Globes to air live across U.S. - No more time zone delays

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

--Mister Tee wrote:Wow -- excuse my provincial ignorance, but I never knew this was an issue. Have you West Coasters been weighing in late all these years and I just never noticed?

Pretty much.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1258572968
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Yeah. I've purposely had to ignore the board for hours on Globes night simply because I didn't want the winners spoiled.

It was even hard to look at posts as categories were announced, simply because seeing the number of posts in other threads could prep one for certain outcomes (For example, the situation I remember most was seeing an abundant number of replies to Best Actress (Drama) '02, and thinking someone other than Julianne Moore had copped the trophy, scoring what at that point seemed to me a pretty sizable upset.)

Edited By The Original BJ on 1238728682
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Wow -- excuse my provincial ignorance, but I never knew this was an issue. Have you West Coasters been weighing in late all these years and I just never noticed?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

As of now only the Oscars and Independent Spirit Awards air live on the West Coast on cable.

I don't know if they still do, but when I had satellite, TNT and TBS would air in real time so any award shows they aired such as the SAG awards would air as they happened but cable services employ the delay.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Do all the award shows do this, and play delayed on the West Coast?
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I think this is good news. I would always do EVERYTHING possible to avoid having these winners spoiled, even to the extent of telling friends I didn't want to hear about the winners they had read about online, but year after year, at least something would be ruined for me.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – The Golden Globes will air live across the United States for the first time next year, meaning viewers on the west coast won't have to wait three hours to see what Hollywood stars wore to the annual awards bash.

In a statement issued on Thursday, event organizer the Hollywood Foreign Press Association acknowledged that the time delay was a quaint vestige of a simpler time.

"In this age when news is disseminated with increasing rapidity, the Hollywood Foreign Press Association is delighted to announce that this year's Golden Globe Awards telecast will be aired live nationwide," said president Jorge Camara.

The 67th annual installment of the Golden Globes will be held on Sunday, January 17 at 5 p.m. PST (0100 GMT, Jan 18), and broadcast in the United States on NBC. Nominations will be announced on December 15.

The Golden Globe Awards annually are one of Hollywood's most-watched awards shows where the stars turn out in their finest gowns and tuxedos to parade up the red carpet and where awards are given for best films, TV shows and performances.

The Oscars, the world's top film honors handed out by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, also air live across the United States.

But music industry's Grammys and television's Emmys still adhere to three-hour time delays. Officials at both organizations did not immediately offer reactions to the Golden Globe announcement.

The Golden Globes are produced by Dick Clark Prods., which also puts on the American Music Awards and the Academy of Country Music Awards. Company president Orly Adelson said there were no plans to air the music shows live nationally because the emphasis is on performances rather than who actually wins.

With the Globes, "You want the audience to be live with you," she said, noting that large numbers of Americans watch the show at viewing parties.

Return to “82nd Predictions and Precursors”