6. Sandha Khin, in "Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench"
7. Gina McKee, in "In the Loop"
8. Rosamund Pike, in "An Education"
9. Mélanie Laurent, in "Inglourious Basterds"
10. Alice de Lencquesaing, in "Father of My Children"
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Lets face it Reza, you and I are probably the only people round here who are not totally wasted.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I think the idea was to give the polls a little break, and so it didn't get lost in this post Christmas, pre New Years week.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

FilmFan720 wrote:We've already voted on the next poll, and it is going to be Best Actor. It starts next Tuesday, Jan. 4.

http://uaadb.oscarguy.com/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=12;t=13220
Why January 4? Why not this week?
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

We've already voted on the next poll, and it is going to be Best Actor. It starts next Tuesday, Jan. 4.

http://uaadb.oscarguy.com/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=12;t=13220
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Snick's Guy
Temp

Post by Snick's Guy »

We've come to the end of the supporting actress polls - I have really enjoyed the commentary and thanks to Big Magilla for the energy and effort in posting these bi-weekly polls. I wonder if there is any interest in beginning a Best Actor bi-weekly poll?
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

I´m still trying to understand why Penelope Cruz was nominated that year. I would have picked Marion Cotillard instead.
As for the rest, Farmiga, Kendrick and Gyllenhaall were correct.
Without any doubt M´onique made the difference. My vote goes to her.
Kova
Graduate

Post by Kova »

Gyllenhaal tries to do something new with her familiar character, but you can see every ounce of effort. I think I'd love to hang out with her in real life, but she can be way too precious on screen.

I've never understood the admiration for Vera Farmiga--I've seen most of her major film roles (Up in the Air, Down to the Bone, The Departed) and for me she is as dull as a thumb tack. It doesn't help that Up in the Air was ridiculously overrated.

I don't blame Cruz for the catastrophic Nine--she does everything she can to breathe some life into her scenes, but I can't get behind anything associated with this train wreck of a film.

Only Kendrick and Mo'Nique were deserving of nods. The former is spritely in all the right ways, and I'm curious to see how her career evolves from here. But it's tough to beat Mo'Nique's big scene. Sure, it's a scene that comes out of nowhere, but she reaches a level of realism that makes it uncomfortable to sit through. For the second year in a row, I agree with the Academy.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Never got the acclaim for Moore at all. But I hated A Single Man.

Voted for Farmiga, though I'm fine with Mo'Nique.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Barely time to discuss, and so recent it hardly rates it, but...

Moore and Morton should have been here. Cruz should not have. I'm not as down on Gyllenhaal's work as many, but I was a soft touch for Crazy Heart in general.

Vera Farmiga is, for me, clearly the standout of the Up in the Air two, and I'll second BJ, that I anticipate rooting for her in a future contest.

But Mo 'Nique was a knockout here. She did plenty to earn an Oscar in the earlier parts of the film, then virtually demanded one with that extraordinary final monologue. Actresses with decades of training couldn't have done better than what she did in that scene. An easy choice.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Anna Kendrick, hands down.
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

1. Vera Farmiga – B. A fine turn - mature, intelligent, sensual and non sentimental.
2. Anna Kendrick – C. Nicely if not sensationally performing a nicely if not sensationally written role.
3. Maggie Gyllenhaal – D. Right actress, wrong performance.
4. Mo'Nueiq– D. Wow, guilt and sensationalism can get you a long way, can't they? The shock value is certainly there, and to her credit she doesn’t over sell it, and as is the case with Sidibe, I guess she would have been better had the material been better.
5. Penelope Cruz – F. Last year I called her turn in VCB a noisy cliché and gave it a D. This year she gives the same performance AND clumsily sings and dance, hence the F.

Should've been: Samantha Morton, Julianne Moore, Rosamund Pike.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I have not seen Precious.

Cruz did nothing for me in Nine. She did an okay "A Call from the Vatican" but Jane Krakowski is leagues better than her (Check out that youtube video!). Cotillard is the only one who deserved a nom out of that group.

Gyllenhaal was fine in Crazy Heart. She didn't do anything wrong but she didn't do anything special to warrant a win.

That leaves the two Up in the Air ladies for me. Vera Farmiga is unforgettable as "Ryan Bingham with a vagina" but Anna Kendrick's scene where she personally fires that old guy via webcam made me love the film. My vote goes to her.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Big Magilla wrote:
dws1982 wrote:Anna Kendrick was embarrassingly bad.
Yeah, but in the Twilight movies, not in Up in the Air.
No, I think she was embarrassingly bad in Up in the Air. I didn't like the movie, and I thought she was the worst thing about it. I would absolutely rank it as one of the worst performances, male or female, lead or support, of 2009. I honestly don't remember anything about her in the two Twilight movies I saw.

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”