Notable First or Records

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Slumdog Millionaire is the first film in history to win eight or more trophies without winning Costume Design. And is only the second (behind From Here to Eternity) to win that many without an Art Direction trophy.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

In other words, the first to do so without being a Best Picture nominee. No wonder it was such a surprise winner. Only one person at my sister's Oscar party predicted it.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Departures is only the 2nd Asian film to win a competitive Best Foreign Language Film Oscar (the other one being Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon).

Edited By anonymous on 1235377314
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Should Penelope Cruz be considered the 3rd actress who wins an Oscar for a foreign language performance?
I don't think so, since half her lines were in english.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Is this the first time an actor who had to drop out of a role (Nicole Kidman) gave the Oscar to the actor who took over for him/her (Kate Winslet)? If you re-watch the presentation, I think Kate said something to Nicole about this, who shook her head.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

"Jay Ho" is the 3rd foreign language song to win the Oscar, after 'Never On Sunday' and 'Altro Lado del Rio' (excuse the spelling).
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

This was the first year since the institution of two competitive sound categories where each category had a different winner, even though both winners were nominated in both categories. Previous splits have always involved at least one winner not nominated in the other category.

I wouldn't have been surprised to see Slumdog take both or the Dark Knight take both, but I found this split to be one of the most surprising results of the night.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Resul Pookutty is the first Asian to be nominated for and win Sound Mixing.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Pitt has starred already in two films with the most nominations and ended up losing best picture
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I'll start off with the only one that comes to mind tonight:

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, with its three wins, now has the fewest wins for a film nominated for thirteen or more awards. (Prevously it was The Fellowship of the Ring with four.)

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”