Anna Kendrick - Up in the Air
11%
Mo'Nique - Precious
57%

Total votes: 44

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

dws1982 wrote:Anna Kendrick was embarrassingly bad.
Yeah, but in the Twilight movies, not in Up in the Air.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Vera Farmiga was a revelation for me - I was like, "Where has this actress been all these years?". In lots of American movies probably, but movies that I hadn't seen or I didn't remember having seen. Great performance, great character - she gets my vote now as she did less than a year ago.

Cruz and Gyllenhaal didn't deserve to be nominated. The two others did - including Mo'nique. I could never vote for anything or anyone from Precious, but she was the best thing about it. Yet some of the reasons why she won (and she shouldnt have won, let's make this clear) belong to a state of mind and a way of feeling - even more than of thinking - that, not being American, I can't share, unfortunately.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Mo'Nique.

Cruz's "A Call to the Vatican" is all wrong, I think: trashy instead of sensual. Maggie Gyllenhaal and Vera Farmiga were fine. Anna Kendrick was embarrassingly bad.

My picks for the year:
1- Anamaria Marinca, Storm
2- Marion Cotillard, Nine
3- Mo'Nique, Precious
4- Joan Chen, 24 City
5- Isabella Rossellini, Two Lovers

Also: Vinessa Shaw, Two Lovers; Jillian Hennessey, Lymelife; Lu Liping, 24 City; Kirin Kiki, Still Walking; Edith Scob, Summer Hours

Edited By dws1982 on 1293205735
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Maggie Gyllenhaal - Crazy Heart
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I dislike her passionately as a person, but Mo'Nique was fantastic.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Wow, it's been less than a year and I've already put it out of my mind that Penelope Cruz was nominated for that unspeakably awful movie. (Lest we forget, didn't Nine get something like 10 nominations from the Broadcast reviewers?)

I have no problem at all with the other nominees, Excluding Cruz this is a pretty strong lineup. (Ironically, Cruz is my number one choice for Bet Actress for Broken Embraces.) But Mo'Nique gives such an astonishingly lived-in performance where she IS this horrible person and not an actress playing the horrible person that she cannot be denied.

I'm glad Maggie Gyllenhaal finally was an Oscar nominee, but the role was cliched and less-than-believable. Fermiga and Kendrick are both terrific.

My Own Top 5:
1. Marife Necesito in Mammoth
2. Mo’Nique in Precious: Based On The Novel Push By Sapphire
3. Clare Danes in Me And Orson Welles
4. Vera Fermiga in Up In The Air
5. Drew Barrymore in He’s Just Not That Into You

Edited By Damien on 1293177918
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Finding a love interest for George Clooney ain't easy. Finding one for him to lose his heart over is next to impossible. He won't ever find a better one than Vera Farmiga.

A good lineup. I won't subject myself to Nine, so I don't know. Of all the roles for Maggie Gyllenhaal to be nominated for, how could the Academy have chosen this? Julianne Moore or Samantha Morton would have been better. Mo'Nique is quite good and I can't begrudge her win. She's so good that she upends her film by providing something too honest and human in the final stretch. And similarly Up in the Air suffers from not enough time spent with Anna Kendrick. Three very solid nominees ain't that bad.

1. Rachel Weisz, The Brothers Bloom
2. Edith Scob, Summer Hours
3. Vera Farmiga, Up in the Air
4. Mo'Nique, Precious
5. Anna Kendrick, Up in the Air
"How's the despair?"
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

My picks for 2009:

Vera Farmiga, Up in the Air
Julianne Moore, A Single Man
Mo’Nique, Precious
Marion Cotillard, Nine
Rosamund Pike, An Education
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

No need to dwell too much on this one.

Mo'Nique, though I definitely look forward to rooting for Farmiga at some point in the future.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Not a good year for supporting actresses. The best performance of those nominated, from Mo'Nique, would be hard pressed to make my final five in most years. She was just about the only thing for Lee Daniel's overbearing film, and added some much appreciated humor, even if some of it may not have been intentional.

Vera Farmiga is one of the best actresses to have emerged in recent years and she is good in Up in the Air but the revelation about her character towards the end of the film ends up undermining her performance.

I was glad to see Maggie Gyllenhaal but only because I enjoyed her comic work in Away We Go. Her role in Crazy Horse was somewhat unbelievable.

As for Penelope Cruz, another nomination for another bad performance in another bad film. If the Academy had to nominate anyone from the horrid Nine they could have at least had the taste to nominate Marion Cottilard who was the only person in the film to a reasonable performance.

My choices (4 of whom I would not consider in most years) were:

1. Samantha Morton for The Messenger
2. Mo'Nique for Precious
3. Jennifer Coolidge for Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call – New Orleans
4. Maggie Gyllenhaal for Away We Go
5. Jane Lynch for Julie and Julia
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

They told us in January, 2009, a full eight months before the film opened, who the winner would be based on her reception at the Sundance Film Festival.

Some of us, including me, refused to believe it, but as the year pressed on and no one else blew our socks off, by this time last year it was clearly evident the soothsayers were right. The only question was who would they put up against Mo'Nique's big, bad mama in Precious?

Vera Farmiga and Anna Kendrick were obvious choices and if Up in the Air had been as good as the buzz led us to believe, one of them might have had a shot, but unfortunately it fell a few air miles short of being all that great.

There were other possibilities, and for my money more attention should have been paid to Samantha Morton in The Messenger and Diane Kruger in Inglorious Basterds, but the Academy saw it differently. The love for Jeff Bridges in Crazy Love spilled over to his co-star Maggie Gyllenhaal in one of those only-in-Hollywood romances and Penelope Cruz for doing God knows what in Nine. If she did any acting, it passed me by.

I know Mo'Nique is going to win this by a landslide, so just to keep it interesting I'm voting for Anna Kendrick, who , unlike Penelope Cruz, is someone who can sing and dance and should do more of it.

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”