Gaboury Sidibie
10%
Meryl Streep
23%

Total votes: 30

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza wrote:Mirren can be brilliant and devastating when subdued.........as in Gosford Park.
Or Prime Suspect, of course.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Mirren can be brilliant and devastating when subdued.........as in Gosford Park.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

She wasn't all that subdued. Queen Charlotte was a very strong woman.

I may not remember much of it but I do remember one scene in which Mirren rushes to Hawthorne's side screaming after he's fallen off a horse or something.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Damien wrote:
Reza wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:We've seen Mirren in flamboyant roles before, most notably in The Madness of King George, for which she won her first nomination, and TV's Elizabeth I, but here's she constantly surprising, over-the-top one minute, quiet and subdued the next. It's another gem from one of the best actresses currently working.
I recall her being rather subdued in Madness of King George. Hawthorne had the flamboyant role.
She was so subdued I didn't even remember she was in Madness. And she was nominated? Oh, shit, early Alzheimers.
Actually I was thrilled Mirren was finally nominated for her first Oscar. And once I'd seen the film I wondered what was so great about her performance for her to have been nominated for this.

Yes she was VERY subdued.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:We've seen Mirren in flamboyant roles before, most notably in The Madness of King George, for which she won her first nomination, and TV's Elizabeth I, but here's she constantly surprising, over-the-top one minute, quiet and subdued the next. It's another gem from one of the best actresses currently working.
I recall her being rather subdued in Madness of King George. Hawthorne had the flamboyant role.
I thought they were both flamboyant but it's been a long time since I saw it.

Maybe it was that Hawthorne was flamboyant enough for both of them. :)
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Reza wrote:
She was so subdued I didn't even remember she was in Madness. And she was nominated? Oh, shit, early Alzheimers.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I voted for Mirren even though she has no chance of winning.

We've seen Mirren in flamboyant roles before, most notably in The Madness of King George, for which she won her first nomination, and TV's Elizabeth I, but here's she constantly surprising, over-the-top one minute, quiet and subdued the next. It's another gem from one of the best actresses currently working.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

I went with Carey Mulligan too. Have yet to watch Mirren.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I'm going with CAREY Mulligan because she outclasses her film. This is ever so slightly over Gabourey Sidibe who is not really given a chance to shine in Precious due to messy direction. I have no doubt that Sidibe could have been outstanding in Precious.
"How's the despair?"
Snick's Guy
Temp

Post by Snick's Guy »

If you had an oscar ballot, who would be your best actress vote?

Return to “82nd Nominations and Winners”