Best Supporting Actress 2013

Who among the nominees is your choice for Best Supporting Actress of 2013?

Sally Hawkins - Blue Jasmine
18%
Jennifer Lawrence - American Hustle
3%
Lupita Nyong'o - 12 Years a Slave
38%
Julia Roberts - August: Osage County
3%
June Squibb - Nebraska
38%

Total votes: 34

nightwingnova
Assistant

Re: Best Supporting Actress 2013

Post by nightwingnova »

Very surprising that Jennifer Lawrence got no votes here despite the critics' love. I thought she was good but didn't get the amount of love she got.

On the other hand, I thought that Sally Hawkins was a great counterpoint to Cate Blanchett. Hawkins was in tune with her character and played it with just the right amount of deference to Blanchett. Hawkins was appropriately sensitive, lacking in self-esteem and a good soul - a well-rounded supporting character for Blanchett to play off of.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

flipp525 wrote:
ksrymy wrote:[Nyong'o's] role amounts to crying and screaming which is not acting.
This assertion has been proven wrong multiple times in various threads so no reason to go into it yet again.
Proven wrong to you maybe, certainly not to me :)
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

ksrymy wrote:[Nyong'o's] role amounts to crying and screaming which is not acting.
This assertion has been proven wrong multiple times in various threads so no reason to go into it yet again.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

Lupita Nyong'o's win is one of my most despised. The role amounts to crying and screaming which is not acting. I don't understand how anyone thinks she will have a big, successful career. I smell going the way of F. Murray Abraham minus the late career successes like Grand Budapest Hotel and Inside Llewyn Davis.

Julia Roberts is dreaful in the godawful A:OC. She tries to steal the film from the hammy Streep, and, in doing this, she creates an unbelievable, irritating character. "Eat the fish, bitch," is one of the worst film lines I've ever heard. I can only hope, for Tracy Letts's sake, that it worked better on stage.

Jennifer Lawrence had great fun with her role as we can see. She got all the fun lines ("science oven" comes to mind) and is wickedly funny. The role, if played by another actress, would not work as well, I don't think. There's a certain charm Lawrence puts into her character that makes the role work - the scene where she discusses her topcoat with the mayor's wife comes to mind.

Sally Hawkins knew her limits. She never tried to show up Cate Blanchett, so, in a sense, I guess she was the best supporting actress of the year. Ginger is one of Woody Allen's best-written characters, but she will go unnoticed, most likely, because Jasmine gets all the good lines. There's a certain level of trashiness one has to accept to play Ginger which I think Hawkins captures perfectly. Her scenes with Bobby Cannavale are great.

I'm not usually on the old lady vote, but June Squibb gave my favorite performance of the year. Nebraska was my favorite film of the year, and Squibb is a major reason why. She's wickedly funny and reminiscent of that one relative we all have making her incredibly relatable and even funnier than the performance itself. Her cemetery scene will obviously go down as one of the funniest scenes in recent times. I don't even think it's the flashing that makes it funny - it's her bluntness ("She was only 19 when she was killed in a car wreck... What a whore. No, I liked Rose, but, my God, she was a slut."). And she's just as good, if not better, in her early scenes where she tries to stop Woody from leaving. Squibb easily gets my vote.

Also good this year were Octavia Spencer as the mother of a wrongful killing in Fruitvale Station, Léa Seydoux as the lesbian Henry Higgins to Adèle Exarchopoulos' Eliza Doolittle in Blue Is the Warmest Colour, Margaret Robbie as Leo DiCaprio's hot, young, scorned wife in The Wolf of Wall Street, Lili Taylor as a protective mother possessed in The Conjuring, Scarlett Johansson's voice work in Her, and Carey Mulligan as an acerbic Greenwich Village folk musician's wife in Inside Llewyn Davis.

Best Supporting Actress
01. June Squibb, Nebraska
02. Sally Hawkins, Blue Jasmine
03. Octavia Spencer, Fruitvale Station
04. Jennifer Lawrence, American Hustle
05. Léa Seydoux, Blue Is the Warmest Colour

06. Margot Robbie, The Wolf of Wall Street
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I haven't seen August, Osage County. Jennifer Lawrence is one of the biggest problems with American Hustle. She's not bad by any stretch, but her story is a needless distraction. Truth by told, I have a difficult time choosing between Hawkins, Nyong'o, and Squibb. Hawkins and Squibb b/c they elevate their roles, Nyong'o b/c she lives up to the challenges of hers. I vote Nyong'o.
"How's the despair?"
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

mojoe92 wrote:This is a no-brainer- Lupita Nyong'o

Lupita Nyong'o- I have never truly had a theater experience where I am watching someone on the screen and all I want to do is make it all better for them, no matter what situation they are in, good or bad, and that's what Nyong'o did for me. She was able to display such emotions of abandonment, hurt, pain, desperation, and the few moments of clarity and hope when she was around Mistress Shaw. I wanted to give her a hug and tell her it's going to be okay, that I was going to take her away from there. Lupita was able to evoke so much personal feeling into my soul that there is no way I wouldn't vote for her.

