Notable First or Records

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

He already has.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

I know it's off topic, but will Mister Tee do his yearly ''Who will be back'' thread this year?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I still have to do the research on this, but...

of the 31 competitive Oscar winners (counts Rahman only once, though he won twice)...

Only 4 were repeat winners. That means 27 winners were first-timers.

Add in the 13 honorary or special achievement awards (Sci-tech, etc), and you have 44 winners...

of which, only 6 are repeat winners. Making it a grand total of 38 first-time winners this year.

List of previous winners:

Sean Penn
Greg Cannom
Richard King
Andrew Stanton
Mark Kimball
Ed Catmull
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Doubt is the first film with four acting nominations since The Turning Point (1977) that won none.

Four Christmases also has five oscar winners:

Robert Duvall
Sissy Spacek
Mary Steenburgen (s)
Jon Voight
Reese Witherspoon
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

King Of Kings had the best sound track, IMO.
Jim20
Temp

Post by Jim20 »

As much as I dislike the cameos of "Greatest Story Ever Told," I always thought it provided the most beautiful images of the bibical epics, next to "Ben-Hur." There were certain images that still linger in my mind. For example: Mary and Joseph carry Jesus through a valley of crosses, the haunting prayers on the soundtrack underlining the moment. In the garden, prior to His arrest, the use of a long shot (in the foreground Jesus praying, the background Judas and the guards approaching, lit by torchlight). Well-told images; unfortunately the film doesn't hold up.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

King of Kings wasn't a masterpiece either, but it was a more bizarre, interesting movie. The Greatest Story Ever Told had a better Jesus though.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

The Greatest Story Ever Told was, unfortunately, one of those movies that, when I was a child, you couldn't escape from on Italian television on Christmas.

Turner Classic Movies still plays it every Christmas and Eastser, along with Ben-Hur, and my favorite Hollywood Biblical Epic, Nick Ray's King of Kings.

Van Heflin also has a role in The Greatest Story Ever Told. He doesn't have the screentime of Heston or Ferrar, and it's essentially one scene (sequence might be the appropriate term), but his sequence is more extensive than Wayne's or Winters's. (Don't remember Landau.) I haven't seen the movie in years--the good parts, and there are some, just aren't enough to get me to sit through the bad parts, or which there are a great many--but I remember at one point thinking that Heflin's was my favorite performance in the film. (Heston is great fun though.) His is certainly something more interesting than the dull, lifeless reverence that mars so much of the film. At any rate, Heflin's role would probably be considered more of a cameo than anything else.

Edited By dws1982 on 1235932327
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

The Greatest Story Ever Told was, unfortunately, one of those movies that, when I was a child, you couldn't escape from on Italian television on Christmas.

Of those actors, only Jose Ferrer and Charlton Heston had (small) roles which can't be considered cameos.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

inky wrote:I haven't seen these two films so I can't tell whether they are cameo-driven.

A Bridge Too Far
- Michael Caine (s)
- Sean Connery (s)
- Gene Hackman
- Anthony Hopkins
- Laurence Olivier
- Maximilian Schell

Greatest Story Ever Told
- John Wayne
- Jose Ferrer
- Sidney Poitier
- Charlton Heston
- Martin Landau (s)
- Shelley Winters (s)
I haven't seen The Greatest Story Ever Told, but I, personally, would not classify the actors' appearances in A Bridge Too Far as cameos: they all appear in multiple scenes of the film, several of which last for more than 5 or 10 minutes.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

paperboy wrote:
inky wrote:Winslet's spouse, Mendes, was a Best Director Oscar winner.

Is this the first married couple in the history who won Best Director and Best Actress Oscars respectively? If not, who else?

Joel Coen and Frances McDormand
Interesting that it had never happened before, and now has happened 2 years in a row!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

A.R. Rahman is:

- Third Asian to win two Academy Awards.
- First Asian to win two Oscars in the same year.
- First Asian to receive three Oscar nominations in the same year.

"Jai Ho" in addition to being only the third song in a foreign language to win, it's also the first Asian song to win.
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

inky wrote:Winslet's spouse, Mendes, was a Best Director Oscar winner.

Is this the first married couple in the history who won Best Director and Best Actress Oscars respectively? If not, who else?
Joel Coen and Frances McDormand
inky
Temp

Post by inky »

Winslet's spouse, Mendes, was a Best Director Oscar winner.

inky
Temp

Post by inky »

[Edited: Thread resurrected ...
Please check: UAADB » The Academy Awards » Other Oscar Discussions » Films with the most Oscar-winning actors]

I found the file and will resurrect the thread!

I haven't seen these two films so I can't tell whether they are cameo-driven.

A Bridge Too Far
- Michael Caine (s)
- Sean Connery (s)
- Gene Hackman
- Anthony Hopkins
- Laurence Olivier
- Maximilian Schell

Greatest Story Ever Told
- John Wayne
- Jose Ferrer
- Sidney Poitier
- Charlton Heston
- Martin Landau (s)
- Shelley Winters (s)

Airport '77
- Jack Lemmon
- James Stewart
- Olivia de Havilland
- George Kennedy (s)
- Lee Grant (s)

Dick Tracy
- Al Pacino
- Dustin Hoffman
- Kathy Bates
- Estelle Parsons (s)
- Michael J. Pollard (s)

Heartburn
- Meryl Streep
- Jack Nicholson
- Kevin Spacey
- Maureen Stapleton (s)
- Mercedes Ruehl (s)

Julia
- Jane Fonda
- Vanessa Redgrave (s)
- Maximillian Schell
- Meryl Streep
- Jason Robards (s)

The Longest Day
- Red Buttons (s)
- Sean Connery (s)
- Henry Fonda
- Rod Steiger
- John Wayne

I've seen these films ...

Hamlet (Kenneth Branagh version)
- Julie Christie
- Charlton Heston
- Jack Lemmon
- Kate Winslet
- Robin Williams (s)
- Judi Dench (s)
- John Gielguld (s)
- John Mills (s)
(I think at least Gielguld was a cameo but he played a real character. Does that count?)

Pret-a-Porter
- Sophia Loren
- Kim Basinger (s)
- Julia Roberts
- Tim Robbins (s)
- Lind Hunt (s)
- Cher
(Only Cher is a cameo. So it still counts 5.)

Edited By inky on 1235629150

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”