82nd Academy Awards -- The Show

anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Damien wrote:It seems as if Shankman is going after the gay teenage boy demographic, but he had them at "Welcome To The 82nd Annual Academy Awards."
Oh, I don't know.

I've come across gay guys whose tastes are more similar to teenage girls in that they also believe New Moon was robbed of a Best Picture nomination.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

It seems as if Shankman is going after the gay teenage boy demographic, but he had them at "Welcome To The 82nd Annual Academy Awards."
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Frankly, I would not have minded these Oscar presenters if the Academy hadn't ditched the Honorary Oscars out of the telecast.

If Taylor Lautner or Miley Cyrus could get even a couple of Twilight fans or Miley Cyrus fans to sit through an Honorary Oscar presentation of Lauren Bacall, Gordon Willis or even Roger Corman and get them interested, it would be a wonderful thing indeed.

But we're not even gonna have that.

Edited By anonymous on 1266898536
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote:I'm thinking the comparison to Allan Carr, which may work as far as the pure dismal quality, is inexact. Carr was catering to a dwindling demographic -- people who were actually excited to see Merv Griffin, or "Ryan and Farrah together". These people had been turned off to movies pretty much since Jack Valenti amended the Production Code, so Carr's bow to them seemed a hopelessly past-it notion.

But Shankman is tryuing to bring in a demographic that's NEVER watched or cared about the Oscars -- the young folk whose interest in movies is utterly limited to the crud that infests the malls weekend after weekend. It makes sense he's staging a tribute to John Hughes, because Hughes is the 20-30 years ago miner of that stratum. Such crud movies existed when I was a kid, too -- there were people whose greatest film-excitement was about stuff from Taras Bulba to You Only Live Twice -- but such persons, to my knowledge, never expressed the slimmest bit of interest in the Oscars. If they did express an opinion, it was disdain.

So, the difference is this: Carr was calling out to an Academy that was a has-been; Shankman is seeking one that never was.
Exactly.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'm sure his excuse will be he wants to tap into Young Hollywood in a way that audiences will recognize. Then what about people like Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Bradley Cooper, Topher Grace, Anne Hathaway... the well recognized young actors who can actually act?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

In case anyone was losing confidence about this show's potential for major awfulness, a press release:

Beverly Hills, CA — Miley Cyrus, Zac Efron, Taylor Lautner and Kristen Stewart will present at the 82nd Academy Awards®, telecast producers Adam Shankman and Bill Mechanic announced today. This will be Cyrus and Efron’s second appearance, and Lautner and Stewart’s debut on an Academy Awards telecast.

I'm thinking the comparison to Allan Carr, which may work as far as the pure dismal quality, is inexact. Carr was catering to a dwindling demographic -- people who were actually excited to see Merv Griffin, or "Ryan and Farrah together". These people had been turned off to movies pretty much since Jack Valenti amended the Production Code, so Carr's bow to them seemed a hopelessly past-it notion.

But Shankman is tryuing to bring in a demographic that's NEVER watched or cared about the Oscars -- the young folk whose interest in movies is utterly limited to the crud that infests the malls weekend after weekend. It makes sense he's staging a tribute to John Hughes, because Hughes is the 20-30 years ago miner of that stratum. Such crud movies existed when I was a kid, too -- there were people whose greatest film-excitement was about stuff from Taras Bulba to You Only Live Twice -- but such persons, to my knowledge, never expressed the slimmest bit of interest in the Oscars. If they did express an opinion, it was disdain.

So, the difference is this: Carr was calling out to an Academy that was a has-been; Shankman is seeking one that never was.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Adam Shankman's NPR interview on the Oscars.

Contains a couple of interesting tidbits.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

anonymous wrote:FYI: I would not be rejoicing over the cutting of the Best Original Song numbers. I do believe the last time they didn't perform the original song nominees was in the infamous Allan Carr show since he had to make time for that hideous opening number.

Adam Shankman has a dance number or two planned so, yes, we have reasons to be afraid.
So, what kind of show are we going to watch?
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

'Up in the Air' author Walter Kirn didn't receive an Oscar invite and he has taken to Twitter to vent.

"Caution to writers: Don't expect that because you write a novel that becomes an Oscar-nominated film that you'll be invited to the Oscars," he tweeted on Tuesday.

Kirn wrote that instead of watching the ceremony in the Kodak Theater, he will be live blogging while watching it on TV.

'Up in the Air' is nominated for six Oscars, including best picture and best adapted screenplay.

A Paramount rep told the New York Post, "The Academy has a process that we are following and we are respectfully waiting for them to allocate additional tickets. Of course, Walter Kirn is on our wish list for seats, as are producers and executive producers of our film who do not have seats yet."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010....37.html
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

FYI: I would not be rejoicing over the cutting of the Best Original Song numbers. I do believe the last time they didn't perform the original song nominees was in the infamous Allan Carr show since he had to make time for that hideous opening number.

Adam Shankman has a dance number or two planned so, yes, we have reasons to be afraid.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

At this point, I'm waiting for the Academy producers to declare The Hurt Locker ineligible for awards because it didn't make enough money.

Good god, this ceremony is going to be a nightmare.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

anonymous wrote:It's been confirmed: John Hughes will get a seperate tribute.
The death of John Hughes last year touched Hollywood in a way that only a very small number of talent can. In addition, Academy Of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences Tom Sherak and Oscarcast producer Bill Mechanic both worked with Hughes. As did this year's hosts Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin. So there was no way because of these personal connections they'd relegate him to just a brief clip within the usual montage of people who've passed. (Not that the other dead people didn't deserve their own tributes, too.) Instead, the Oscars are planning a separate and special tribute to the writer-director-producer, complete with film and cast members. Steve Martin, of course, did the classic Planes Trains & Automobiles with Hughes, while Baldwin made the less well received She's Having A Baby. But I'm surprised that Alec has such fond memories. Years ago I did an interview with Baldwin, and he railed against Hughes for cutting most of his storyline from that pic. But time heals all wounds, I guess.
I thought this was confirmed months ago. But it's still pathetic. And it's what happens when you get the director of The Pacifier to be the creative force behind the show. Oh well, it's been years since I've seen Judd Nelson flare his nostrils.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

It's been confirmed: John Hughes will get a seperate tribute.
The death of John Hughes last year touched Hollywood in a way that only a very small number of talent can. In addition, Academy Of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences Tom Sherak and Oscarcast producer Bill Mechanic both worked with Hughes. As did this year's hosts Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin. So there was no way because of these personal connections they'd relegate him to just a brief clip within the usual montage of people who've passed. (Not that the other dead people didn't deserve their own tributes, too.) Instead, the Oscars are planning a separate and special tribute to the writer-director-producer, complete with film and cast members. Steve Martin, of course, did the classic Planes Trains & Automobiles with Hughes, while Baldwin made the less well received She's Having A Baby. But I'm surprised that Alec has such fond memories. Years ago I did an interview with Baldwin, and he railed against Hughes for cutting most of his storyline from that pic. But time heals all wounds, I guess.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I yelled at Adam Shankman via Twitter.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

*sigh* I'll be in my trailer...
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."

Return to “82nd Nominations and Winners”