33%
James Franco - 127 Hours
31%

Total votes: 36

bizarre
Assistant

Re: Best Actor 2010

Post by bizarre »

Uri wrote:First, I don't allow foreign languish films blah, blah, blah.
Why on earth not?!

Personally I take no issue with Gosling's snub. I can't be the only one tired of his soulless, calculated and endlessly self-aggrandising shtick; he's terrible, and a ham, in a navel-gazing film that basically amounts to Tumblr Romance: The Movie, complete with hipsterfied lomographic photography. The more I think about that film, and his performance, the less I like them.

I haven't seen very many worthy contenders from this year. I guess I would give Leonardo DiCaprio, an actor I don't usually like, the win by default for peeling back some new layers in his star image in Shutter Island. Alfredo Castro was also very good in Pablo Larrain's Post Mortem but there were moments of non-sequitur in the script that may have worked on the page but left the actors with very little room to allow their characters breath.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Have yet to watch Bardem's performance.

My picks for 2010:

Colin Firth, The King’s Speech
Casey Affleck, The Killer Inside Me
Jeff Bridges, True Grit
George Clooney, The American
Jesse Eisenberg, The Social Network

6th: Leonardo DiCaprio, Shutter Island
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Sabin wrote:
Italiano wrote
Well, I didn't like either movie, and I have problems with both characters of course, so it's not that... But yes, in general, why should I deny it, I will always feel instinctively closer to the poor and social outcast than to the rich and successful. It may have - perhaps - something to do with the fact that I'm not American.
You're not? Holy cow, I had no idea! Why didn't you mention this before? I kept wondering for the past few years why you had these strange, clearly superior views on film...

:)

And you forgot to say that my English is perfect... :wink:
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Italiano wrote
Well, I didn't like either movie, and I have problems with both characters of course, so it's not that... But yes, in general, why should I deny it, I will always feel instinctively closer to the poor and social outcast than to the rich and successful. It may have - perhaps - something to do with the fact that I'm not American.
You're not? Holy cow, I had no idea! Why didn't you mention this before? I kept wondering for the past few years why you had these strange, clearly superior views on film...

:)
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Uri wrote:
The Original BJ wrote:Ryan Gosling is the obvious omittee -- it's truly strange that for a duet like Blue Valentine, only half the deserving pair would be cited.
As we all know, women exist, men operate. Hence actors, as a rule, don't get awards for domestic dramas. Most of the times they are honored for getting out there and DO something, and in the relatively rare cases they win for films depicting the more personal aspects of life, they tend to be manifesting an extreme, or "extreme", take on it: alcoholism, ugliness, perversion, old age. Only during a very brief period, during the late '70s and early '80, as a reaction to the rise of feminism, they were allowed, the way films were (and as we know best picture and best actor are closely related), to win for family centered stories. To this day, Hoffman's first Oscar is the only one which can qualify as a win for a leading man for a straight forward domestic drama (Fonda, another winner of this sort at that time, was old and dying). And he had the advantage of being able to be conceived by some as the "offended" side of the marital equation depicted in KvK, while Gosling couldn't. This is why the Gordon Pinsets, Paddy Considines or the Patrick Wilsons are hardly ever being nominated while their female costars are. Which makes the possibility of Clooney being a strong contender this year for The Descendants an interesting one. Then again, he plays a guy whose wife cheated on him. He got it in the bag.
Interesting thesis but I think it really goes back to Old Hollywood and the so-called "women's pictures" in whcih Bette Davis or Kay Francis or Ruth Chatterton were the stars and the reasons the films got made. Poor George Brent or Herbert Marshall or Brian Aherne were just "there" while the women suffered and suffered. In Away form Her, Julie Christie suffers from a devastating disease while Gordon Pinsent stands hopelessly by; in In America, Samantha Morton goes through that agonizing child birth while Paddy Considine feels bad; in Little children the relationship is more complex but all eyes are on Kate Winselt, not Patrick Wilson. In Blue Valentine I don't think either character comes off looking well - they both suffer - they both cause the other to suffer - it's an unfocused film, but I personally thought Gosling gave the better performance. The upshot here, though, was that it was Williams' persistence that got the film made and Gosling, who was allegedly her boyfriend at the time, was chosen for his role as opposed to making the film happen.

