81st Oscars: The Show

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

This is 60% of a fantastic show, 20% of a very good one, and 20% of absolute confusion.

The show failed at being anything more than just a show. The Oscars are designed to promote the movies and the categories. Outside of an excellent screenwriting presentation, we are left on the outside of the differentiation between Sound Mixing and Sound Effects. In addition, no Best Picture presentations throughout so as to illuminate us as to what these movies really were. No clips of performances so people can see WHY they should care about Michael Shannon. Lord knows, that bullshit Survivor-tribunal staged between the previous winners was at least three times as long as just showing clips. I really did not like that addition at all. The Best Song presentation only worked because the Slumdog songs were damn near interchangable. And the Hugh Jackman musical extravaganza was obnoxious...

...the rest was absolute gravy. The presenters were incredibly sharp and funny, ESPECIALLY Steve Martin and Tina Fey. The montages are among the best I've seen, ESPECIALLY the 2008 in Romance clip. These guys need to produce the show again to work out the kinks. These kinks are no brainers too...

1) Clips of performances...come on now. Help Michael Shannon out.
2) Song performances...not this year, but next year.
3) I WANT TO SEE CLIPS OF THE NOMINATED FILMS THROUGHOUT THE BROADCAST. THAT'S WHY WE'RE HERE. -- if you must, break up the finale montage into five parts throughout the broadcast so it's not just one lump sum.
4) Um, please try to tell us the difference between Sound Mixing and Sound Effects.

All of these can be achieved by eliminating that one Musical Tribute to Musicals.
"How's the despair?"
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

* The 5 previous winners presenting the acting awards was a tremendous coup, perhaps too great a thing to try and repeat again. Didn't really miss the clips at all!

* Hugh Jackman's opening montage was fantastic, and he killed it all night though he did seem to disappear later on.

* Will Smith presenting four awards? Really? He kinda bombed with the "fan" comment, all downhill from there.

* Angelina's gigantic emerald ring.

* Where was M.I.A. via hologram?

* No idea what happened to her, but Sophia Loren looked like bark.

* There seemed to be a LOT of standing ovations, at least compared to previous years! I think I counted five or six? The whole show seemed looser and more anything-goes.

* Go away, Beyonce.

* The comedy segment with James Franco and Seth Rogan was hilarious, and Janusz Kaminsky KILLED IT. I nearly peed my pants, it was so absurdly funny.

* Ben Stiller's ego must be stopped!

* So must Philippe Petit's. Though I did find him oddly endearing with his simple magic trick.

* Queen Latifah sang beautifully, though it meant that the mic still picked up audience applause, and their framing was off: sometimes I could barely see the names.

* The little surprises made up for the crushing boredom of the eventual winners. It's been said before: Bill Condon must come back! Congrats!
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

The AP article:

"Slumdog" rules Oscars with 8 prizes including Best Picture

LOS ANGELES – "Slumdog Millionaire" took the best-picture Academy Award and seven other Oscars on Sunday, including director for Danny Boyle, whose ghetto-to-glory story paralleled the film's unlikely rise to Hollywood's summit.

The other top winners: Kate Winslet, best actress for the Holocaust-themed drama "The Reader"; Sean Penn, best actor for the title role of "Milk"; Heath Ledger, supporting actor for "The Dark Knight"; and Penelope Cruz, supporting actress for "Vicky Cristina Barcelona."

A story of hope amid squalor in Mumbai, India, "Slumdog Millionaire" came in with 10 nominations, its eight wins including adapted screenplay, cinematography, editing and both music Oscars (score and song).

"Just to say to Mumbai, all of you who helped us make the film and all of those of you who didn't, thank you very much. You dwarf even this guy," Boyle said, holding up his directing Oscar.

The filmmakers accepted the best-picture trophy surrounded by both the adult professional actors who appeared among the cast of relative unknowns and some of the children Boyle cast from the slums of Mumbai.

The film follows the travails and triumphs of Jamal, an orphan who artfully dodges a criminal gang that mutilates children to make them more pitiable beggars. Jamal witnesses his mother's violent death, endures police torture and struggles with betrayal by his brother, while single-mindedly hoping to reunite with the lost love of his childhood.

Fate rewards Jamal, whose story unfolds through flashbacks as he recalls how he came to know the answers that made him a champion on India's version of "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire."

As he took the stage to accept his prize for playing slain gay-rights pioneer Harvey Milk, Penn gleefully told the crowd: "You commie, homo-loving sons of guns."

He followed with condemnation of anti-gay protesters who demonstrated near the Oscar site and comments about California's recent vote to ban gay marriage.

"For those who saw the signs of hatred as our cars drove in tonight, I think it's a good time for those who voted for the ban against gay marriage to sit and reflect on their great shame and their shame in their grandchildren's eyes if they continue that support," Penn said. "We've got to have equal rights for everyone."

