82nd Oscars - Best Director

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Tip to female directors: Don't bring any of you silly feminism or womanly instincts to your film. Make it emotionless and vicious, direct it like a man, and you'll get your Oscar...take that Lina Wertmuller, Jane Campion and Sofia Coppola.

Bullshit.

A marginal female tokenism (as Armond White has said) propelled The Hurt Locker to the forefront, but mostly it won because Slumdog Millioniare was not up this year. If something else was in the running, it would have won. The Hurt Locker was a fluke, and a somewhat awesome one. This is not indicative of what it takes for a female to win Best Director.
"How's the despair?"
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Uri wrote:I loved the fact that this evening was all about the fetish Bigelow has about uniforms.

Anyway, she directs like John Milius and looks like Cindy Crawford – get it Barbra?
As opposed to Barbra, who directs like Lesley Selander and looks like Fanny Brice. :D
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

I loved the fact that this evening was all about the fetish Bigelow has about uniforms.

Anyway, she directs like John Milius and looks like Cindy Crawford – get it Barbra?
mashari
Temp

Post by mashari »

I sensed that, too and did Kathryn thank James? I missed it if she did.
"The only thing I regret about my past is the length of it. If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes... only sooner."--Tallulah Bankhead
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Anyone else feel like Streisand was a little upset to be presenting the first woman a Best Director Oscar instead of being the first woman to win a Best Director Oscar?
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

"I Am Woman" was a joke among feminists and the men who supported them even back in 1972 when it was released. That they played it tonight was, frankly, shocking. Maybe this was the one shout out tonight to Allan Carr -- pure camp.

Edited By Damien on 1268027367
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

They're walking her off with "I am woman, here me roar" playing in the orchestra pit. Beyond tacky.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Snick's Guy
Temp

Post by Snick's Guy »

omg, did they just play "I Am woman" -- how tacky
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Tip to female directors: Don't bring any of you silly feminism or womanly instincts to your film. Make it emotionless and vicious, direct it like a man, and you'll get your Oscar...take that Lina Wertmuller, Jane Campion and Sofia Coppola.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I love how they made it, "Will it be a WOMAN or a BLACK MAN or one of those other three guys?"
inky
Temp

Post by inky »

The surprise - Barbra Streisand accepted the invitation to present this award ...
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Kathryn Bigelow - The Hurt Locker
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “82nd Nominations and Winners”