2011: Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides - Also Pixar's John Carter of Mars

MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

OscarGuy wrote:While they could get a top-notch actor in there, Andrew Stanton isn't exactly a live-action director. We have no idea what we can expect out of him.

Parts of WALL-E were live-action, so crossing over to live-action has been hinted at by Pixar (and that film was also directed by Stanton). And he wouldn't be the first animation director to switch over to live-action. Andrew Adamson directed both Chronicles of Narnia films, and they were both miles better than the work he did on the Shrek films.

And don't forget that in addition to his work as an animation director, he's also a three-time Oscar nominated screenwriter.

Edited By MovieWes on 1253070652
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I have never underestimated Pixar because I've known that its animated films are top notch. However, a live-action film is a completely different environment. They are forced to work with ACTUAL actors. Voice acting, while a difficult medium is certainly not the same as physical acting. With animation, you get to fully re-create facial expressions, eye movement, etc. You can't do that with real-life actors as easily. While they could get a top-notch actor in there, Andrew Stanton isn't exactly a live-action director. We have no idea what we can expect out of him.

So, I'm going to be very cautious about this project. It's been festering for nearly a decade now, switching hands several times, and while I think Stanton's three Pixar films are all top-notch, he's just too unknown a quantity for me for live-action. It could be great and that would be wonderful, but I'm not going to be surprised if it isn't.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

OscarGuy wrote:While I love Pixar's animated films, I don't know if it's really appropriate for them to go live-action and I don't know if they'll be able to bring the same kind of power and wonder to a PG-13 film as they do with their regular batch of films. I hope they can succeed, but I'm not going to hold my breath on that one.
One thing I've learned over the years is to never underestimate Pixar.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

While I love Pixar's animated films, I don't know if it's really appropriate for them to go live-action and I don't know if they'll be able to bring the same kind of power and wonder to a PG-13 film as they do with their regular batch of films. I hope they can succeed, but I'm not going to hold my breath on that one.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Since the article also covers John Carter of Mars, I was just reading an interview with director Andrew Stanton, who revealed that not only will it be Pixar's first live-action film, it will also be their first PG-13 film as well.

http://scifiwire.com/2009....ars.php
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

MovieWes wrote:Both have said on numerous occasions that they have no interest in doing another movie.
This will be the best one yet.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Both have said on numerous occasions that they have no interest in doing another movie.
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

Any word yet if Keira Knghtley or Orlando Bloom will return?
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Rob Marshall to Direct Pirates of the Caribbean 4

Posted by Neil Miller (neil@filmschoolrejects.com) on July 31, 2009

About a week ago, word came down the pipe that Disney is looking to kick-start production on Pirates of the Caribbean 4, even though director Gore Verbinski has bailed on the project.

Now according to the folks at Variety, Disney has found a new director in Rob Marshall, whose previous work includes Chicago, Memoirs of a Geisha and the upcoming Nine.

A choreographer turned director, Marshall has long focused his career on that which includes music. This would be his first turn as director of a big-budget adventure movie. It’s a very risky move for producer Jerry Bruckheimer and the folks at Disney, as Marshall is a coin-toss choice for this project — audiences will be expecting something on par with the first three movies, something on an epic scale.

Of course, I would remind instant detractors that Gore Verbinski hadn’t directed much of anything beyond The Ring prior to starting the Pirates franchise. And that didn’t turn out too poorly (as long as you don’t count over a billion dollars in domestic box office receipts as a poor showing).
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides & John Carter of Mars Dates!

Two surprise announcements followed an equally surprising live musical performance by Miley Cyrus at Disney's D23 Expo.

Disney Studios Chairman Dick Cook officially named Summer 2012 as the release date for Pixar's John Carter of Mars, claiming that the film will, indeed, be live-action with intense special effects.

Following the announcement, Johnny Depp appeared in full Jack Sparrow costume, taking the stage and announcing a Summer 2011 release date for Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, the new title for the fourth installment!

Return to “Coming Soon”