82nd Oscars - Best Actress

anonymous1980
Emeritus

Postby anonymous1980 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:49 am

I don't think she deserves to win based on her performance but I have to say she did give a great, gracious speech so it's tough for me to hate her.

Damien
Laureate

Postby Damien » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:44 am

bettestreep2008 wrote:shouldn't the awards be given to the BEST not the most POPULAR or the one that best reflects POP CULTURE???

Oh, you are naive aren't you? We're talking about the OSCARS.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell

Damien
Laureate

Postby Damien » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:42 am

Sonic Youth wrote:
Damien wrote:I don't like her performance in The Blind Sight, but I do very much like her work in The Blind Sight,

Eh?

Whoops LOL Replace the second Blind Sight with Infamous. It's been a long day. :D
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell

bettestreep2008
Graduate

Postby bettestreep2008 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:33 am

shouldn't the awards be given to the BEST not the most POPULAR or the one that best reflects POP CULTURE???

Sadly I think the only way Meryl will win another Oscar is a consolation lifetime achievement award.

You'd think that the fact Meryl has worked with probably EVERYONE in the Kodak theatre - there might have been a little love for her this time around!

Sonic Youth
Laureate

Postby Sonic Youth » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:27 am

Damien wrote:I don't like her performance in The Blind Sight, but I do very much like her work in The Blind Sight,

Eh?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Damien
Laureate

Postby Damien » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:23 am

Congratulations, VanHelsing, and I hope you revel in a special night. I know how I'd feel if Ethan Hawke won an Oscar (although I rather dread it because I can imagine the snarky backlash).

I don't like her performance in The Blind Sight, but I do very much like her work in The Blind Sight, and anyways, I always expect the Oscars to be a barometer of pop culture history more than a litany of great works in cinema. So I'm fine with her victory. It seems right for the times and she did give a lovely, and very moving, speech. For great cinema, you can look at my year's favorites (or my gang's awards, the IRAs). But this Best Actress award is perfectly fine given the parameters of the Oscars.

mashari
Temp

Postby mashari » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:03 am

bettestreep2008 wrote:This was posted by Randomdude over at Goldderby;-

"Congrats-in-advance to future Best Actress winners Cameron Diaz, Jessica Alba, Miley Cyrus, and Rumer Willis."

He left out Paris Hilton, Heidi Montag and Snookie from Jersey Shore!

Sorry guys - LOVE Sandra Bullock but she joins an illustrious group of first time actress winners who will NEVER be nominated ever again;-

Helen Hunt, Gwyneth Paltrow, Reese Witherspoon and now Sandra Bullock!

What the hell does Merryl need to do to win her SECOND Best Actress Oscar???

To paraphrase Sally Field's acceptance speech

Meryl "They DON'T like you, they really DON'T"!

Most of them are a bunch of nuts over there.
"The only thing I regret about my past is the length of it. If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes... only sooner."--Tallulah Bankhead

bettestreep2008
Graduate

Postby bettestreep2008 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:02 am

Best Actress Nominees for 2010;-

Miley Cyrus - The Last Song
Annette Benning - The kids are alright (her 4th)
Julianne Moore - the kids are alright (her 5th)
Hilary Swank - Betty Anne Waters (her 3rd, 2 wins)
Meryl Streep - The Ice at the bottom of the world (her 17th, 2 wins)

wouldn't it be a hoot if Swank wins her 3rd oscar - making her the SECOND MOST HONOURED ACTRESS in Academy history!

Behind Katherine Hepburn - but ahead of Bette Davis, Jane Fonda, Sally Field, Jessica Lange, Merryl Streep, Olivia De Havilland, Vivienne Leigh and Elizabeth Taylor!

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:53 am

Whatever you think about Bullock's win you have to admit that she gave one of the best speeches of the night.

dws1982
Tenured

Postby dws1982 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:53 am

Snick's Guy wrote:I am trying to think back. When was the last time someone won Best Actress at the Oscars without being named previously by a single, reputable critic or critic's group prior to the Golden Globe winner being announced?

Loaded question. Ask a legitimate one next time please.

bettestreep2008
Graduate

Postby bettestreep2008 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:51 am

This was posted by Randomdude over at Goldderby;-

"Congrats-in-advance to future Best Actress winners Cameron Diaz, Jessica Alba, Miley Cyrus, and Rumer Willis."

He left out Paris Hilton, Heidi Montag and Snookie from Jersey Shore!

Sorry guys - LOVE Sandra Bullock but she joins an illustrious group of first time actress winners who will NEVER be nominated ever again;-

Helen Hunt, Gwyneth Paltrow, Reese Witherspoon and now Sandra Bullock!

What the hell does Merryl need to do to win her SECOND Best Actress Oscar???

To paraphrase Sally Field's acceptance speech

Meryl "They DON'T like you, they really DON'T"!

Snick's Guy
Temp

Postby Snick's Guy » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:42 am

I am trying to think back. When was the last time someone won Best Actress at the Oscars without being named previously by a single, reputable critic or critic's group prior to the Golden Globe winner being announced?

Even Winslet received a few minor mentions here and there from a few critics prior to her Golden Globe win.

Edited By Snick's Guy on 1268027214

mashari
Temp

Postby mashari » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:41 am

OscarGuy wrote:I don't think this will be the last we see of Sandra. Infamous is an example that she does take her work seriously, which suggests that she may very well be back. This might also encourage her to take on more strong roles just to prove her critics wrong.

I don't think it will be the last either. She knows she can't except throwaway films anymore.
"The only thing I regret about my past is the length of it. If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes... only sooner."--Tallulah Bankhead

VanHelsing
Assistant

Postby VanHelsing » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:35 am

Yup, in 2015, she might be our next Hilary Swank hehe.

But I'd rather her not nominated again 'cause I can't bear the thought of her losing. I don't want to end up like a sore loser, if you know what I mean. YIKES! :p

But for now, I'm enjoying every single nanosecond of this sweet sweet sweet moment!

In fact, I think her victory would speed up my recovery from tonsillitis. LOL! :D

Is her winning speech up on YouTube already? I'm gonna have to watch it and put it on replay mode for like multiple times till I get well haha.
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Postby OscarGuy » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:29 am

I don't think this will be the last we see of Sandra. Infamous is an example that she does take her work seriously, which suggests that she may very well be back. This might also encourage her to take on more strong roles just to prove her critics wrong.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “82nd Nominations and Winners”