Notable First or Records

FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Okri wrote:Martin Landau?
The same year as Dianne Weist, another true supporting performer.

When Kevin Spacey won, he was still mostly seen as a character actor, and was not a name performer.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Martin Landau?
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

The Original BJ wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:And, yes, this is the first time it's happened in a supporting category. Also, I believe the first time two winners in the same night closed the deal, which is what happened to actress '06.

This is actually not an insigificant point, I think. In years past, it seems like there were a lot more fluky supporting nominees -- people who you knew would NEVER be back, even some times for films that weren't otherwise on Oscar's radar.

Nowadays, the supporting categories seem mostly filled out by actors in Best Picture nominees (or near-nominees). Plus, the increase of category fraud has merely added to the nomination totals of Oscar magnets like Blanchett and Hoffman instead of giving once-in-a-career opportunities to interesting supporting players.
Apropos this, I was looking at the photo of Penn/Winslet/Cruz, and I thought, those are some pretty big stars -- 10 lead nominations among them. Had Ledger survived to join them, he'd have fit right in as another who'd been nominated lead and would widely be considered a major name.

Who's the last truly supporting performer to win the lower-echelon Oscar? Jennifer Hudson isn't a star, but she was considered a lead by some here. Maybe Chris Cooper or Jim Broadbent were the last true examples -- and even they've played leads on occasion, in Lone Star or Topsy Turvy.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

{Accidentally posted here instead of The Show. Moved post over there.}

Edited By Damien on 1235444735
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Brad and Angelina are not officially married.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

inky wrote:And I wonder if this is mentioned before - the 1st married couple to be nominated for oscars for different films in the same year ???
Frank Sinatra and Ava Gardner -- 1953

Rex Harrison and Rachel Roberts -- 1963

Are Brad and Angelina married?
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

inky wrote:the 1st MTV-style movie (depending on how you define this) that wins best picture

The 1st best picture winner without a single based-in-Hollywood actor in the cast?

And I wonder if this is mentioned before - the 1st married couple to be nominated for oscars for different films in the same year ???
1. Maybe Gladiator?

2. Maybe one of prior winners made in the British film industry?

3. Perhaps Irving Thalberg (Trader Horn) and Norma Shearer (a Free Soul) in 1930/31?
inky
Temp

Post by inky »

the 1st MTV-style movie (depending on how you define this) that wins best picture

The 1st best picture winner without a single based-in-Hollywood actor in the cast?

And I wonder if this is mentioned before - the 1st married couple to be nominated for oscars for different films in the same year ???
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

The Original BJ wrote:Plus, the increase of category fraud has merely added to the nomination totals of Oscar magnets like Blanchett and Hoffman instead of giving once-in-a-career opportunities to interesting supporting players.
This is very true, however in Hoffman's defense, he fully deserved his supporting nod for Charlie Wilson's War last year.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Mister Tee wrote:And, yes, this is the first time it's happened in a supporting category. Also, I believe the first time two winners in the same night closed the deal, which is what happened to actress '06.
This is actually not an insigificant point, I think. In years past, it seems like there were a lot more fluky supporting nominees -- people who you knew would NEVER be back, even some times for films that weren't otherwise on Oscar's radar.

Nowadays, the supporting categories seem mostly filled out by actors in Best Picture nominees (or near-nominees). Plus, the increase of category fraud has merely added to the nomination totals of Oscar magnets like Blanchett and Hoffman instead of giving once-in-a-career opportunities to interesting supporting players.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

FilmFan720 wrote:
dws1982 wrote:Did anyone mention that last night turned Best Actress 2006 and Best Supporting Actress 2001 into lineups where all five nominees now hold Oscars? I just noticed this.

Would Best Supporting Actress 2001 be the first such supporting lineup?

I believe it is, but it is worth noting that three of those five won their first or only Oscar for a lead performance!
The number of category years with five winners, once a real rarity, has begun piling up in recent years. But there's still not been a year when all five won in the category in question.

And, yes, this is the first time it's happened in a supporting category. Also, I believe the first time two winners in the same night closed the deal, which is what happened to actress '06.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

dws1982 wrote:Did anyone mention that last night turned Best Actress 2006 and Best Supporting Actress 2001 into lineups where all five nominees now hold Oscars? I just noticed this.

I believe it is, but it is worth noting that three of those five won their first or only Oscar for a lead performance!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Did anyone mention that last night turned Best Actress 2006 and Best Supporting Actress 2001 into lineups where all five nominees now hold Oscars? I just noticed this.

Edited By dws1982 on 1235406221
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I believe this might be the first win for someone portraying a Nazi. For as many Holocaust films honored over the years by the Academy, that's an interesting first.

Sean Penn is the only American to win an acting Oscar in the past two years of winners (1/8).

Third year in a row that Best Actress has gone to a non-American.

Edited By flipp525 on 1235406809
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Penelope wrote:Is this the first time an actor who had to drop out of a role (Nicole Kidman) gave the Oscar to the actor who took over for him/her (Kate Winslet)? If you re-watch the presentation, I think Kate said something to Nicole about this, who shook her head.
Marion Cotillard was also reportedly considered after Kidman left and before Winslet became available.

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”