SAG Life Achievement to...Betty White?

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

flipp525 wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:Elaine Stritch, next year?
Elaine Stritch should've been nominated for her fantastic supporting turn in September, quite honestly.
I keep going back and forth between Stritch in September and Kathy Bake in Street Smart for my fifth slot in the 1987 Supporting Actress race.

I think Stritch gives the stronger performance but the film is so miserably bad I hate to give it any recognition.

I've always wondered what Maureen O'Sullivan did that was so terrible that Woody Allen had to re-shoot all her scenes with Stritch.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Big Magilla wrote:Elaine Stritch, next year?
Elaine Stritch should've been nominated for her fantastic supporting turn in September, quite honestly.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Hi, all. Haven't been around much but I have to put in another word for Betty White.

She has been highly successful in TV since the early fifties, I believe--it seems she has never left the screen.

Mary Tyler Moore, a wonderful show, was even more fun when Sue Ann Nivens came into the newsroom, and many of us waited for her to insult Murray in a new way. From what I have seen of her saltiness in interviews, Betty is more like Sue Ann than Rose.

She is loved by animal rights groups , TV show producers , and other comedians--and a public who is more than willing to sit down and watch WHATEVER she is in.

Edited By cam on 1253226316
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Big Magilla, isn't this right about the time when you start floating the name Olivia de Havilland?

Edited By flipp525 on 1253110251
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Damien wrote:Big, if the SAG Board becomes aware of her being blacklisted, Marsha Hunt may have a chance at the award.
Marsha Hunt, who will be 92 next month, would be a perfect choice.

She has never been one to mope around and feel sorry for herself. After she was blacklisted she treated herself to a trip around the world where she became involved with UNICEF and spent decades working for the UN, extending her charitable work to include the March of Dimes and the Red Cross. She's also been very outspoken on civil rights and more recently has become a record producer. She's still sharp as a tack.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Mostly a stage actor -- he originated the Buddy Hackett tole in The Music Man -- Iggie Wolfingtom had small parts in a grand total of 6 movies.

I suspect that his SAG award can be explained by this entry in IMDb: As the longtime West Coast representative of the New York-based Actors' Fund of America, Wolfington helped thousands of actors in need of financial, medical and other assistance.

Similarly, the wonderful character actor, Leon Ames (Father in Meet Me In St. Louis) was probably honored not for his pleasing screen presence but because he was a stalwart union activist.

The Lifetime Achievement Award takes into account a person's offscreen activities, so I'm sure that Betty White's animal activism had something to do with her designation, and as someone who seems to be on the mailing list of every animal rights group in America, that's fine by me.

Big, if the SAG Board becomes aware of her being blacklisted, Marsha Hunt may have a chance at the award. Maureen O'Hara would be a great choice, but I thhink she's a Republican which may work against her. (Though it didn't hurt Shirley Temple.)

Edited By Damien on 1253084455
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Marsha Hunt? Eleanor Parker? Maureen O'Hara? Do these names even mean anything anymore?
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Iggie Wolfington looks like one of those things a teacher would throw in to make sure the class was paying attention.

I hadn't realized the award predated the televised show, so my impression of it was based on what I've seen in those years -- Redford, Taylor, Douglas, Eastwood, Andrews. Do people really not note the fall-off from there to Betty White? (And I like her, I swear I do) The most analogous predecessor in the period -- Asner -- had the clear advantage of having been a prominent SAG president.

Anyway...

Damien, my friend Dave, who played the candy store owner on Brooklyn Bridge, would be glad to know you remember the show. He'd only wish there'd been more of you while it was on the air.

Oscar Guy, I don't think it's fair to label Dee and Davis as supporting actors, even though that's what they mostly did late in their careers. Dee, especially, was very much a leading lady for some time, even playing Mary Tyrone on a TV version of Long Day's Journey. And both did major leading work in the theatre. I'd no more consider them essentially supporting players than I would Jason Robards, whose lead roles on film were also few and far between.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Here's a complete list of SAG Lifetime Achievement winners which, you can see is a very mixed bag. To those who are unhappy about Betty White, I've got 2 words: "Iggie Wolfington."