For his demented reinvention of Batman villain the Joker, Ledger became only the second actor ever to win posthumously, his triumph coming exactly 13 months after his death from an accidental overdose of prescription drugs.

His Oscar for the Warner Bros. blockbuster was accepted by Ledger's parents and sister on behalf of the actor's 3-year-old daughter, Matilda.

"I have to say this is ever so humbling, just being amongst such wonderful people in such a wonderful industry," said his father, Kim Ledger. "We'd like to thank the academy for recognizing our son's amazing work, Warner Bros., and Christopher Nolan in particular for allowing Heath the creative license to develop and explore this crazy Joker character."

Since his death, the 28-year-old Ledger has gained a mythic aura akin to James Dean, another rising star who died well before his time.

The Joker was his final completed role, a casting choice that initially drew scorn from fans who thought Ledger would not be up to the task given Jack Nicholson's gleefully campy rendition of the character in 1989's "Batman."

In the months before Ledger's death, buzz on his wickedly chaotic performance swelled as marketing for the movie centered on the Joker and the perverted clown makeup he hid behind.

Ledger's death fanned a frenzy of anticipation for "The Dark Knight," which had a record $158.4 million opening weekend last summer.

The previous posthumous Oscar recipient was Peter Finch, who won best actor for 1976's "Network" two months after his death.

Cruz triumphed as a woman in a steamy three-way affair with her ex-husband and an American woman in Woody Allen's romance.

"Has anybody ever fainted here? Because I might be the first one," Cruz said, who went on with warm thanks to Allen. "Thank you, Woody, for trusting me with this beautiful character. Thank you for having written all these years some of the greatest characters for women."

"OK, that fainting thing, Penelope," Winslet joked later as she accepted her best-actress prize for "The Reader," in which she plays a former concentration camp guard in an affair with a teen. "I'd be lying if I haven't made a version of this speech before. I think I was probably 8 years old and staring into the bathroom mirror, and this would be a shampoo bottle. But it's not a shampoo bottle now."

It was Winslet's first win after five previous losses.

"Slumdog" writer Simon Beaufoy, who adapted the script from Vikas Swarup's novel "Q&A," said there are places he never could imagine being.

"For me, it's the moon, the South Pole, the Miss World podium, and here," Beaufoy said.

The epic love story "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," which led with 13 nominations, had three wins, for visual effects, art direction and makeup.

"The Dark Knight" had a second win, for sound editing.

"Milk" writer Dustin Lance Black offered an impassioned tribute to Milk.

"If Harvey had not been taken from us 30 years ago, I think he would want me to say to all the gay and lesbian kids out there tonight who have been told they are less than by the churches, by the government, by their families, that you are beautiful, wonderful creatures of value, and that no matter what anyone tells you, God does love you and that very soon, I promise you, you will have equal rights, federally, across this great nation of ours," Black said.

"Man on Wire," James Marsh's examination of tight-rope walker Philippe Petit's dazzling stroll between the towers of the World Trade Center in 1974, was chosen as best documentary.

The acting categories were presented by five past winners of the same awards, among them last year's actress winners, Marion Cotillard and Tilda Swinton, plus Halle Berry, Nicole Kidman, Kevin Kline, Sophia Loren, Anthony Hopkins, Shirley MacLaine and Robert De Niro.

It was a much different style for the Oscars as each past recipient offered personal tributes to one of the nominees, without clips of the nominated performances. Awards usually are done in chit-chat style between a couple of celebrity presenters.

After last year's Oscars delivered their worst TV ratings ever, producers this time aimed to liven up the show with some surprises and new ways of presenting awards. Rather than hiring a comedian such as past hosts Jon Stewart or Chris Rock, the producers went with actor and song-and-dance man Hugh Jackman, who has been host of Broadway's Tony Awards.

Instead of the usual standup routine, Jackman did an engaging musical number to open the show, saluting nominated films with a clever tribute.

Jackman later did a medley staged by his "Australia" director Baz Luhrmann with such performers as Beyonce Knowles and "High School Musical" stars Vanessa Hudgens and Zac Efron.

"Slumdog Millionaire" went into the evening after a run of prizes from earlier film honors.

The film nearly got lost in the shuffle as Warner Bros. folded its art-house banner, Warner Independent, which had been slated to distribute "Slumdog Millionaire." It was rescued from the direct-to-video scrap heap when Fox Searchlight stepped in to release the film.

"Slumdog" composer A.R. Rahman, a dual Oscar winner for the score and song, said the movie was about "optimism and the power of hope."

"All my life, I've had a choice of hate and love," Rahman said. "I chose love, and I'm here.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Hell, since I'm not up for Miss Congeniality round here anyway, I'll say it.

