Total votes: 42

Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Broadbent
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Clooney.........not because it was a bad performance. It was good, but hardly worth an Oscar. And it wasn't as if at that stage he was due one for his career. Strange choice.
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

Clooney, then Arkin, then Robbins.
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Almost went with Bardem because (while I do love the movie) he was just serviceable and beat some truly excellent performances--Affleck and especially Holbrook. But in other threads I've had to bite my tongue when someone voted a performance I love as the worst just because of who it beat. So I don't really go in for that.

So in the end, even though no one was really screwed, I had to go with Broadbent's audition for the lead in The Absent-Minded Professor.

Edited By dws1982 on 1268920257
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I have to go with Bardem, one of the most ridiculously overpraised performances I can remember. Sandra Bullock gets flack for being "flat" in The Blind Side, but how is Bardem not "flat" in No Country for Old Men? He just walks around with a bland-menacing look and spouts monotonous words at people. There's no meaning or inflection, it's just mediocre. Will never understand the love of this performance.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Waltz, Bardem, Robbins, Broadbent, Del Toro -- 5 utterly mediocre performances

Arkin -- 1 utterly terrible performance
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Clearly Alan Arkin, though he makes a lot more sense as an Oscar-winner career wise than anyone nominated alongside him.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Broadbent.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Got to be Arkin for me, not so much for the performance (and certainly not for the actor), but for the film, which I continue to dislike. But the vehemence with which I dislike him doesn't even approach what I feel for Crowe and Bullock, my choices in the other negative threads. (And god help us when we get to supporting actress)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Number of performances I think are truly, no-bones-about-it supporting: Arkin, Freeman, and Cooper. I think that the performances that should win this award are truly supporting and performances like Ledger, Bardem, and Broadbent are clearly co-leads. This year just had a better crop of co-leads than usual. As the years go on, we're clearly getting more and more co-leads pushed to support where they win, which is a shame.

I need to see Mystic River again. The last time I saw it, I didn't like it nearly as much and found Robbin's perf to be annoyingly one-noted. Especially after seeing him do the same thing in the otherwise superior War of the Worlds, he might be my choice. That being said, while Alan Arkin certainly livens up Little Miss Sunshine with a certain charm, it's a wholly unambitious performance in a somehow less ambitious film. He's undercut by his character's (*COUGH*) trajectory and that his character's legacy is that dance off at the end which is completely annoying, I have no problem choosing Arkin.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”