SAG Life Achievement Award Winners

1962 Eddie Cantor

1963 Stan Laurel

1965 Bob Hope

1966 Barbara Stanwyck

1967 William Gargan

1968 James Stewart

1969 Edward G. Robinson

1970 Gregory Peck

1971 Charlton Heston

1972 Frank Sinatra

1973 Martha Raye

1974 Walter Pidgeon

1975 Rosalind Russell

1976 Pearl Bailey

1977 James Cagney

1978 Edgar Bergen

1979 Katharine Hepburn

1980 Leon Ames

1982 Danny Kaye

1983 Ralph Bellamy

1984 Iggie Wolfington

1985 Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward

1986 Nanette Fabray

1987 Red Skelton

1988 Gene Kelly

1989 Jack Lemmon

1990 Brock Peters

1991 Burt Lancaster

1992 Audrey Hepburn

1993 Ricardo Montalban

1994 George Burns

1995 Robert Redford

1996 Angela Lansbury

1997 Elizabeth Taylor

1998 Kirk Douglas

1999 Sidney Poitier

2000 Ossie Davis and Ruby Dee

2001 Edward Asner

2002 Clint Eastwood

2003 Karl Malden

2004 James Garner

2005 Shirley Temple

2006 Julie Andrews

2007 Charles Durning

2008 James Earl Jones

Edited By Damien on 1253052417
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Mister Tee wrote: And the fact that, while Golden Girls came along long after sitcom-watching had ceased to be part of my life, what I did see of it struck me as near-complete swill.
I'm with you there, Tee. Even though I love Bea Arthur and like Rue McLanahan and Betty White, I thought that show was unwatchable. (And I was still watching a lot of sit-coms at that period, memorable programs like Murphy Brown, Designing Women, Newhart, Brooklyn Bridge and Frank's Place.)

As an actor friend of mine once said after The Golden Girls again picked up some Emmys: "Exactly who is it who decided that this is a good show?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

So, you would say that actresses like Thelma Ritter should never get lifetime achievement awards because they aren't top-tier actresses commanding attention in lead roles?

And Betty White may be merely a supporting actress in most of her shows (I would consider GG a full-on all-lead group), but she is one of the few celebrities of her era that EVERYONE knows. You don't have to be 80 or 18 to know who Betty White is. I mean Charles Durning as an example has been mostly forgotten because his work post-'80s has been relatively small in scope, but he's far less visible to the masses.

And why should they not recognize character actors or those who support the leads. I think it's perfectly within reason to recognize them and I'd encourage the Academy and other groups to make that consideration. After all, what would the stars be without able support?

But, I applaud SAG for thinking outside of the box and recognizing people like White, Durning, Ossie Davis, Ruby Dee, etc.

None of you took umbrage at Ossie or Ruby earning SAG Lifetime awards and they were mostly just supporting players much of their career.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Yeah, TV comedy doesn't really get much better than The Golden Girls
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Mister Tee wrote:And the fact that, while Golden Girls came along long after sitcom-watching had ceased to be part of my life, what I did see of it struck me as near-complete swill.
Oh now, them's fightin' words right there.

Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

There's something to what Damien says -- my initial impression is definitely "I'm Betty White, and we're all here to play Password". And FilmFan's thought is true enough in that, back in the day, TV folk were always considered of lesser vintage than their film contemporaries (I recognize, that day is long past).

But there's also, for me, the fact that I consider White at her peak (Mary Tyler Moore Show) to be a supporting player, nothing more. And the fact that, while Golden Girls came along long after sitcom-watching had ceased to be part of my life, what I did see of it struck me as near-complete swill.

I'd forgotten about Charles Durning, in honesty...so there is some precedent for the mediocritization (word?) of this prize. But, still, when I think of Life Achievement, I think way further up the scale than Betty White. YMMV
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

FilmFan720 wrote:Anyone else find it weird that the younger generation likes this choice of an old-fashioned classes while the older generation finds it desperate?

I love Betty White, I think she is one of the greatest comediannes of all time, and can't think of a better choice. She is much more of a TV star than a film actress (does she have any notable film performances?), but she has been on hit show after hit show and has brought a grace and intelligence to all of them. She has a lifetime of great performances, and the SAG award has shows that it likes to honor TV and film equally with this award.
I think she's an excellent choice -- better than Charles Durning, for instance, was. Betty White is a first class comic actress.

I think the reason that some of the older folks on the board have reservations may be that, growing up, our generation knew her essentially as a game show celebrity and the co-host of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade rather than an actress,

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”