I'm not saying this reasoning is valid, but I think it's there. In Kramer vs. Kramer , Dustin Hoffman was playing the abandoned woman in reverse and was the focus of attention. On Golden Pond doesn't really fit the scenario. Fonda won primarily because he was old and dying in real life and had not won before, but he was also playing a cantankerous old guy. On the other side of the coin in sexist Hollywood, actors playing gruff or canterous characters often win Oscars while women never do. Think Lionel Barrymore, Charles Coburn and David Niven vs. Gladys Cooper, Agnes Moorehead and Edith Evans. Downright mean, though, usually defeats both sexes. There are exceptions, of course - Ed Begley, James Coburn, the great Mary Astor, Mo'Nique off the top of my head, few if any others.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Uri wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:Well, I didn't like either movie, and I have problems with both characters of course, so it's not that... But yes, in general, why should I deny it, I will always feel instinctively closer to the poor and social outcast than to the rich and successful. It may have - perhaps - something to do with the fact that I'm not American.
And this is why you found Will Smith performance in The Pursuit of Happyness to be far superior to that of Burt Lancaster in The Leopard…

This is a cheap shot and you know it. And Biutiful gives such a bad name to artistic, politically committed, leftist "foreign" films, I'd avoid using anything connected with it in this ongoing debate on what qualify as Art, or as any sort of proof of the superiority of the old world over the new – it may be true, but this self righteous, wallowing in pseudo masochism fest should be left out of any serious discussion.

I wasn't going to offend Americans like you, and I've said often, here and in other threads, that both movies are bad, and you know it. But quality aside - of course The Leopard is a slightly better movie than The Pursuit of Happyness, isn't it? both made by Italians by the way, so this isn't anti-American - I hope that I'm free to say that I feel closer to a character like the one played by Javier Bardem than the one played by Jesse Eisenberg. It's subjective, and these are my feelings, I'm sorry. I can definitely understand why you'd prefer Eisenberg though.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

ITALIANO wrote:Well, I didn't like either movie, and I have problems with both characters of course, so it's not that... But yes, in general, why should I deny it, I will always feel instinctively closer to the poor and social outcast than to the rich and successful. It may have - perhaps - something to do with the fact that I'm not American.
And this is why you found Will Smith performance in The Pursuit of Happyness to be far superior to that of Burt Lancaster in The Leopard…

This is a cheap shot and you know it. And Biutiful gives such a bad name to artistic, politically committed, leftist "foreign" films, I'd avoid using anything connected with it in this ongoing debate on what qualify as Art, or as any sort of proof of the superiority of the old world over the new – it may be true, but this self righteous, wallowing in pseudo masochism fest should be left out of any serious discussion.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Sabin wrote:
Italiano wrote
My problem with Jesse Eisenberg is that I couldn't relate to him in Social Network. And before someone says it, yes, I know, that's the point of the movie - I don't mean in that way. I was completely uninterested in his character, and it's not just because, thank God, I have never met anyone like him in my life - I haven't met anyone like Hannibal Lecter either, so that's not the point. I felt that the actor didn't make his character believable, human, interesting, REAL. And Mark Zuckenberg IS a human being, I guess....
...Now, I know that the haters of foreign languages will think I'm mad, but Javier Bardem is a VERY good actor, one of the best working in movies today. And he's very good even in Biutiful - if the movie was better, he'd have my personal Oscar.
If you swap Javier Bardem's name for Jesse Eisenberg's in these two paragraphs and amend the first (now with Bardem) to read that I could not relate to this walking sacrificial lamb, and if you amend the second to read that Jesse Eisenberg does have my personal Oscar, you would have my feelings exactly. Javier Bardem is one of the best actors alive but there is nothing that he can do with this character.

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Italiano wrote
My problem with Jesse Eisenberg is that I couldn't relate to him in Social Network. And before someone says it, yes, I know, that's the point of the movie - I don't mean in that way. I was completely uninterested in his character, and it's not just because, thank God, I have never met anyone like him in my life - I haven't met anyone like Hannibal Lecter either, so that's not the point. I felt that the actor didn't make his character believable, human, interesting, REAL. And Mark Zuckenberg IS a human being, I guess....
...Now, I know that the haters of foreign languages will think I'm mad, but Javier Bardem is a VERY good actor, one of the best working in movies today. And he's very good even in Biutiful - if the movie was better, he'd have my personal Oscar.
If you swap Javier Bardem's name for Jesse Eisenberg's in these two paragraphs and amend the first (now with Bardem) to read that I could not relate to this walking sacrificial lamb, and if you amend the second to read that Jesse Eisenberg does have my personal Oscar, you would have my feelings exactly. Javier Bardem is one of the best actors alive but there is nothing that he can do with this character.
Mister Tee wrote
Javier Bardem is the genuine article -- a charismatic movie-star/actor -- but Biutiful is a pointless hunk of melodrama even by Innaritu standards. Bardem is always a pleasure to watch, but I have no idea what made the Sean Penn/Julia Robetrs gang think his work was so special it had to be touted to this nomination.
Simple. Sean Penn worked with Innaritu before. And Roberts? I believe she was finishing up Eat Pray Love around the time that Biutiful was scheduled to screen at Cannes, so she felt very close to her costar. And to be fair if you lived in a bubble as insular as Roberts must, something like Biutiful might look like art.

