually one of the more sensible rules changes.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Notes on a Season
Pete Hammond

November 20, 2009 | 9:34 am

In chatting with "Up" director Pete Docter I stumbled onto an interesting change just adopted in the Oscars voting process that affects writing, directing and acting hyphenates. The way it has normally worked is members of a branch such as acting who may also have been nominated previously in another category such as writing or directing were still only allowed to nominate people in their specific branch (and of course in the best picture category, where all members are eligible to vote). Beginning this year, anyone who has ever been nominated at any time for an Oscar in a category outside of their own area will now be allowed to also nominate in that race too.

This means multi-hyphenates such as actor Warren Beatty now get a say in the exclusive directing and writing clubs as well. Docter, a member of the animation branch, was nominated as a writer last year for "Wall-E" along with other 'toon branch members Andrew Stanton and Jim Reardon. All have been informed that they are suddenly eligible to vote for writing nominations for the first time. Depending on the numbers of academy members affected by this change, it could have an impact on some races.

"They are obviously looking for ways to shake things up, because until this year it was just the people in that branch that did the nominating," Docter says. "Now we'll see what happens. If they are gonna honor someone with a nomination, letting you help nominate the next one makes a lot of sense."

Return to “82nd Predictions and Precursors”