The Wizard of Oz remake

MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Why haven't they adapted Wicked yet? I mean there are a lot of strong musicals on Broadway that could be adapted to huge success...Wicked, Spring Awakening, American Idiot and then there are shitty musicals that need to be redone: A Little Night Music for example. Then there are the Sondheim properties rife for big screen adaptation. Something like Into the Woods could be huge on the big screen.

I think the Wizard of Oz remake will go the same was as the purported Casablanca remake. Dodo City.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Big Magilla wrote:The Great Gatsby has never been properly made, so there is the chance that the new film will be worth doing
With Baz Luhrman directing? I think it'll instantly lift the Clayton version several notches in retrospect.

Agreed in general, that an Oz remake is a grisly idea, one you hope slips someone's mind before it turns into an actual movie.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

I was very excited about Sunset Blvd with Glenn Close..............and then silence !!!
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I'm not so sure. The Great Gatsby has never been properly made, so there is the chance that the new film will be worth doing, but Zemeckis remaking The Wizard of OZ brings up torturous memories of Gus Van Sant remaking Psycho. Perfection can't be improved upon.

My sense is, however, that it won't actually be made. How many times in the last ten years has Hollywood planned to remake a classic musical, only to abandon its plans?

Remember the proposed remakes of Damn Yankees, Carousel with Hugh Jackman and My Fair Lady with Carey Mulligan? That one's still considered to be "in production" so it might actually get made after all.

Here's an idea. If Hollywood is so bereft of original ideas that have they have to rely on tried and true successes from the past, then how about making films of books or musicals that have never been done before?

What happened to the oft revived plans to make Follies or Sunset Boulevard? And why have there been no attempts at making Applause, Darling of the Day, Zorba, High Spirits or other musicals based on old films with proven cinematic strengths?
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Couldn't be worse than the upcoming remake of The Great Gatsby with Carey Mulligan and Leonardo DiCaprio.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Return to “Coming Soon”