The lineup looked very solidly like Bridges, Eisenberg, Firth, and Franco. On the outside was Robert Duvall, Ryan Gosling, and Mark Wahlberg, and each had their own handicap to overcome. Robert Duvall was in a trifle of a film that did not really allow for him to do anything emotive until the final act. He nabbed a SAG nom, and I assume he had the nomination in the bag because the film appealed to the widest range of viewership. Ryan Gosling had the showiest role, but his character was not very likable and the film certainly had limited appeal among Academy voters. The Foreign Press went for him over Javier Bardem, Jeff Bridges, and Robert Duvall though. They also went with Mark Wahlberg, who suffered from the fact that it didn't appear that he was doing much acting in The Fighter, especially compared to his showier costars. So that left a window open for an enthusiastic outsider. And I'm glad it was Bardem to be honest. I'd love to see Ryan Gosling get another nomination, but man, is Blue Valentine obnoxious. Get Low is just as obnoxious in its own way. And Mark Wahlberg really isn't given opportunity to do anything special in The Fighter.
"How's the despair?"
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

The Original BJ wrote:Ryan Gosling is the obvious omittee -- it's truly strange that for a duet like Blue Valentine, only half the deserving pair would be cited.
As we all know, women exist, men operate. Hence actors, as a rule, don't get awards for domestic dramas. Most of the times they are honored for getting out there and DO something, and in the relatively rare cases they win for films depicting the more personal aspects of life, they tend to be manifesting an extreme, or "extreme", take on it: alcoholism, ugliness, perversion, old age. Only during a very brief period, during the late '70s and early '80, as a reaction to the rise of feminism, they were allowed, the way films were (and as we know best picture and best actor are closely related), to win for family centered stories. To this day, Hoffman's first Oscar is the only one which can qualify as a win for a leading man for a straight forward domestic drama (Fonda, another winner of this sort at that time, was old and dying). And he had the advantage of being able to be conceived by some as the "offended" side of the marital equation depicted in KvK, while Gosling couldn't. This is why the Gordon Pinsets, Paddy Considines or the Patrick Wilsons are hardly ever being nominated while their female costars are. Which makes the possibility of Clooney being a strong contender this year for The Descendants an interesting one. Then again, he plays a guy whose wife cheated on him. He got it in the bag.
Jim20
Temp

Post by Jim20 »

ACTOR
Jeff Bridges, True Grit
Leonardo DiCaprio, Shutter Island
Jesse Eisenberg, The Social Network
Colin Firth, The King's Speech
**James Franco, 127 Hours**
Dien
Graduate

Post by Dien »

ITALIANO wrote:I felt that the actor didn't make his character believable, human, interesting, REAL. And Mark Zuckenberg IS a human being, I guess.
Kind of reflective of this generation's Facebook personas, in a way.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Mmm... a tie between Colin Firth and James Franco (not James Franco at his best - James Franco in 127 Hours)?! Some on this board should drink less whisky honestly.

Franco is actually the worst of these five. Bad, uninteresting movie and unfocused, unchallenging character. Franco is adnittedly a potentially very good actor. But not here.

My problem with Jesse Eisenberg is that I couldn't relate to him in Social Network. And before someone says it, yes, I know, that's the point of the movie - I don't mean in that way. I was completely uninterested in his character, and it's not just because, thank God, I have never met anyone like him in my life - I haven't met anyone like Hannibal Lecter either, so that's not the point. I felt that the actor didn't make his character believable, human, interesting, REAL. And Mark Zuckenberg IS a human being, I guess.

Jeff Bridges - better than in Crazy Heart, but still not Oscar-worthy.

