Best Supporting Actress 2013

Who among the nominees is your choice for Best Supporting Actress of 2013?

Sally Hawkins - Blue Jasmine
18%
Jennifer Lawrence - American Hustle
3%
Lupita Nyong'o - 12 Years a Slave
38%
Julia Roberts - August: Osage County
3%
June Squibb - Nebraska
38%

Total votes: 34

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Best Supporting Actress 2013

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy wrote:I would think that a discussion in a poll about the Best Supporting Actress nominees of 2013, one would want to limit to those that were eligible.
It looks to me like the discussion is about the actual nominees but people's stated preferences are based on their own frame of reference.

Determining what films are eligible for a given Oscar year is a daunting task no one has ever mastered. It's easier now that the Academy publishes lists of eligible films but going back into Oscar history it's impossible to get an accurate picture. The Academy didn't even follow its own rules in the early days when members submitted films that they may have seen within the eligibility period but which were actually released earlier. Even when the Academy went to calendar year eligibility with the 1934 awards, they didn't go strictly by the calendar. At least from 1937 through 1941 the cut-off date for eligibility was January 12th of the following year. That's why In Old Chicago, a film not released anywhere until January, 1938 was a 1937 nominee. It's how Daryl Zanuck secured a Best Picture Oscar for How Green Was My Valley which he held back from being shown in L.A. until January 12, 1942 because he strongly believed that the only reason The Grapes of Wrath lost to Rebecca the year before was because although both films opened early in the year (Grapes in February in L.A.; Rebecca in March), Selznick re-released Rebecca at year end to keep it fresh in voter's minds while Zanuck failed to do the same for Grapes. He was determined that Valley wouldn't lose to early favorite Sergeant York and his strategy paid off.

That's why I've now gone back and reassessed my own awards based on much easier to determine New York release dates which now pretty much coincide with L.A. release dates but well into the 1970s varied quite drastically with L.A. release dates on numerous films. I use the New York Times which has complete copies of their newspapers on-line in the Times Machine for a 129 year period ending around 1982. You can check out the movie ads to find out when a film actually opened in New York. It's not always the date IMDb. lists. They generally go by the date the film was reviewed by the Times, which well into the 1970s and perhaps the 1980s was the day after their critic had seen the film with an audience in the theatre in which it was playing. Thus you have several films that IMDb. shows as opening on January 2nd of a certain year when it actually opened on December 31t of the previous year.

The Times also has reviews of most major films posted in the archives on their website. All you have to do is go to the movie section and type in the name of a film you want check out in the showtimes search box and it will bring up the original review of films not currently playing.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I would think that a discussion in a poll about the Best Supporting Actress nominees of 2013, one would want to limit to those that were eligible.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

OscarGuy wrote:Snowpiercer is a 2014 U.S. release, so it wouldn't qualify for the 2013 awards anyway.
Bizzare is probably using a similar criteria to what I use - year of release in country of origin.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Snowpiercer is a 2014 U.S. release, so it wouldn't qualify for the 2013 awards anyway.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
bizarre
Assistant

Post by bizarre »

My picks:

Kaitlyn Dever, Short Term 12
Agata Kulesza, Ida
Vivien Li, A Touch of Sin
Tilda Swinton, Snowpiercer
* Zhao Tao, A Touch of Sin
-
06. Ilinca Goia, Child’s Pose
07. Jennifer Lawrence, American Hustle
08. Mia Kasalo, The Strange Little Cat
09. Sabrina Ouazani, The Past
10. Lili Taylor, The Conjuring

I have only seen Hawkins and Lawrence. I am a big Sally Hawkins fan but I feel like she overdid the technique on a character within whose arc even the small tragedies deserve to be played with a lighter touch. It's a tic-heavy performance, too many accent gymnastics. But it definitely has its moments - mainly in those verbal sparring matches with Blanchett. Hawkins complements her co-star well - they do feel like they could be sisters - even if she doesn't necessarily command all the necessary elements of her character when she's the focus of a scene. And the film does abandon Ginger rather woefully in the last act.

Lawrence is woefully miscast - she makes the most of her dramatic scenes, and her comedic ones, but always separately - nothing coheres, and you never get a sense that this is a woman who has been raising this toddler, married to this man, staying in this house for years. There's no history behind the grandstanding. It's inconsistent, but effective in the moment.

I haven't seen enough from this year to be truly proud of my ballot, but Zhao and Li are a terrific one-two punch in A Touch of Sin and I enjoyed the tart edge Kaitlyn Dever brought to the sometimes too mawkish Short Term 12, and Tilda Swinton is a hoot in Snowpiercer, ably assisting in its odd narrative progressions. Agata Kulesza is dignified and soulful in Ida, although I wish she'd played the character in a slightly less expected way.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

The Original BJ wrote: That last shot, of Patsey watching Solomon go, knowing she will never see him again, and wishing desperately that she could be taken with him, somewhere, anywhere but here, is one of the most haunting moments in 12 Years a Slave.
I couldn't agree more with this and I am glad someone has finally mentioned it. It was the highpoint of the film and her performance. An emotional punch given in the most casual manner.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Is Léa Seydoux a supporting actress? It's a pretty sizable part, but Blue is the Warmest Color is also rather clearly focused on Adèle's story, to the extent that Seydoux is gone from decent chunks of the film. In a year without much else in the way of alternatives, I'll say she qualifies.

