82nd Oscars - Best Supporting Actress

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Channel surfing while having a late breakfast, I happened to catch a discussion on The View between Barbara Walters talking about Mo'Nique's hairy legs and the fact that she told her she shaved them once when she was a teenager and it hurt. Guest host Vanessa Williams suggested she try again.
mashari
Temp

Post by mashari »

Mo checked meddling journalists, Tom included, backstage yet again when she proclaimed she was proud to be a part of an Academy who said it didn't matter how many dinners she attended or pictures she took--her work was on the screen.

She also said she wore Royal Blue and a Gardenia in her hair because that's what Haittie McDaniel wore 70 years ago when she won her Oscar.

Glad to see Lauren was finally given some recognition.

Edited By mashari on 1268067286
"The only thing I regret about my past is the length of it. If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes... only sooner."--Tallulah Bankhead
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

bettestreep2008 wrote:I'm trying to figure out why the audience gave her a standing ovation???

a standing ovation for lauren bacall I understand - but monique???
However she did it, Mo'Nique managed to shore up tremendous industry admiration and goodwill in a short amount of time. It belies Tom O'Neil's yammering about her squandering her Oscar by not showing up to receive her award at the New York Film Critic's Circle.

Plus, Mo'Nique's a better actress than Lauren Bacall, and I'm only going by the clips.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

bettestreep2008 wrote:a standing ovation for lauren bacall I understand - but monique???
It helps if you are a minority AND the win is in an acting category.
bettestreep2008
Graduate

Post by bettestreep2008 »

I'm trying to figure out why the audience gave her a standing ovation???

a standing ovation for lauren bacall I understand - but monique???
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Did anyone notice if she shaved her legs?
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
mashari
Temp

Post by mashari »

She looked pissed when she hit the stage, but glad she won regardless. If you can recall, Clooney also gave a shout-out to Hattie M when he won.
"The only thing I regret about my past is the length of it. If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes... only sooner."--Tallulah Bankhead
Snick's Guy
Temp

Post by Snick's Guy »

the girl has an ego almost as big as james cameron
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

You know. I liked Mo'Nique's early speeches, they were each different. So was this, but it felt too mechanical....too prepared.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
inky
Temp

Post by inky »

Well, winners of both supporting categories are first-time nominees. Will the Best Actress category make it three?

Edited By inky on 1268017337
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Mo'Nique - Precious
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “82nd Nominations and Winners”