14%

Total votes: 66

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Re: Best Picture and Director 2009

Post by ITALIANO »

ksrymy wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:I thought we already decided on Best Song and Score in separate polls with screenplay to follow.
Best Song? Who cares about THAT? :)

I mean, not the most interesting category... but maybe it's just me.
Yeah, we decided on Song. It's lighter and more fun than most categories. I'd rather hear opinions on the songs than here why you guys thought Days of Heaven or Barry Lyndon was so beautiful for the millionth time.
Ah, lighter for sure - to the point of emptiness.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

ITALIANO wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:I thought we already decided on Best Song and Score in separate polls with screenplay to follow.

Yeah, we decided on Song. It's lighter and more fun than most categories. I'd rather hear opinions on the songs than here why you guys thought Days of Heaven or Barry Lyndon was so beautiful for the millionth time.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I can't find the thread right now but we did have a discussion about it. I suggested screenplay and everybody jumped down my throat. The consensus was for song and score, but I don't really care one way or the other.

Score would be difficult in the years where every studio put forth a nominee, some of which are so obscure few if any of us have seen all the nominees. Best song, however, was interesting through the mid-1970s. There were lots of great songs in competition in the 1930s and 40s.

Cinematography would be fine.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I vote cinematography...writing is so close to director/picture a lot if the times and it would give us a new crop of films to discuss
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

dws1982 wrote: Song, though. Do we really want to go through months and months of polls to end up voting on which song is the best out of "We Belong Together", "I See the Light", "If I Rise" and "Coming Home"? I mean, really? The thing that makes these polls good and interesting is the conversation they generate, and if we're being honest, the polls are by far the main conversation piece on the board from March through November. I just don't see much interesting conversation coming from a poll about "High Hopes" vs. "Strange Are the Ways of Love".
Well... You are 100% right, of course, but a (perverse) side of me is actually curious: how can people discuss about BEST SONG? I've noticed that on this board it is one of the categories which get most attention - but really, I don't think there's much to say. And one has to see the movies - because songs can only be judged in the context they are in - and some of those movies are really the most obscure ever.

Cinematography would be, of course, much more interesting.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

voted for Up in the Air and Bigelow
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Song and Score? Score is understandable, I guess, although I wonder how many people will have seen The Amazing Mrs. Holliday, Commandos Strike at Dawn, Hi Diddle Diddle, The Kansan and Victory Through Air Power (not to mention every single one of the eleven other nominees) and remember their scores well enough to make a decent and educated vote. Once we get into the years of smaller nomination pools, it'll be different, obviously, but in those early years it won't make much sense.

Song, though. Do we really want to go through months and months of polls to end up voting on which song is the best out of "We Belong Together", "I See the Light", "If I Rise" and "Coming Home"? I mean, really? The thing that makes these polls good and interesting is the conversation they generate, and if we're being honest, the polls are by far the main conversation piece on the board from March through November. I just don't see much interesting conversation coming from a poll about "High Hopes" vs. "Strange Are the Ways of Love".

My personal choice would be Cinematography, followed by the Writing Categories (which would give me a chance to to finally watch some movies I've been putting off).
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I thought we already decided on Best Song and Score in separate polls with screenplay to follow.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

anonymous1980 wrote:Time to post a new one before the Oscars.

Just a suggestion for the next series of polls: How about the Screenplay categories?

They would be interesting, but also risky... I mean, those categories are "different" because they often include movies which you won't find in other races, and those movies are often very, very good. But how many here have seen The Four Days of Naples? The Angry Silence? My Night at Maud's? There would be many absurd winners, believe me.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Best Picture and Director 2009

Post by anonymous1980 »

Time to post a new one before the Oscars.

Just a suggestion for the next series of polls: How about the Screenplay categories?
Last edited by anonymous1980 on Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”