I do think Julia Roberts gave her best post-Erin Brockovich performance in August: Osage County -- she's given a lot of material that, at least at its core, is strong, and scenes like "Eat the fish, bitch" are bound to make an impression. But I wouldn't say she made the character special (the way I'd argue Meryl Streep did with her unique take on her own role), and I really resented the category fraud here, given that Roberts is about as A-list as they come in an obviously lead role.

I found the other four actresses clearly deserving of citation. Sally Hawkins doesn't have as dominant a role as she did in Happy-Go-Lucky, but in taking a secondary character and finding a lot of complicated angles to her, she does what the best supporting actresses do. Hawkins does a very good job of portraying someone without much life ambition, but who nonetheless has most of her responsibilities in order. By refusing to devolve into the train wreck Jasmine is, Ginger consistently forces herself to settle for a lot less than what she hoped, and Hawkins perfectly captures both the optimism and heartbreak of someone in her position. It's not enough of a tour-de-force to get my vote, but she's a strong nominee.

As much as I'm glad Jennifer Lawrence didn't win again so soon, I have to say that the likely backlash which would have resulted had she prevailed also would have been rather over-the-top, given how entertaining she is in American Hustle. Okay, so her part is pretty jerry-rigged for audience appeal, given that it seems to exist entirely to give Lawrence a chance to do outrageous things (rock out in her apartment to "Live and Let Die," smack a big old smooch on Amy Adams) or say them (the instantly quotable "Thank God for me.") But Lawrence is a hoot regardless, and even beneath her delightful star charisma she manages to give her character a moving sense of despair over her life and its constant state of chaos. She's definitely too young for the part, though -- I kept wondering what someone who reads as more worn-down, like Marisa Tomei, could have brought to it. And at this point I think it's pretty safe to assume that Lawrence will have plenty of other, maybe more serious, chances for me to root for her down the line.

Seeing a long-time working actress like June Squibb get her first sense of fame and Oscar attention in her mid-eighties was a highlight of this awards season for me, and she comes close to getting my vote. Her acerbic insults are pretty consistently hilarious, and so human -- I can't believe the number of times her casually judgmental asides made me think, "yeah, that's exactly how my grandmother would react." But her role offers her a good bit of range, too -- the scene in which she defends her husband to the rest of his family shows rather movingly the deep love she has for him despite all the stress he puts her through, and reveals that beneath all her snark, she's still a person who has developed a strong moral compass throughout her marriage. It's an obviously memorable role with which Squibb seems to be having the time of her life.

But I think Lupita Nyong'o has the most challenging role of the bunch, and she achieves the most emotionally affecting results. I have to say, I totally get someone not voting for her -- it's a strong field, and I don't think she towers over it or anything -- but I'm genuinely surprised by the negativity some have toward her work. To somehow dismiss the performance as not acting, but simply screaming and crying -- when obviously someone enduring the struggles of slavery would be doing plenty of both screaming and crying -- seems completely strange to me, especially given what I saw as heartbreaking delicacy in so much of her performance. Patsey is someone trying to live with some dignity, in a life that couldn't provide her less of that, and the moments when she's forced to drop her stoic resolve -- when she's in so much pain that screaming and crying are the only options for her -- gain so much in power because of the sensitivity the actress brings to the rest of her performance. That last shot, of Patsey watching Solomon go, knowing she will never see him again, and wishing desperately that she could be taken with him, somewhere, anywhere but here, is one of the most haunting moments in 12 Years a Slave. Who knows if she'll ever have a follow-up this good, but I think this performance deserved the Oscar she won.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

SalantBeau wrote:
ksrymy wrote:
SalantBeau wrote:Melissa Leo should have won this Oscar for Prisoners. Denis Villeneuve's underrated masterpiece features strong work from both Jake Gyllenhaal and Leo, and Leo's creation of the mysterious elderly woman who *SPOILER* turns out to be the big villain all along *SPOILER* was simply outstanding. She wears two faces throughout the film and the payoff at the end sent chills down my spine. After her horrid performance in The Fighter winded up winning the Oscar, I'm glad that this tour-de-force acting masterclass came next so I could at least pretend that she won for this.
Sorry, but you're entirely alone in this. Her performance was one of the most laughed-at things on this board last year.
Oh :oops:
I stand by it anyway.
Great, as you should anyway. Cause in the end this is how personal taste works...

