Miss Saigon

flipp525
Laureate

Re: Miss Saigon

Post by flipp525 »

anonymous1980 wrote:The latest rumor on my end is that Charice Pempengco is being considered for Kim. I don't know if she has the acting chops yet.
She's not attractive enough! But, yes, she definitely has the vocal chops to play Kim, anon.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Re: Miss Saigon

Post by anonymous1980 »

The latest rumor on my end is that Charice Pempengco is being considered for Kim. I don't know if she has the acting chops yet.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Well, I'm kinda excited about this one coming together, though I haven't seen Precious, so I can't say much as to whether this guy is a good choice to direct. I want to reserve judgment until I see a cast list.

At least it wasn't a known destroyer-of-musicals like Joel Schumacher or Tim Burton.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

The Original BJ wrote:
dws1982 wrote:
Picking Daniels is a great choice! His film "Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire" is a fantastic film, and sure to win some Oscar nods including Mo'Nique, yes, Mo'Nique, for Best Supporting Actress!
Yes, he made a "fantastic" independent drama, so therefore, he's a great choice to do a big budget musical. Makes perfect sense.
He also produced Monster's Ball, which makes him a "fantastic" choice for a nuanced portrait of interracial romance. ???
He's also gay. Gays and musical stereotypically go together.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

dws1982 wrote:
Picking Daniels is a great choice! His film "Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire" is a fantastic film, and sure to win some Oscar nods including Mo'Nique, yes, Mo'Nique, for Best Supporting Actress!
Yes, he made a "fantastic" independent drama, so therefore, he's a great choice to do a big budget musical. Makes perfect sense.
He also produced Monster's Ball, which makes him a "fantastic" choice for a nuanced portrait of interracial romance. ???
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

From IMDB:

Get Ready for "Miss Saigon" the Movie! It's About Darn Time!

9 hours ago | Manny the Movie Guy | See recent Manny the Movie Guy news »

The Broadway hit "Miss Saigon" is getting ready for its big screen makeover! Former United Artists CEO, Paula Wagner, is spearheading the project. She has handpicked Lee Daniels to direct.

Wagner is producing the musical through her Chestnut Ridge Productions.

Cameron Mackintosh, the producer of the original Broadway musical, is producing the film with Wagner.

Variety is saying that depending on the script and financial discussions, the film will go into production next year for 2011 release.

Claude-Michel Schonberg and Alain Boublil wrote the tragic tale of a Vietnamese bar girl who falls in love with an American soldier before the fall of Saigon in 1975.

I love "Miss Saigon!" I saw it, probably 5 times, and I memorized all the songs! »

- Manny
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Miss Saigon is going to happen. Lee Daniels (Precious) is slated to direct.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I disagree. I know nothing about the show Nine, but from the ever-growing and impressive cast list to the 8 1/2 reference, I think it's exceptionally Oscar-baity.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

FilmFan720 wrote:One of the last moments that the Tonys made a nice choice...Will Rogers Follies is a nice little gem of a show, while the overblown Miss Saigon has little of merit to it.

I don't think Nine is Oscarbaity. Anything that nonlinear can't become a favorite for Best Picture!
Once on this Island kicks both their asses.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

FilmFan720 wrote:One of the last moments that the Tonys made a nice choice...Will Rogers Follies is a nice little gem of a show, while the overblown Miss Saigon has little of merit to it.
Miss Saigon may be "overblown" and big Broadway, but it has an incredible book and featured one of the best female musical performances of the 90's. It definitely deserved to win.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

One of the last moments that the Tonys made a nice choice...Will Rogers Follies is a nice little gem of a show, while the overblown Miss Saigon has little of merit to it.

I don't think Nine is Oscarbaity. Anything that nonlinear can't become a favorite for Best Picture!

Edited By FilmFan720 on 1216864630
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Sabin wrote:seems like we need another ginormous Oscar-baiting musical that we probably didn't really want to begin with.
Nine is coming our way...

The Will Roger Follies? Guess it hasn't lived up to time as good as Miss Saigon did.. is that the same musical out of which an odd (though cool) performance at the grammy with a big chorus line and a guy with a hat (all of them dressed with the american flag, like the ultimate tribute to the american feeling/patriotism) was taken from? they were sitting side by side each other and were mostly clapping and doing stuff with their hands...
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

This play's loud.

I'm actually rather astonished it hasn't been turned into a movie. From my limited experiences, I don't much like Andrew Lloyd Weber, but it seems ripe for overblown movie musical stardom. We've had a slew of tame mini-musicals like 'Hairspray' and 'Mamma Mia!' and I know that 'Dreamgirls' was only a couple years ago but it seems like we need another ginormous Oscar-baiting musical that we probably didn't really want to begin with.

On the wikipedia page it states that 'Miss Saigon' was widely expected to win the Tony but lost to 'The Will Rogers Follies'.
"How's the despair?"
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

I finally became involved with this musical. "Please" is one of the best songs ever. And yes, Lea was so right for this part. It might be very over the top, way too overdramatic, specially the second half, but the music is quite likeable. The ballads are too much pop for my taste in musicals, but in the end is a nice soundtrack. "I still believe" and "Room 317" are among my favorites...

A cast? Kim seriously would need a casting process to find the right one for the role (as it happened with Lea back then at the time of the show), most likely an unknown actress... choices?
- Vanessa Hudgens? If the thing would be scheduled to start filming this year, this would be a serious threat. Right age and looks, but talented enough?
- Zhang Ziyi? Most likely a better actress... too old?
- Shannyn Sossamon?

By the way, back in 1991 wasn't this the favorite to win the Tony for Best musical? What happened?
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)

Return to “Dream Projects”