Notable First or Records

Mike Kelly
Temp

Post by Mike Kelly »

Technically, The Player has the most Academy Award Winners, but many just play themselves at a party or restaurant scene.

Murder on the Orient Express is a good one OG. All 6 names are real characters.

Don't remember how much screen time they have but in How the West was Won, you have A.A. winners:
Henry Fonda
Karl Malden
Gregory Peck
James Stewart
John Wayne
Walter Brennen,

And if you count the narrator:
Spencer Tracy

Death on the Nile has five: Peter Ustinov, Bette Davis, George Kennedy, David Niven and Maggie Smith.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

It was requested to specifically exclude cameo-driven films like The Player.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
inky
Temp

Post by inky »

OscarGuy wrote:National Treasure: Book of Secrets has Nicolas Cage, Jon Voight, Helen Mirren and almost-winners Harvey Keitel and Ed Harris...

But, I guess the question is more or less does it have to have Oscar winners going in?

Here are some that featured a number of Oscar winners together in large casts that weren't mostly cameos (after all, most Oscar-heavy casts tend to have only a handful of characters).

Gone With the Wind has Vivien Leigh, Hattie McDaniel, Olivia de Havilland, Clark Gable, Jane Darwell. That's only five, though.

Towering Inferno featured Paul Newman, William Holden, Faye Dunaway, Jennifer Jones.

Poseidon Adventure: Gene Hackman, Ernest Borgnine, Red Buttons, Shelley Winters, Jack Albertson.

Airport: Burt Lancaster, George Kennedy, Helen Hayes, Van Heflin, Maureen Stapleton.

Murder on the Orient Express: Martin Balsam, Ingrid Bergman, Sean Connery, John Gielgud, Wendy Hiller, Vanessa Redgrave.

Death on the Nile: Peter Ustinov, Bette Davis, George Kennedy, David Niven, Maggie Smith.

Murder by Death: Alec Guinness, David Niven, Maggie Smith.

But, many of these were also very heavy on the Oscar nominees...I could easily add to each list at least two or three other Oscar nominees in the casts...and these, I'm sure, aren't even the tip of the iceberg.
We used to have a list-making thread under "Other Oscar Discussion" forum on this. I just couldn't locate the thread. I think I have saved the master copy in a text file but I need to dig it up. The record holder is most likely to be:

5 leading + 4 supporting

The Player
- Tim Robbins (s)
- Whoopi Goldberg (s)
- Cher
- James Cobern (s)
- Louise Fletcher
- Anjelica Huston (s)
- Jack Lemmon
- Marlee Matlin
- Susan Sarandon
- Julia Roberts
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

paperboy wrote:
Uri wrote:An Australian (born and/or raised there) actor must die first and then win an Oscar.

Geoffrey Rush would be happy to disagree.
As would Cate Blanchett.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

paperboy wrote:
Uri wrote:An Australian (born and/or raised there) actor must die first and then win an Oscar.

Oops.
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

An Australian (born and/or raised there) actor must die first and then win an Oscar.

Ahm, I wonder how many people would love Mel Gibson to win one for acting.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Doesn't necessarily mean he's not gay, but Martin Richards--producer of Chicago--was married to Mary Lea Johnson, who died in the early 90's, with whom he founded a film and theatrical production company. He even mentioned her at a few events that awards season, if I'm remembering correctly.

Edited By dws1982 on 1235516720
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

The Original BJ wrote:
jack wrote:I could be wrong here, and I know that we're talking mostly about Notable Firsts with regard to Oscar wins, but isn't Milk the first film to be nominated for Picture, Director and Screenplay with its producers, director and screenwriter all being openly gay? I say I could be wrong as I have no idea if Bruce Cohen and Dan Jinks are openly gay, or for that matter, gay - but I think they are on both accounts.....

Am I wrong? Does anyone know?

I don't know if it was the first, but Chicago definitely beat Milk to that punch.
I forgot about Chicago.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

jack wrote:I could be wrong here, and I know that we're talking mostly about Notable Firsts with regard to Oscar wins, but isn't Milk the first film to be nominated for Picture, Director and Screenplay with its producers, director and screenwriter all being openly gay? I say I could be wrong as I have no idea if Bruce Cohen and Dan Jinks are openly gay, or for that matter, gay - but I think they are on both accounts.....

I don't know if it was the first, but Chicago definitely beat Milk to that punch.
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

I could be wrong here, and I know that we're talking mostly about Notable Firsts with regard to Oscar wins, but isn't Milk the first film to be nominated for Picture, Director and Screenplay with its producers, director and screenwriter all being openly gay? I say I could be wrong as I have no idea if Bruce Cohen and Dan Jinks are openly gay, or for that matter, gay - but I think they are on both accounts.....

FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Mister Tee wrote:This was the first year since 1994 where every winner had been nominated at least once in the past. Other parallels to that year: the best actor winner had also won on his previous nomination in the same category; the actress winner had received her sixth nomination; the supporting actress was in a Woody Allen-created role.
And the Supporting Actor won in heavy makeup (playing a monster...although that may be a stretch)
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Someone over at Awards Daily had a couple of oddball ones:

Subject to change of course, but Slumdog Millionaire is the only one of 81 best picture winners to have not a single person in its cast who was ever nominated for an acting Oscar.

Cate Blanchett has now been in four films that have won the make-up prize.

Owing largely to Titanic, Kate Winslet films have now won in every category except Actor, Supporting Actress and Make-Up.

This was the first year since 1994 where every winner had been nominated at least once in the past. Other parallels to that year: the best actor winner had also won on his previous nomination in the same category; the actress winner had received her sixth nomination; the supporting actress was in a Woody Allen-created role.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

National Treasure: Book of Secrets has Nicolas Cage, Jon Voight, Helen Mirren and almost-winners Harvey Keitel and Ed Harris...

But, I guess the question is more or less does it have to have Oscar winners going in?

Here are some that featured a number of Oscar winners together in large casts that weren't mostly cameos (after all, most Oscar-heavy casts tend to have only a handful of characters).

Gone With the Wind has Vivien Leigh, Hattie McDaniel, Olivia de Havilland, Clark Gable, Jane Darwell. That's only five, though.

Towering Inferno featured Paul Newman, William Holden, Faye Dunaway, Jennifer Jones.

Poseidon Adventure: Gene Hackman, Ernest Borgnine, Red Buttons, Shelley Winters, Jack Albertson.

Airport: Burt Lancaster, George Kennedy, Helen Hayes, Van Heflin, Maureen Stapleton.

Murder on the Orient Express: Martin Balsam, Ingrid Bergman, Sean Connery, John Gielgud, Wendy Hiller, Vanessa Redgrave.

Death on the Nile: Peter Ustinov, Bette Davis, George Kennedy, David Niven, Maggie Smith.

Murder by Death: Alec Guinness, David Niven, Maggie Smith.

But, many of these were also very heavy on the Oscar nominees...I could easily add to each list at least two or three other Oscar nominees in the casts...and these, I'm sure, aren't even the tip of the iceberg.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mike Kelly
Temp

Post by Mike Kelly »

Penelope Cruz now becomes the 6th member of the cast of the upcoming movie NINE that has won an acting Academy Award. The other five:
Daniel Day-Lewis
Marion Cotillard
Nicole Kidman
Judi Dench
Sophia Loren

Is this a record? (not including movies with cameo casts like The Player)

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”