A Beautiful Mind
32%
Gladiator
11%

Total votes: 37

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I think A Beautiful Mind's depiction of mental illness is pretty evil. So is Crash's depiction of humanity entire...
"How's the despair?"
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

I mean, it's really the choice between a big mediocrity that people for whatever reason willed themselves into liking and the powerfully evil movie you were horrified to discover many people you normally trust absolutely adored.

A Beautiful Mind is McCain. Crash is Palin.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

It's a close race between A Beautiful Mind and Crash for me. The rest of the movies, even though, I may disagree with them being the best of the year, or even being the best among the nominees, I at least understood WHY they won and I can definitely see the appeal. These two pissed me off.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I take BJ's point, that the very fact Gladiator was reclassified as an Oscar contender at year end, when all it ever was was a sumer movie with literary pretensions, is enough to tempt one to vote for it. But A Beautiful Mind is just so silly by the end -- and so manifestly inferior to some strong co-nominees -- that i couldn't resist it.

And, to the despair of Eric, I just can't work up that level of hate for Crash.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

As much as I would love to vote for Crash, A Beautiful Mind is so much worse a film. I mean, Braveheart might be the only worse Best Picture winner since I started watching the Oscars.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

A Beautiful Mind is an easy choice
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Voting for anything else would be like voting against free access to oxygen.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

A Beautiful Mind and No Country For Old Men are awful, and Crash and The Hurt Locker are pretty bad, too. But none of them is as ludicrous a Best Picture winner as Gladiator. Ye gods, other than Joaquin Phoenix's performance, that movie is putrid. Another beaut from Ridley Scott.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

I don't want to send Eric running for the nearest tall building or anything...but in the end I voted for A Beautiful Mind, however I'd honestly be up for a debate on voting any of these films here save No Country.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Gladiator.

A Beautiful Mind was a groaner, and Crash was appalling, but the fact that Gladiator was taken remotely seriously as a Best Picture candidate was this decade's lowest low in my book.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I'm going to tally these up after we're done.

I'm choosing A Beautiful Mind which is mind-boggling where Crash is just wrong-headed.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”