81st Oscars: The Show

dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

So Jackman didn't bomb in the last half of the show, but he did kind of disappear.
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

Jim20 wrote:Is it me or do the performances of the Original Song sound terrible?
It's because the songs are terrible.
Snick's Guy
Temp

Post by Snick's Guy »

Very predicitible winners so far, but this is hands down the best produced show this decade!
Jim20
Temp

Post by Jim20 »

Is it me or do the performances of the Original Song sound terrible?
Snick's Guy
Temp

Post by Snick's Guy »

I saw Sophia Loren in the audience -- She will be one of the 5 past actress winners to present this years award.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Yeah I second that...Jackman will be asked back
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

dws1982 wrote:And unless he really bombs over the next ninety minutes, I'm guessing that Hugh Jackman has the Variety Performance Emmy in the bag.

He's right up there with Steve Martin as the best host since I"ve been watching.
Yep. and Yep.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I have a feeling this could be the Oscars that finally nabs the Variety Special Oscar that has eluded it for quite some time.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

And unless he really bombs over the next ninety minutes, I'm guessing that Hugh Jackman has the Variety Performance Emmy in the bag.

He's right up there with Steve Martin as the best host since I"ve been watching.
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

OscarGuy wrote:I need help. Zac Efron, Vanessa Hudgens, Beyonce and who were the other two? Amanda Seyfried and someone else?
Dominic Cooper (also from Mamma Mia!
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

"the man who created that number, Baz Luhrman"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I need help. Zac Efron, Vanessa Hudgens, Beyonce and who were the other two? Amanda Seyfried and someone else?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Okay, this musical part could've been axed, I think. But I did go take a snack break during the first part of it so maybe it'll be better when I watch it back.
Jim20
Temp

Post by Jim20 »

A little too broadway, thus far. Love the pace of the show, though. Going to lose my tie-breaker question of length on my office pool.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Surprisingly funny 2008 Comedy montage. The Janusz Kaminski bit was fantastic. And what a great thing to finally have one of the tech artists present an award even though he really didn't present anything, just stood on stage and made jokes. Still a cool moment.
Wesley Lovell

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”