No votes
Gladiator
No votes

Total votes: 42

HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Ended up picking The Departed
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

No Country for Old Men and Return of the King were neck-in-neck. I decided to pick No Country for Old Men because it's probably one of the least Best Picture-like Best Picture winners at least in recent history.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

The Departed
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Million Dollar Baby
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Decent decade. Still trying to figure out the film I'm going to vote for.

Right now I'm splitted between The Hurt Locker and The Departed. The Return of the King and Slumdog Millionaire are behind. Million Dollar Baby is a great film but not my cup of tea (not a film to see anytime soon) and I have always thought NCFOM´s thematics are better than the film itself.

Gladiator (a guilty pleasure), A Beautiful Mind (a disgrace), Chicago (enjoyable but innocuous film) and Crash (a mess) shouldn't be considered...
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

An even split to my eyes. Five uncommonly good to great winners (2004-2009 barring the one glaring misstep) and five mediocre or worse (admittedly, I'm going on spec with the third LotR movie, since I jumped ship ten minutes into The Two Towers).

Went with No Country, being as it's maybe the only best picture in history with Bresson on its mind.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

No Country was the obvious pick for me: the only time my top movie of the year coincided with the Academy's, and, in fact, the only Oscar winner to make my top three. (Million Dollar Baby and Chicago were a bit farther down) Had the best Rings movie (the first) won rather than the worst, I'd have at least considered it.
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

This lot could be worse. A Beautiful Mind is nonsense, Crash sucks and No Country is a mess, but all of the others at least have something to offer. I voted for The Lord of the Rings.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

What a strange collection of winners. Several of them seem way too good to be true, several of them seem way too bad to be true, and between them there's a solid batch of mainstream entertainments.

I picked The Hurt Locker, which I think is the most completely successful of all of these films, though I actually like many of these in some way.

Edited By The Original BJ on 1270842391
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

BREAK IT UP!

Heh. I actually accidentally wrote in Brokeback Mountain instead of Crash. That's how much worse this lineup is than Best Director. I can only muster up any kind of real enthusiasm for three or four of them. I choose No Country for Old Men slightly over Million Dollar Baby and The Departed.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”