A tiresome, nerdy, rhythmless show, helplessly torpedoed by a most uninspired list of winners (best actor the only exception).
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I have to agree that this was one of the best shows ever, though not without its flaws.

The musical numbers didn't entirely work for me: the opening bit was good but reminiscent of Crystal's schtick; the Original Song medley was energetic if forgettable; the musical pastiche seemed chaotic, like all Baz Luhrman productions. Damien will have to tell us if they did indeed--as Danny Boyle said--looked better on stage than on TV.

I also thought that having so few presenters give multiple awards made the evening drag just a bit.

But the presentation of the Acting awards was absolute genius. Without a doubt, the highlights of the evening. I didn't miss the clips at all--having Sophia Loren, Nicole Kidman, Halle Berry, Shirley MacLaine and Marion Cotillard rhapsodize, in what appeared to be a very genuine, heartfelt manner, about Meryl Streep, Angelina Jolie, Melissa Leo, Anne Hathaway and The Goddess (hell, The Goddess even give me a shout-out, I think!) was just tremendous. The same true of the other acting categories. I don't know if they can ever top this.

Edited By Penelope on 1235366643
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

You know, I can see the Religious nutsos in this country going crazy over how liberal Hollywood is. It wasn't just having Bill Maher presenting an award...

Just look at the characters honored with acting trophies:

A gay politician pushing for gay rights
A concentration camp guard having an affair with a teenager while preventing Jews from escaping
A psychotic pseudo-lesbian
A deranged psychopath who likes to put human lives in peril and cause great amounts of property damage
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

The best show I have ever seen. Damien and Bill Condon should work every show from now on!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
bettestreep2008
Graduate

Post by bettestreep2008 »

Arguably the best telecast in decades!!!

Hugh was terrific! His 2 musical numbers - the opening medley and tribute to musicals were fantastic.

Shame they had to bring back Beyonce yet again! She's great and all - but there are many other more talented female singers out there. And why did she mime???

The idea to have 5 former winners present the Acting awards was sheer brilliance!
Only the Supporting Actor presenters failed to get a standing ovation (well they were pretty forgettable actors).

Shame Bardem and Day Lewis couldn't make it to present. Did they have hissy fits when they were told they would be sharing the stage with others???

And best of all - here in Australia we got to see the whole telecast LIVE on free to air TV - and according to my timing calculations - it came in UNDER 3 and half hours - including commercials!!!

Hugh SHOULD come back next year!!! AND Meryl Streep should be honoured with a lifetime achievement award - cos I don't think she will ever win another Oscar for an acting performance in the next 20 years or so...

Well done to the organisers for finally delivering an ENTERTAINING show!!!
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

A long time ago I said that if the Academy was getting really public friendly after last year fiasco, most likely we were going to see Zach Efron, Dominic & Seyfried from Mamma Mia and a lot of "stars" of that level presenting awards. Little I know we were going to see a musical extravaganza about musicals with the MC, the sempiternal Beyonce and the singing kids...

Glad to see Sean Penn's winning, I felt sorry for Streep. Cruz was exceedingly beautiful. I like how Ledger's moment was managed, his family did great. Winslet winning for this specific performance made it less relevant for my taste. The musical numbers (the songs I mean) were hideous (the mixture of them didn't work) but it was nice to see Jai Ho winning. The scores were presented as I wanted but the orchestra didn't make justice to them (Only Defiance and Button sounded good, with Milk in third).

I SO DID LOVED the idea of having a group of past winners announcing the acting categories. Lead Actor was the most contemporary bunch of actors (DeNiro being the most remote winner and he's from the 80's!) and eventually the least impressive of them all... the description of their roles, some bits of their lives, some jokes and some some carreer achievements accolades was perfect (thank God for a group of smar writers), making each nominee feel special. I didn't miss the clips...

Angelina was beautiful, the show was good, Wall-E is extremely underappreciated... this is how the 80th AA should have been!
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Jim20
Temp

Post by Jim20 »

Any one know of the final running time?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Best show of the last forty years and maybe ever. The idea of having five former winners in each of the acting categories present was pure genius but probably not sustainable year after year. Maybe they could have a mix of former winners and other major stars present awards in the acting categories going forward.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

What dws said. Though I wonder how often they could do the acting presentations the way they did without repeating performers.
Snick's Guy
Temp

Post by Snick's Guy »

Will be interesting to see the overnight Nielsens tomorrow morning, numbers had to be up over last year's show.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

That was an excellent show. The winners weren't very interesting, but the production was great. I'd love to see Condon/Mark oversee a night with the kind of surprises we got six years back. That would be Oscar nerd nirvana.
Snick's Guy
Temp

Post by Snick's Guy »

dws1982 wrote:So Jackman didn't bomb in the last half of the show, but he did kind of disappear.
Yeah, I wanted to see more of him

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”