Best Actor 2012

Who among the Oscar nominees is your coice for Best Actor of 2012?

Bradley Cooper - Silver Linings Playbook
16%
Daniel Day-Lewis - Lincoln
42%
Hugh Jackman - Les Misérables
3%
Joaquin Phoenix - The Master
39%
Denzel Washington - Flight
No votes

Total votes: 31

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: Best Actor 2012

Post by Precious Doll »

1. John Hawkes (The Sessions)
2. Jean-Louis Trintignant (Amour)
3. Ewen Leslie (Dead Europe)
4. Denis Lavant (Holy Motors)
5. Jack Reynor (What Richard Did)

Day-Lewis is the best of the bunch but not great enough for me to cast a vote in this ballot. I'll pass on Best Actor 2012.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
MovieFan
Graduate

Re: Best Actor 2012

Post by MovieFan »

Phoenix.

Im generally not a fan of his but I was blown away by his performance. It is really close between him and DDL though.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Best Actor 2012

Post by Big Magilla »

It was a strong year for lead actors, so much so that two of the year's best performances, some of us would say the best were left out in the cold.

Few could match either Jean-Louis Trntignant in Amour or John Hawkes in The Sessions in intensity, although all five nominated performances were certainly that - intense.

The two I would have left off the list were Bradley Cooper and Denzel Washington. Cooper was certainly earnest and Washington has seldom been better, but I didn't much care for Silver Linings Playbook and Flight aside from Washington's performance and the special effects was rather forgettable.

I'm glad Hugh Jackman received his first, and quite possibly only, nomination for a musical. Maybe it will lead to his being cast in a few more. Many actors have played Jean Valjean in screen versions of Les Misérables and most of them have been decent enough, but Jackman was the best since Richard Jordan in the 1978 TV mini-series.

I'm also glad that Joaquin Phoenix has lived up to his last name. After his antics of the last few years it seemed as though his career was over. Instead t seems to be flourishing once again thanks to The Master.

From among the list of nominees, though, it's difficult to argue with Daniel Day-Lewis' win for Lincoln even if it was his third Oscar. He gets my vote

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”