Halle Berry, Monster's Ball
No votes
Julia Roberts, Erin Brockovich
7%

Total votes: 41

Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Only Mirren, Swank, and Roberts deserve awards for these performances. I was very tempted to vote for Swank, who is fabulous, but actually second to Winslet that year (who ends up finishing this list off with the worst performance on it, unfortunately).

I went with Mirren, but the 3 I mentioned are the only ones who should have one singular vote on this esteemed board.

In my "perfect" world...maybe it would look like this
Burstyn (though I like Roberts)
Spacek
Huppert (or Gyllenhaal)
Jamie Lee Curtis
as is (or Winslet to save us from the Reader)
Farmiga
as is (Cruz was worthy- saves us from VCB)
Christie
Hathaway (or hell, Binoche in a different world)
Swinton (or Gainsbourg or Moreau or Cornish or

Edited By Bog on 1270140511
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I voted for Mirren, though I was tempted to vote for Winslet's unreasonably maligned performance.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Mirren.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

The great Mirren
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

A default vote for Mirren, who wasn't even my choice that year. (The only one of my choices that did win, Witherspoon, was in a clearly dismal year)

If Moore in '02 or Christie in '07 had won as they deserved to, I'd take far more delight in this poll.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Duh.

The great Hilary Swank, of course.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Looking at this list has made me wonder: why is this the category that always ruins my night?

I very nearly voted for Mirren. She's easily the classiest choice made this entire decade, and the only one I'd have actually voted to win the Oscar her year.

But, assuming she'd be a runaway (and I see I was right), I picked Hilary Swank. Of course, she's not nearly the actress Mirren is, but her Million Dollar Baby performance is overwhelmingly powerful. She gets a lot of criticism for winning a second trophy, though with winners like these, why anyone would throw tomatoes at the selection of this great turn is baffling.
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

Mirren. She did not especially look or sound like Elizabeth II. But she projected the essence of her character: a woman of advanced years who has been very famous and powerful her entire life, has been largely sheltered from the real world due to an accident of birth, and is going through a serious personal crisis and resents that she has to do it in public. Mirren made the brilliant decision to not try to impersonate Elizabeth but just play her character (if that makes any sense).
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Only three deserved their awards: Roberts, Swank & Mirren. I voted for Mirren.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

1- Helen Mirren
2- Hilary Swank
3- Julia Roberts
---
4- Reese Witherspoon
5- Marion Cotillard
6- Sandra Bullock
7- Nicole Kidman
---
8- Halle Berry
9- Charlize Theron
10- Kate Winslet
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

WOW!

This is...not...a great list at all. Had Sissy Spacek or Julie Christie rightfully won, I'd be torn between them...but this? I can't begrudge Mirren, Roberts, or Swank their nominations but there were so many in their respective years in the running (or nominated alongside them!) that deserved it more.

I'm going with Julia Roberts whose performance at this point has become somewhat underrated.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”