Very impressive. You convinced me...

... to vote for June Squibb.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Voted for Squibb

And hopefully we will watch how Nyongo' will fade into obscurity after her oscar win
mojoe92
Graduate

Post by mojoe92 »

This is a no-brainer- Lupita Nyong'o

Lupita Nyong'o- I have never truly had a theater experience where I am watching someone on the screen and all I want to do is make it all better for them, no matter what situation they are in, good or bad, and that's what Nyong'o did for me. She was able to display such emotions of abandonment, hurt, pain, desperation, and the few moments of clarity and hope when she was around Mistress Shaw. I wanted to give her a hug and tell her it's going to be okay, that I was going to take her away from there. Lupita was able to evoke so much personal feeling into my soul that there is no way I wouldn't vote for her.

Sally Hawkins- I still have yet to figure out what she did to garner a nomination, I found her whiny, annoying, and her voice is Carol Channing nails on a chalkboard. This is the second time I have felt this way about her since Happy-Go Lucky, which is why I usually avoid movies with Hawkins, but I am willing to give her another shot this year with her Oscar follow-ups. Prove to me Sally why you took Oprah's spot and why you were worthy of a nomination to begin with.

Julia Roberts- ~Sigh~ Like my comment of Meryl Streep in the Actress section the biggest draw back of the performances in AOC ( with the exception of Shepard and Lewis) is that everyone tried to out Streep the Streep. Roberts is no exception to that. Dreadful? No. Amazing? No. In between? Sure. I am still waiting for the day where Roberts can prove to me that she deserved Ellen Burstyn's Oscar in 2000. Cough Cough

June Squibb- I'm sure by now you all know my disdain for the dreadful American Hustle, and the equally dreadful Nebraska. Two of the worst films, not to mention overrated films of the year ( and with AH the decade). Squibb seems like she is a blast in a glass in real life but I couldn't help myself but to feel like her performance was so mechanical that I rolled my eyes and every frame she was in. It felt like she was saying her line phonetically, trying to read them off a cue-card, and since when do we reward the sassy old lady that has been done before, if this is the case someone needs to ship over an Oscar ASAP to Ellen Albertini Dow for Wedding Crashers.

Jennifer Lawrence- Awful. Overacting. Something you'd see in a SyFy original movie or an Asylum production

My choices
Lili Taylor- The Conjuring
Jane Fonda- The Butler
Lupita Nyong'o- 12 Years a Slave - WINNER
Marianne Jean-Baptiste- Violet & Daisy
Juliette Lewis- August: Osage County
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Best Supporting Actress 2013

Post by Big Magilla »

We come to our final acting category of 2013.

There really isn't too much to say about this one. I'd like to have seen Octavia Spencer in Frutivale Station or Lea Seydoux in Blue Is the Warmest Color over Julia Roberts, but I can't say that any of the nominees, including Roberts, was undeserving.

Category fraud, perhaps, but Roberts gave her strongest performance since Erin Brockovich in August. She would have been a respectable choice if the film had been better and there weren't other more viable candidates, but there were.

Relatively unknown character actress June Squibb had the role of a lifetime at 84. She was memorable if more than a bit over-the-top as Bruce Dern's wife in Nebraska. A borderline nominee for me, I never saw her as more than an also-ran.

Sally Hawkins has been on the verge of an Oscar nomination for a while now. She was the best thing about Blue Jamine, heartbreakingly real as Cate Blanchett's doormat sister in a way that Blanchett's entitled character never quite seemed to be. It, too, was an also-ran performance for me, but a good one.

Golden girl Jennifer Lawrence was never going to win back-to-back Oscars at 23, but she would have been a more viable candidate had she not won in the lead category so recently. She was the best thing about the astonishingly over-praised American Hustle.

Lupita Nyong'o's heartbreaking portrayal of Patsey, the trapped slave in 12 Years a Slave, was the obvious choice to take this one and handily gets my endorsement. Now if only they will give her something else to play to show the versatility that will mean a long career.

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”