Jennifer Connelly, A Beautiful Mind
No votes
Marcia Gay Harden, Pollock
9%

Total votes: 33

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I voted for Rachel Weisz, though she belonged in the Best Actress category. She's miles better then any of the other winners.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Rachel Weisz
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Another Mo'Nique vote, though I, too, worry it's benefiting from freshest-in-the-mind syndrome.

I just don't care for many of these -- Harden and Weisz were the only other contenders. I'm rather gobsmacked by the support for Swinton...like Eric, I think she's a terrific actress overall, but I thought her Michael Clayton work ran at best third in '06, after Ryan and Blanchett, and barely ahead of Ronan. Blanchett I also love, but not so much in The Aviator. I flat dislike Zellweger and Zeta-Jones.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Tough for two reasons. First, I feel like it's good to at least let the dust settle on Mo'Nique's win before voting her best of the decade. And second, Marcia Gay Harden would certainly also warrant strong consideration, but I haven't seen Pollock in ten years, and thus, it's hard to make a close comparison.

Today, I voted for Mo'Nique, because I really do think her powerhouse performance will be seen as a high for this category in years to come.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Swinton, followed by Blanchett and Gay Harden.

Edited By Hustler on 1269296076
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

It's between Mo'Nique and Swinton for me. The latter is by far the best actress to win in this category all decade, but she's capable of so much better/more, so I'll give the former the edge.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Few winners in this category have been the best of their respective years since its inception in 1936.

Weisz, Hudson and Mo'Nique were the only ones I considered the best of their respective years this decade, but I voted for Catherine Zeta-Jones because I think she gets a bum rap. I probably would have considered her the best of her year had she not been up against Kathy Bates in About Schmidt.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Marcia Gay Harden. As far as I'm concerned, Mo'Nique is the only other one who merits consideration.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

There is not a single winner here that I felt was better than her competition. The ones that come the closest in my opinion are Mo'Nique, Swinton, Weisz, Blanchett, and Harden.

I haven't seen Pollock in ages. I recall her being good but I can't remember a single scene of the film. It all rather blurred together for me.

Weisz is fine. I think The Constant Gardener is pretty forgettable. She makes a strong impression in the film but I certainly wouldn't call it a great performance. Before the good humor she demonstrated in The Brothers Bloom, I would have said she's just not a great actress. But she's gorgeous and her gorgeousness is used to good effect in The Constant Gardener.

Mo'Nique's performance in the final scenes of Precious constitute some of the best acting I've seen, but the rest of her performance while effective is pretty one-note. I can't begrudge her Oscar but she's worlds away from the effortless charm of Vera Farmiga in Up in the Air.

Cate Blanchett is certainly superficial in The Aviator but not out of sync with the rest of the film (can you BELIEVE it was touted as the front-runner before Million Dollar Baby reared its head?!). The first third of The Aviator is by far the best stuff in the film, but Blanchett sparks it to life for a good stretch of it. I think she was far stronger in I'm Not There, but she's a lot of fun in The Aviator.

I'm going with Tilda Swinton because every time I see the film, I keep paying closer and closer attention to her character. In a desperately calculated film, it's the only facet that breathes or feels spontaneous, outside of a few perfectly-cast walk-ons here and there. I don't know how Tony Gilroy wrote this part but she comes across as far more sympathetic that one could expect. It's not one of her great roles and she's not nearly as good as Amy Ryan in Gone Baby Gone or Cate Blanchett in I'm Not There, but Swinton's win is the definition of support.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”