Jim Broadbent, Iris
7%
Benicio Del Toro, Traffic
10%

Total votes: 42

FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

All in all, this is a pretty fabulous lineup. 7 out of the 10 would have been at least nominated by me, and the three that wouldn't have been (Arkin, Clooney, Ledger) are completely understandable wins for career achievement in good, if not great performances.

As for my vote, I went with Broadbent only because I knew he wouldn't get support elsewhere and it is a lovely performance in a film I think is underappreciated. His win was perhaps the most pleasant surprise of the decade for me.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

One likes to think of this award going to great character actors but this is a highly unimpressive list of performances. I went with Heath Ledger, with Chris Cooper, George Clooney and Morgan Freeman the only others in contention. The rest of them -- feh!

Edited By Damien on 1268849819
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Del Toro.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Easily the highest quality group of winners in all of the acting categories this decade. I could genuinely consider voting for most of these winners as Best of the Decade.

I ultimately went with Robbins -- something about his performance is so heartbreaking and haunting it's really stuck with me -- but on another day I might have chosen someone else.

Even the weakest winners here -- Arkin and, for me, Clooney -- are hard to root against in career terms.
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

I went with Freeman narrowly over Ledger.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Apart from "not Alan Arkin", I had a real tough time picking here. Finally went with Chris Cooper, perhaps because he stood out next to the last three psycho-killer winners (who were all splendid as well).
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Sabin wrote:This is a pretty outstanding lineup of winners.

Agree!
Waltz, Bardem and Ledger the best.

Edited By Hustler on 1268828869
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I voted for Morgan Freeman. He, Del Toro and Waltz were the only ones I thought were the best of the competition in the years they won and Freeman was the only one who truly supported the leads of his film rather than starring in his own section of the film the way most of the other winners did.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Sabin wrote:This is a pretty outstanding lineup of winners. I'm torn between two very different nutjobs: Chris Cooper in Adaptation. and Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight. Ultimately, I'm going with the latter.

I prefer the third nutjob, who wins it, for that hairstyle alone.

Edited By Reza on 1268829593
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

This is a pretty outstanding lineup of winners. I'm torn between two very different nutjobs: Chris Cooper in Adaptation. and Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight. Ultimately, I'm going with the latter.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”