A Double Triple Crown?

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Joan Allen has either had bad plastic surgery, too much botox or is not aging well. She looks too odd now for a period piece.

She was the one thing about her most recent film that I have seen, Hachiko: A Dog's Story because her odd look distracted me from an otherwise very worthy film (best performance Richard Gere has ever given).
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Reza wrote:I also thought of Joan Allen but she looks much older than Day-Lewis. Ditto Marcia Gay Harden.

I agree Liam Neeson would have been a good choice. He was mentioned for the part for the longest while. Pity he is no longer involved with this project.

Daniel Day Lewis was born in 1957. Marcia Gay Harden in 1959. Joan Allen in 1956. So they're all basically the same age. (My people.)

In any case, in photographs, Mary Todd Lincoln always looked older than her age (being crazy will do that to you) and older than Abe.

Edited By Damien on 1290672080
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Damien wrote:
Franz Ferdinand wrote:The whole project reeks of Oscar prestige, and Day-Lewis as Lincoln is a very exciting prospect.

Who do you guys (want to) see playing Mary Todd?
For me, the prospect of the abhorrently awful Day-Lewis as Lincoln (instead of the wonderful and perfectly cast Liam Neeson) means I'll likely be avoiding theatres where this thing is playing. (After Nine, shouldn't Day-Lewis be barred from making any movies for a five- or ten-year period?) But in response to you question, Franz, Marcia Gay Harden looks somewhat like Marry Todd Lincoln. I could also see Joan Allen in the role.
I also thought of Joan Allen but she looks much older than Day-Lewis. Ditto Marcia Gay Harden.

I agree Liam Neeson would have been a good choice. He was mentioned for the part for the longest while. Pity he is no longer involved with this project.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Franz Ferdinand wrote:The whole project reeks of Oscar prestige, and Day-Lewis as Lincoln is a very exciting prospect.

For me, the prospect of the abhorrently awful Day-Lewis as Lincoln (instead of the wonderful and perfectly cast Liam Neeson) means I'll likely be avoiding theatres where this thing is playing. (After Nine, shouldn't Day-Lewis be barred from making any movies for a five- or ten-year period?) But in response to you question, Franz, Marcia Gay Harden looks somewhat like Marry Todd Lincoln. I could also see Joan Allen in the role.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Anne Hathaway?
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

The whole project reeks of Oscar prestige, and Day-Lewis as Lincoln is a very exciting prospect.

dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Anytime they mention an upcoming Lincoln biopic, it just makes me wish they would finally release the 1976 miniseries Lincoln (based on Carl Sandburg's biography, and starring Hal Holbrook and Sada Thompson) on DVD. So many miniseries from that era have been put on DVD but that one still hasn't, and although it's been about fifteen years since I've seen it, I remember it being excellent.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I think Liam Neeson dropped out because he thought he was too old for the part. If they don't hurry up and make it, Daniel Day-Lewis may have to drop out for the same reason. :;):
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I remember hearing Liam Neeson attached two years ago when the project first circulated before Spielberg diverted to other projects. I haven't heard anything on Mary Todd Lincoln yet. This is a relatively recent development, which suggests they are just now in the process of putting things together. After all, getting your Lincoln first is probably important.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:Lincoln provide Walter Huston, Henry Fonda and Raymond Massey with career high roles. There's no reason to think Daniel Day-Lewis wouldn't be just as memorable given the right script.
Wasn't Liam Neeson attached to this project?
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

The "Lincoln as dour" read is actually a rather facile way of looking at American history.

I could definitely see Day-Lewis, at the very least, being nominated. We all know that he will become Lincoln and will settle for nothing less of a performance that conveys that. Who is on the slate for Mary Todd?

And where did I hear Liam Neeson/Sally Field?

Edited By flipp525 on 1290198146
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Lincoln provide Walter Huston, Henry Fonda and Raymond Massey with career high roles. There's no reason to think Daniel Day-Lewis wouldn't be just as memorable given the right script.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

More likely that the actress playing Mary Todd wins the Oscar. Lincoln was such a dour character. And surely dour Day-Lewis playng dour Lincoln means no Oscar.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Could we be seeing a Double Triple kind of event with Steven Spielberg's new Abraham Lincoln biopic?

They just announced Daniel Day Lewis will be cast as Lincoln.

This could mean Day Lewis' third Oscar for Best Actor. This could also generate Spielberg's third Oscar for Best Director.

I'd say signs point to yes...pretty staggering selection there...and strangely, I can see Day Lewis doing a smash-up job.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”