SAG Life Achievement to...Betty White?

Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

FilmFan720 wrote:Anyone else find it weird that the younger generation likes this choice of an old-fashioned classes while the older generation finds it desperate?
Not really. I imagine the frame of reference for most of us on the young side is Golden Girls.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Anyone else find it weird that the younger generation likes this choice of an old-fashioned classes while the older generation finds it desperate?

I love Betty White, I think she is one of the greatest comediannes of all time, and can't think of a better choice. She is much more of a TV star than a film actress (does she have any notable film performances?), but she has been on hit show after hit show and has brought a grace and intelligence to all of them. She has a lifetime of great performances, and the SAG award has shows that it likes to honor TV and film equally with this award.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I'm sorry but I have to agree with Tee on this one.

I don't doubt Betty White is the dear, sweet, darling, pet loving old lady of her public persona, and it's nice that SAG isn't going the direction of other awards shows and honoring someone still in their prime, but I can't help but think the only reason they are honoring her is because she is one of the few in her age group still around. Elaine Stritch, next year?
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I agree with OscarGuy. I can't think of a better person to honor than the truly wonderful Betty White who, as has been mentioned, has probably worked with more people in the room than almost anyone with so many credits to her name. Not only that, she is such an integral part of television history. This isn't scraping the bottom of the barrell; it's plucking the deserving out of the TV ghetto.

How wonderfully refreshing.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I disagree entirely. SAG isn't just about film, btw, it does encompass television and White isn't solely a TV actress, but that's her bread and butter. She's been a stable of television for decades and continues to work even though many actresses might have given up years ago.

Her work on Golden Girls and The Mary Tyler Moore Show are iconic and she has a number of other projects that she's managed to bring class and style to. She has nearly 200 credits to her name both as an actress and as a personality including frequent appearances on many classic game shows: To Tell the Truth, What's My Line?, The Match Game (both Black-and-White and Color incarnations), Password, Hollywood Squares, The $10,000 Pyramid.

And even if you don't like her film career (her choices aren't great), she is often cited as the best parts of her respective films: Lake Placid, Bringing Down the House, The Proposal.

So, she may not be a Hollywood legend, but she's a Television Legend and I'm glad to see SAG is recognizing people from that medium as well.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Well, she seems nice enough. But this has a "we've run out of important people to honor" vibe to it.

BETTY WHITE HONORED WITH 2009 SCREEN ACTORS GUILD LIFE ACHIEVEMENT AWARD

46th Annual Accolade to be Presented During the 16th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards®

Los Angeles, California (September 15, 2009) – Screen Actors Guild (SAG) announced today beloved comedienne, pioneering television producer, host, author and animal advocate Betty White, will receive the Guild’s most prestigious accolade—the Screen Actors Guild Life Achievement Award for career achievement and humanitarian accomplishment. White will be presented the Award, given annually to an actor who fosters the “finest ideals of the acting profession,” at the “16th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards®”, which premieres live on TNT and TBS Saturday, January 23, 2010, at 8 p.m. ET/PT, 7 p.m. CT and 6 p.m. MT.

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”