82nd Academy Awards Nominations

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

You maybe, but there are plenty more, even on this board, that are happy for both Up and District 9.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Big Magilla wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:Big Magilla, The Blind Side ONJECTIVELY - and trust me, I know a things or two about art, I've read a few books, I mean, you know my story, come on - isn't one of the ten best movies of the year. Again: objectively. The fact that you liked it doesnt make it good, do you realize this? It's simple!

But now, of course, the prospect of Sandra Bullock winning Best Actress and making rich white Americans happy is unfortunately getting closer and closer. So in the end Big Magilla will win, Italiano will lose.
Win what, bragging rights that I got this one right and you didn't? I assure you I get no monetary gain from this.
But you should. And I'd be a millionaire if I had bet money for all my correct predictions :(

Honestly, I couldnt believe in an Oscar for Sandra Bullock till today. So, congratulations.

But you can't compare The Blind Side with the Deanna Durbin musical. That one wasn't offensive or racist at least.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

But also Up, District 9... this isn't the kind of movies we want to see as the best of year.

And no Julianne Moore or the music for A Single Man.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

ITALIANO wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:Unless I'm forgetting someone, Maggie and Jake Gyllenhaal are only the fourth pair of siblings to be nominated for acting Oscars, behind Lionel and Ethel Barrymore, Shirley MacLaine and Warren Beatty and Jane and Peter Fonda. Norma Shearer and her brother Douglas have multiple Oscar nominations but only Norman's were for acting. Douglas was a sound engineer.
There are Jennifer and Meg Tilly, Julia and Eric Roberts, the Redgraves, probably many others.

The Redgrave family has three nominees by the way.
I knew I should have done a little checking before I posted that. And thank you, Uri, for reminding us of the Coppolas as well.

The Redgraves were in fact the first family to have three acting nominees. The Fondas, of course, were the second.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

dreaMaker wrote:I m glad Hans Zimmer finally got nominated after many years of nothing.
Hans Zimmer is an Oscar winner for 1994's "The Lion King." He also got a nod in 2000 for "Gladiator."
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

How could they NOT nominate Julianne Moore?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

ITALIANO wrote:Big Magilla, The Blind Side ONJECTIVELY - and trust me, I know a things or two about art, I've read a few books, I mean, you know my story, come on - isn't one of the ten best movies of the year. Again: objectively. The fact that you liked it doesnt make it good, do you realize this? It's simple!

But now, of course, the prospect of Sandra Bullock winning Best Actress and making rich white Americans happy is unfortunately getting closer and closer. So in the end Big Magilla will win, Italiano will lose.
Win what, bragging rights that I got this one right and you didn't? I assure you I get no monetary gain from this.

No, The Blind Side is not one of the year's ten best films, but did you seriously expect ten masterpieces to be nominated? As I said, given a choice between, The Blind Side, Nine, The Hangover and even Invictus for the tenth slot, it's not all that objectionable - absurd I'll grant you, but not the worst film ever to be nominated for an Oscar.

It's kind of like the Deanna Durbin musical, 100 Men and a Girl being one of the ten nominees in 1937.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Ah, and the 5 Copolas were nominated, 4 won.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Huh.

Well, I was a LITTLE wrong. Not always a bad thing.

I'm going out on a limb: for a group that includes The Blind Side, these aren't that bad. There are a few things that make no sense to me (Precious better edited than Up in the Air?), but it could be worse. Lots of give and take.

Still not going to see The Blind Side, but A Serious Man is nominated for Best Picture. That's outstanding.

Invictus isn't there, but Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon are nominated for Best Performances Predestined for Nominations.

No Peter Capaldi, Anthony Mackie, or Christian McKay awesomeness.

No Diane Kruger, Melanie Laurent, Julianne Moore, or Samantha Morton goodness.

Most beautiful nominee of the year is Maggie Gyllenhaal. Kind of amazed I haven't seen her movie.

Runner up is Penelope Cruz. I really might see Nine after all.

The Messenger isn't a better script than (500) Days of Summer but In the Loop is a much better one than Star Trek.

Best Original Score is actually pretty good set of nominees in spite of the fact that I didn't remember that The Hurt Locker had a score.

No problem with Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince being nominated over Nine for Best Cinematography. No idea how anyone could think the Editing choices in Precious are better than in Up in the Air.

Pretty happy for Bright Star's beautiful costumes. Don't think there is an Oscar movie I'm less interested in seeing than Coco Before Chanel.

Big surprise: no Sound Mixing or Sound Effects nominations for District 9. Or Art Direction. Or Direction. Kinda...really...over-estimated that one.

Uh...these aren't great but they could be worse. Like, legitimately worse. The problem is that the unexceptional aren't counter-balanced by the exceptional. A lot of these movies aren't going to be remembered. But unlike The Reader's nom, they aren't going to live in infamy. Maybe The Blind Side will.
"How's the despair?"
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Big Magilla wrote:Unless I'm forgetting someone, Maggie and Jake Gyllenhaal are only the fourth pair of siblings to be nominated for acting Oscars, behind Lionel and Ethel Barrymore, Shirley MacLaine and Warren Beatty and Jane and Peter Fonda. Norma Shearer and her brother Douglas have multiple Oscar nominations but only Norman's were for acting. Douglas was a sound engineer.

There are Jennifer and Meg Tilly, Julia and Eric Roberts, the Redgraves, probably many others.

The Redgrave family has three nominees by the way.

Edited By ITALIANO on 1265120474
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Maggie and Jake's mother, Naomi Foner, was nominated for a n Oscar for the screenplay to Running on Empty. Again, unless I'm forgetting someone, they only the second family with three OScar nominees after the Hustons: Walter, John and Anjelica.
I don't blame you for forgetting it, by so did the Roberts (Eric and Julia).
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Morgan Freeman, I can understand. But Matt Damon...
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Oh, and sorry BJ - no Mr. Fox in art direction. But Parnassus is a more than worthy candidate in its stead.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Unless I'm forgetting someone, Maggie and Jake Gyllenhaal are only the fourth pair of siblings to be nominated for acting Oscars, behind Lionel and Ethel Barrymore, Shirley MacLaine and Warren Beatty and Jane and Peter Fonda. Norma Shearer and her brother Douglas have multiple Oscar nominations but only Norman's were for acting. Douglas was a sound engineer.

Maggie and Jake's mother, Naomi Foner, was nominated for a n Oscar for the screenplay to Running on Empty. Again, unless I'm forgetting someone, they only the second family with three OScar nominees after the Hustons: Walter, John and Anjelica.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Uri wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote:Later on, I'm going to do something very bold. I'm going to defend Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon. Not their nominations necessarily, I don't think they deserved their noms. But neither do their performances deserve the all the derision they're getting.
It's nice to have someone doing all the hard work for me. I'm having the same sentiment too. And it's a pity the film itself was left out, especially since this seems to be such a lousy year.

And I'm happily eating my humble pie – Go Ajami!
Um... except I didn't like the film, sorry.

And congratulations.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Return to “82nd Nominations and Winners”