Prisoners is in my pending list, a film I am very curious about. This is a nice thing to read actually so once I see it I'll chime in and comment.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
SalantBeau
Graduate

Post by SalantBeau »

ksrymy wrote:
SalantBeau wrote:Melissa Leo should have won this Oscar for Prisoners. Denis Villeneuve's underrated masterpiece features strong work from both Jake Gyllenhaal and Leo, and Leo's creation of the mysterious elderly woman who *SPOILER* turns out to be the big villain all along *SPOILER* was simply outstanding. She wears two faces throughout the film and the payoff at the end sent chills down my spine. After her horrid performance in The Fighter winded up winning the Oscar, I'm glad that this tour-de-force acting masterclass came next so I could at least pretend that she won for this.
Sorry, but you're entirely alone in this. Her performance was one of the most laughed-at things on this board last year.
Oh :oops:
I stand by it anyway.
mojoe92
Graduate

Post by mojoe92 »

jesus christ with this neck and neck with nyong'o and squibb.

I could understand the "love" of the horrendous lawrence on here as it came between her and lupita to win, but this love for squibb floors me as much as the 5 votes for hawkins... smh
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

Big Magilla wrote:Who was laughing? I heard some groaning, but no laughing.
Pretty sure Reza and I laugh at it still.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Who was laughing? I heard some groaning, but no laughing.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
SalantBeau
Graduate

Post by SalantBeau »

My top 2 of the year weren't even nominated :cry:.

The first I dismiss here is Roberts, I'm in the minority who thinks she is terrific in the film but this is so clearly a lead performance that this category fraud is disgusting.

Jennifer Lawrence is a lot of fun in American Hustle but her portrayal is really nothing special (and her in-and-out accent is just...ugh). I will say she was marvelous in the bathroom scene with Amy Adams but this performance (and character) lacked the complexity and depth that we saw in her work in Silver Linings Playbook and Winter's Bone.

Lupita Nyong'o is tragic in 12 Years a Slave and brilliantly plays the troubled and doomed Patsey and I fully support her win, but frankly I would like to see more from her before personally giving her an Oscar. Hollywood seems to love her, I hope her career soars.

Sally Hawkins' performance is, alongside Blanchett's, one of the best ever in a Woody Allen film. Her performance is so nuanced, so tonally perfect and she conveys emotion perfectly with very few close-ups, she uses her entire body marvelously. It's a grand, grand performance and I flip-flop between her and...

Squibb! June Squibb is one of if not the only good thing about the otherwise ghastly Nebraska. She is incredibly memorable and her character work is simply marvelous in her inhibition of a woman cheerfully reflecting on her life as it nears its end. Her commitment to her husband is so genuine and her love is so beautifully tender, and her big laugh at loud scenes are the best in the film. This is a truly Oscar worthy performance, and I can't help but think that if a more well-known actress had played the role it would have garnered more recognition.

But like I said, my top 2 were not nominated:

Amy Adams is a brilliant counterbalance to Phoenix in Her, she was overshadowed by the hype for Scarlett Johansson but Adams handled the emotion that Spike Jonze gave her character very delicately and created a complex human being in a complex relationship with very little screen time.

Melissa Leo should have won this Oscar for Prisoners. Denis Villeneuve's underrated masterpiece features strong work from both Jake Gyllenhaal and Leo, and Leo's creation of the mysterious elderly woman who *SPOILER* turns out to be the big villain all along *SPOILER* was simply outstanding. She wears two faces throughout the film and the payoff at the end sent chills down my spine. After her horrid performance in The Fighter winded up winning the Oscar, I'm glad that this tour-de-force acting masterclass came next so I could at least pretend that she won for this.

When Prisoners and Her become cult movies in the near future, these snubs will slowly start to sting more and more people.

Also great were Johansson in Her, Margot Robbie's incredible U.S. breakout in The Wolf of Wall Street, Sarah Paulson's evil/jealous wife of Michael Fassbender in 12 Years a Slave, Julianne Nicholson as the daughter with a big secret in August: Osage County and Carey Mulligan's tell-it-how-it-is ex-girlfriend from hell in Inside Llewyn Davis.

Of the nominees:
1. June Squibb, Nebraska
2. Sally Hawkins, Blue Jasmine
3. Lupita Nyong'o, 12 Years a Slave
4. Jennifer Lawrence, American Hustle
5. Julia Roberts, August: Osage County

Personal lineup:
1. Melissa Leo, Prisoners
2. Amy Adams, Her
3. June Squibb, Nebraska
4. Sally Hawkins, Blue Jasmine
5. Lupita Nyong'o, 12 Years a Slave
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

For me it's clearly between Sally Hawkins and June Squibb. But my vote goes to Squibb, she was delightful in the comic relief role in "Nebraska". She was given a rare opportunity this late in her career, she grabbed it and delivered. Hawkins was equally good and i hope that this nomination will bring her a wider variety of roles to choose from and not the usual spinster/horrible sister-in-law roles she's been getting since "Happy Go lucky".

Jennifer Lawrence was very good but miscast. However i was glad that she is starting to prove that she is a good actress, as i start to feel that her Oscar 2 years ago is not totally wasted. I didn't particularly care about Julia Roberts. She was good but nothing nomination worthy, especially in this category.

Nyong'o is my 5th choice here. The phrase "chewing the scenery" was invented for this performance. She was chewing it well, but chewing it nevertheless...

I would easily substitute Roberts and Nyong'o with Octavia Spencer, Lea Seydoux, Margo Martindale or even Margot Robbie.

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”