2010?: Spring Awakening

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Blame it on the reporter and the copywriter. OG was quoting a press release. Since the dictionary meaning of the word "controversy" is:

1. a prolonged public dispute, debate, or contention; disputation concerning a matter of opinion.
2. contention, strife, or argument.

I think we can all agree there is nothing controversial about the show although the subject matter may still be considered controversial in certain quarters.

With McG at the helm the film is apt to be one long, agonizing MTV style bore.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

FilmFan720 wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:direct and produce the controversial rock opera

Can we stop using the word controversial on everything that is in the least bit edgy? Where was any of the controversy around this show? I follow the theatre scene pretty closely and I never heard any grumblings about this! Just because something has teenagers having sex doesn't mean it is controversial.
Nothing has been controversial in years. There has been more controversy in bad casting and announcing remakes than something truly outrageous.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I've not seen a production of this, but I have listened to the cast recording. I'm somewhere between Damien (the only one here who mentioned seeing the Broadway production, who from what I remember didn't hate it but didn't much care for it) and those big fans, admiring it more than a lot of Tony winners for Best Musical, but not loving it or hating it.

I'm not sure how it would transfer to the screen, and I don't really think someone as personality-free as McG, whose background is mostly in boring action movies, will do anything interesting with it.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

OscarGuy wrote:direct and produce the controversial rock opera
Can we stop using the word controversial on everything that is in the least bit edgy? Where was any of the controversy around this show? I follow the theatre scene pretty closely and I never heard any grumblings about this! Just because something has teenagers having sex doesn't mean it is controversial.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

McG Gets Spring Awakening

15 April 2009 9:15 AM, PDT

Director McG is breaking away from the action genre to bring hit Broadway musical Spring Awakening to the big screen.

The filmmaker behind Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle and the forthcoming Terminator: Salvation is in talks to direct and produce the controversial rock opera, about a group of schoolboys in 19th century Germany who are discovering their sexuality.

The Tony Award-winning production is based on Frank Wedekind's 1891 play and covers topics including masturbation, rape, abortion and suicide.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Coming Soon”