Jennifer Connelly, A Beautiful Mind
15%
Marcia Gay Harden, Pollock
No votes

Total votes: 39

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

OscarGuy wrote:There's energy and passion in nearly every one of these performances...except Jennifer Connelly who's lifeless, boring, repetitive and the worst thing to happen to this category since ... oh, hell, she's the worst thing ever to happen to this category. I mean, I dislike Kim Basinger in L.A. Confidential, but not with as much passion as I hate Connelly. Which is really sad since I think she's pitch-perfect in Requiem for a Dream. She turns around and turns in this hokum.
Nine years after seeing the wretched A Beautiful Mind the only memorable thing I can remember about Connelly's performance was shutting a window.

I voted for Penelope Cruz's dreadful caricature in the Woody Allen mess set in Barcelona.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

There's energy and passion in nearly every one of these performances...except Jennifer Connelly who's lifeless, boring, repetitive and the worst thing to happen to this category since ... oh, hell, she's the worst thing ever to happen to this category. I mean, I dislike Kim Basinger in L.A. Confidential, but not with as much passion as I hate Connelly. Which is really sad since I think she's pitch-perfect in Requiem for a Dream. She turns around and turns in this hokum.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Zellweger gets my vote.

I thought Catherine Zeta-Jones was simply fabulous in Chicago. *smashes beer can in his head and burps*.

Edited By anonymous on 1269333488
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Connelly, Zeta-Jones, and Zellweger. A boring, anonymous performance. A boring, slightly less anonymous performance. And a performance that deserves some kind of Oscar for an Oscar campaign that somehow got Academy members to ignore the fact that they clearly didn't like the film and choose a performance that is brazenly obnoxious as shit. I actually have a little bit of a soft spot for Renee Zellweger's performance. She's not good, and much of her performance is heard (O.C.), a choice made by editor Walter Murch that gives her character and endearing quality of perennially trailing off.

At least she's doing something. Catherine Zeta-Jones has a good number at the beginning but that does not warrant an Oscar. She's such an oddly bland presence for such an exotic actress, and every moment following the opening number invalidates what the number sets up. That's more than I can say for Jennifer Connelly who does absolutely nothing in A Beautiful Mind. I do not understand her characters' motivations and it has to qualify as some of the worst acting she's done. Connelly gets my vote.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”