81st Oscars: The Show

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

No, it was Downey. Read the comments in Tapley's blog.

http://www.incontention.com/?p=4822

With Stiller and Downey's one-two punch Stiller at the Oscars, are the stars of Tropic Thunder now officially the biggest jerks in Hollywood?

Edited By Big Magilla on 1242473018
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

So, it could have been Jack Black (being large) and part of the cast of action blockbuster comedy Tropic Thunder.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Let me throw in that the "Biggest Action Stars" intro was meant to be partially tongue in cheek.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

paperboy wrote:Can Robert Downey Jnr really be one of "The Two Biggest Action Stars of the Movies" based on Iron Man alone? That seems a little hyperbolic.
I think we're taking it to mean that they were the two biggest action movie stars of the year, not necessarily of all time...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

On Tapley's site there were 25 comments regarding this. In the 24th he pretty much admitted it was Downey.
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

Can Robert Downey Jnr really be one of "The Two Biggest Action Stars of the Movies" based on Iron Man alone? That seems a little hyperbolic.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I agree on Downey Jr. Big action movie hit and a comeback this year...he fits all the specs.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Actually Edward Norton was my first guess. The "along side" threw me off. The "back in the limelight" comment suits him, but I would hardly put him on a par with Will Smith as a top action star on the basis of The Incredible Hulk. Maybe it's Christian Bale whose real reason for backing out was anticipated jokes at his expense over the audio tape.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Obviously Rick Moranis.
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

--Damien wrote:
--anonymous wrote:From InContention:
One of the chief complaints about the show I read, perhaps in the comments section here, regarded Will Smith’s presentation of all the post-production awards (Best Film Editing, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing and Visual Effects). It seemed Smith was on the stage (after rising dramatically from within it) for nearly 15 minutes. He even cracked a joke about it at one point: “I’m still here.”

As it turns out, Smith wasn’t originally slated to appear alone for that segment of the show. His partner, very much at the last minute, sent producers a note indicating that he was nervous about being upstaged by Smith (the biggest box office draw on the planet, of course, and with that squeaky-clean/magnetic personality to boot). But I can’t help but think this guy didn’t miss a hell of an opportunity to stand alongside one of the planet’s popular icons and announce both a return to the spotlight and a capacity to be the guy next to him if he wants to be. And I’d place a bet on his personality versus (and certainly in tandem with) Smith any day.

I won’t bother dropping a name like this, since it’s old news and kind of bitchy to bring it up (like I said, it’s stuck in my head). But it should be kind of obvious from the description. Underneath it all, it boggles my mind the divas you apparently have to contend with when you put this show together. Many of the disagreements are oddly understandable, but even with that in mind, it’s something of a shock anyone is ever able to get in and out without an absolute calamity.

Damien, have you got any idea who this person is?

Yes I know who it was -- and it was a shame because the writers had come up with some terrific, funny material for them. I don't believe Mr. X had ever appeared with Will Smith The duo was being presented as "The Two Biggest Action Stars of the Movies"

It has to be Chuck Norris in that case..... :D

Edited By Big Magilla on 1242473039
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Does his name rhyme with Shmarrison Shmord?

Nah, Downey's gotta be it.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1237237834
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Then my guess would be Robert Downey Jr.
Wesley Lovell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

anonymous wrote:From InContention:
One of the chief complaints about the show I read, perhaps in the comments section here, regarded Will Smith’s presentation of all the post-production awards (Best Film Editing, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing and Visual Effects). It seemed Smith was on the stage (after rising dramatically from within it) for nearly 15 minutes. He even cracked a joke about it at one point: “I’m still here.”

As it turns out, Smith wasn’t originally slated to appear alone for that segment of the show. His partner, very much at the last minute, sent producers a note indicating that he was nervous about being upstaged by Smith (the biggest box office draw on the planet, of course, and with that squeaky-clean/magnetic personality to boot). But I can’t help but think this guy didn’t miss a hell of an opportunity to stand alongside one of the planet’s popular icons and announce both a return to the spotlight and a capacity to be the guy next to him if he wants to be. And I’d place a bet on his personality versus (and certainly in tandem with) Smith any day.

I won’t bother dropping a name like this, since it’s old news and kind of bitchy to bring it up (like I said, it’s stuck in my head). But it should be kind of obvious from the description. Underneath it all, it boggles my mind the divas you apparently have to contend with when you put this show together. Many of the disagreements are oddly understandable, but even with that in mind, it’s something of a shock anyone is ever able to get in and out without an absolute calamity.

Damien, have you got any idea who this person is?

Yes I know who it was -- and it was a shame because the writers had come up with some terrific, funny material for them. I don't believe Mr. X had ever appeared with Will Smith The duo was being presented as "The Two Biggest Action Stars of the Movies"

Edited By Damien on 1237237734
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

Given the catagories it would have to be someone from a blockbuster of sorts. Maybe Shia LaBeouf (did he present anything?) or Edward Norton - both Norton and Smith played superheores, so would have made a good pair.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I take everything Kris Tapley says with a grain of salt. His "returning to the limelight" comment could have have meant the limelight of the Oscars. Remember everyone on the show was supposed to have been in recent films so technically whoever it was was already in the limelight.

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”