Now, I know that the haters of foreign languages will think I'm mad, but Javier Bardem is a VERY good actor, one of the best working in movies today. And he's very good even in Biutiful - if the movie was better, he'd have my personal Oscar.

The King's Speech isn't a masterpiece either, but at least it's a more pleasant experience and Colin Firth is part of the reason why it's so pleasant. The role isn't as profound as the one he had the year before, but the performance irself is an extremely professional turn by a by now very experienced actor. I'm not sure I should vote for Colin Firth two years in a row, but well, I'm not going to let James Franco win so easily here...
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Per usual, very close to Mister Tee.

Ryan Gosling is the obvious omittee -- it's truly strange that for a duet like Blue Valentine, only half the deserving pair would be cited.

I've liked Gonzalez Inarritu a lot more than many on this board...but I draw the line at Biutiful, a movie which truly wallows in its misery. I thought Bardem had a meaty enough role, and performed it with integrity, but, as with Tommy Lee Jones/Elah, it's in service of a truly risible vehicle.

In retrospect, it's probably good that Bridges won last year, for a more deserving performance than his Rooster Cogburn. Which isn't to knock his work here at all -- I think he's very entertaining in True Grit, in a performance that I find far funnier and (forgive me) grittier than John Wayne's. But, while fun, it's not major enough to win Best Actor.

I was pleased Colin Firth prevailed, mainly because I'd wanted him to win the year prior, but also because I liked his work in The King's Speech. He had a role that could have easily dipped into obvious award-baiting, but Firth's restraint was admirable -- he actually seems like someone TRYING to control his speech impediment, not an actor flaunting it. (Thank god Geoffrey Rush didn't have this role.) But I didn't think this individual work was necessarily a MUST WIN OSCAR candidate; after voting for Firth last year, I definitely don't think it's a second Oscar-level achievement.

Jesse Eisenberg was excellent in The Social Network, in a performance that is appropriately annoying but also rather sad. We all know people like Mark Zuckerberg, who try to fit in so badly, but who have no idea that their consistently rude behavior turns people off from ever wanting to be around them. Eisenberg made his character an asshole, but also a tragically sympathetic one -- not an easy feat.

I'll go for James Franco, though. I thought he bombed as Oscar host, but his first nomination -- which he'd been working to for some time -- was for a very strong performance. So much of the film is a close-up of his face, and with genuine range, Franco showcases a variety of reactions to his predicament: pain, anger, disbelief, despair, determination, etc. That "newscast" sequence even gave him the opportunity to be very funny. Not a runaway choice, but one I'm perfectly content to make.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Well, so far a really split verdict...which seems fitting for a year where I could have gone a number of ways.

Had Ryan Gosling got the nomination he merited for Blue Valentine, he might have corralled my vote. He'd certainly have been in the discussion.

As much as I boosted Jeff Bridges a year ago, here I find his nomination close to incomprehensible (like a lot of his dialogue). I think Bridges barely makes an impression in this film; certainly compared to the way John Wayne ran away with the original -- here, it's Hailee Steinfeld's movie all the way. As I said last December, had the Wayne version not marked this as an Oscar-level role, and had Bridges not been on a hot roll, I doubt this nomination would have even happened.

Javier Bardem is the genuine article -- a charismatic movie-star/actor -- but Biutiful is a pointless hunk of melodrama even by Innaritu standards. Bardem is always a pleasure to watch, but I have no idea what made the Sean Penn/Julia Robetrs gang think his work was so special it had to be touted to this nomination.

Colin Firth's win is a perfectly acceptable one, especially in context of his career. His dyspepsia makes his character more interesting than simply "speech-challenged king who helped beat the Nazis". But he doesn't get my vote.

Jesse Eisenberg is such a specific type (aggressive nerd) that, prior to Social Nework, it would have been hard for one to imagine him a serious Oscar contender. And one doubts he'll ever find a comparable role to compete again. But for me it's hard to deny this is a perfect match of actor and role -- that he engages Sorkin's dialogue brilliantly, and makes Zuckerberg a truly memorable chactaer. He's close to my choice.

But I go with James Franco, who carried a whole film on his shoulders (often, as Sabin says, with Danny Boyle running interference). Franco creates a full-bodied character, one who achieves some level of audience sympathy, even while not only not seeking it but sometimes actively shunning it. Franco's lackadaisical media persona I think leads many to underrate him. I think he's most likely of this year's losers to return in future Oscar races, and, for me, he's the best of this group,

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”