82nd Oscars - Best Actress

Snick's Guy
Temp

Post by Snick's Guy »

I am trying to think back. When was the last time someone won Best Actress at the Oscars without being named previously by a single, reputable critic or critic's group prior to the Golden Globe winner being announced?

Even Winslet received a few minor mentions here and there from a few critics prior to her Golden Globe win.

Edited By Snick's Guy on 1268027214
mashari
Temp

Post by mashari »

OscarGuy wrote:I don't think this will be the last we see of Sandra. Infamous is an example that she does take her work seriously, which suggests that she may very well be back. This might also encourage her to take on more strong roles just to prove her critics wrong.
I don't think it will be the last either. She knows she can't except throwaway films anymore.
"The only thing I regret about my past is the length of it. If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes... only sooner."--Tallulah Bankhead
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

Yup, in 2015, she might be our next Hilary Swank hehe.

But I'd rather her not nominated again 'cause I can't bear the thought of her losing. I don't want to end up like a sore loser, if you know what I mean. YIKES! :p

But for now, I'm enjoying every single nanosecond of this sweet sweet sweet moment!

In fact, I think her victory would speed up my recovery from tonsillitis. LOL! :D

Is her winning speech up on YouTube already? I'm gonna have to watch it and put it on replay mode for like multiple times till I get well haha.
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I don't think this will be the last we see of Sandra. Infamous is an example that she does take her work seriously, which suggests that she may very well be back. This might also encourage her to take on more strong roles just to prove her critics wrong.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

Thanks SY.

I still remember you said that Sandy stands no chance whatsoever to be even nominated even if this was a weak year :p

Oh, I don't give a damn. The P-A-T-H-E-T-I-C Streepites can whine and whine and whine and it'll never change the fact that Sandy's the WINNER.

World Peace! :laugh:

-------

Snick's Guy
Temp

Post by Snick's Guy »

On a personal level, I really like Sandra, and think she is genuinely a super nice person, but the award is for best actress -- not best liked or most popular -- or top box office draw of 2009.

You really get the feeling that Sandra herself is embarassed to have won, knowing herself she did not turn in the best performance of the year (or even close to it) -- so much for the integrity of the awards themselves.

Like Hunt, Paltrow and Berry before her, this will be Bullock's first and last appearance at the Oscars as a best actress nominee.

Edited By Snick's Guy on 1268026329
bettestreep2008
Graduate

Post by bettestreep2008 »

Now that Sandra has an oscar - all Miley cyrus has to do is dye her hair black and perfect a british accent - and voila "Best Actress 2011"
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Snick's Guy wrote:
VanHelsing wrote:Academy Award WINNER Sandra Bullock!!!

Now, I can R.I.P. :laugh:

Superb speech and Whitaker was sooooooo cute when he called Sandra, Sandy.
And you can add "Razzie Winner" to her epitath as well.
Oh, let him have his moment.

Congrulations, V Helsing.

Now, best you scram. The rest of the board probably won't be so nice about it from now on.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Snick's Guy
Temp

Post by Snick's Guy »

VanHelsing wrote:Academy Award WINNER Sandra Bullock!!!

And you can add "Razzie Winner" to her epitath as well.
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

Academy Award WINNER Sandra Bullock!!!

-------

bettestreep2008
Graduate

inky - I think Monique was referring to the internet hate campaign that some critics started when she snubbed them at their award shows.

Rumours started that she only attended the awards shows only if she got paid to do so.

This went on throughout the entire awards season and I think Mo'nique was peeved that she was told by her agents that she had to make more of an effort of "schmoozing" rather than let the performance do all the talking.

I'm just annoyed that Merryl will probably go down in the history books as the most nominated actor (male or female) with fewer Lead actress oscars than Hilary Swank or Sally Field!

Seriously - Sally and Hilary have a 100% success rate (2 wins out of 2 noms) whereas the brilliant Merryl is languishing on just 1 lead oscar out of 13 lead noms!)
Snick's Guy
Temp

Post by Snick's Guy »

OscarGuy wrote:Now, it's criminal when someone with plenty of nominations loses for a great performance (Streep in Doubt last year), but when it's something as unchallenging as Julie & Julia, then I don't really see it as much of a loss. I would have preferred a Sidibe win, but I'm ok with Bullock.
Though not the strongest Streep performance, it is funny that some seem to dismiss Julie And Julia as "unchallenging" or lightweight. How many other actresses would have been brave enough to have tackled the role of Julia Child? On the other hand, I think of scores of actresses who could have played Sandy's role in The Blind Side. Compared to Julie and Julia, The Blind Side is a light and fluffy as cotton candy.
inky
Temp

Post by inky »

bettestreep2008 wrote:Sorry Academy - Bullocks win was a win for POPULARITY and not for the BEST PERFORMANCE!
So what Mo'nique said only applied to herself.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'm very glad Streep didn't win. I reject the idea that someone should win just because they have so many nominations. If that were the case, then Kevin O'Connell should win for Sound Mixing.

Now, it's criminal when someone with plenty of nominations loses for a great performance (Streep in Doubt last year), but when it's something as unchallenging as Julie & Julia, then I don't really see it as much of a loss. I would have preferred a Sidibe win, but I'm ok with Bullock.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
bettestreep2008
Graduate

I absolutely love Sandra Bullock and she was very good in Blind Side

BUT

Merryl was brilliant in Julie and Julia and she has lost 14 times straight - sometimes to less deserving performers.

This isn't as criminal as when Merryl lost out to the goddawful Paltrow - but very close.

As for her winning next year - well won't she be up against either Julianne Moore and/or Annette Benning for the lesbian drama The Kids are alright???

I am predicting she will be given a consolation "Governors Award" or "Lifetime Achievement Award" next year!

Sorry Academy - Bullocks win was a win for POPULARITY and not for the BEST PERFORMANCE!

Return to “82nd Nominations and Winners”