GG: Drama Actress

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The point was, Italiano, that it becomes more relevant this year in that Winslet has two STRONG performances that voters could easily not make up their minds over and either vote for in both or have 21% of voters pick her in one category and 21% of voters pick her in the other. It's less of a stretch of the imagination than say when Emma Thompson, Al Pacino, Sigourney Weaver, Jessica Lange or any of the other previous double acting nominees were selected.

As I said in the other thread. It can happen, I don't think it will, but it could. And After last night, I think the chances of it happening improve slightly, but it also increases the chances that she'll lose both. The reason I say that is not that the record-minded Academy voters won't go that route, but that some who hate to set precedent or set new records will actively work against it. There are voters who I'm sure wouldn't want to do what the Globes did. So, while it increases the thought that "maybe she could" in many voters' minds, there will be some who work for and against the notion.

After all, with a likely 7 nominations under her belt at the exceedingly young age of 33, the chances of her winning increase dramatically. But which role will she win for? Both are dramatically strong from all I've heard (still only seen Revolutionary Road) and with not-as-strong-as-we-originally-thought competition in both categories, it is more conceivable now than it was a week or more ago that she could do it. Again, I think voters will honor her in the category she has been nominated in more, Best Actress, as a way of deciding. But, the question is, which PYT will they go for? Penelope Cruz? or Anne Hathaway? Or will they go another direction. Right now, only SAG can truly point the way.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

rain Bard wrote:OscarGuy, you deserve some credit for your prior Oscar prediction thanks to this double Globe win for Winslet. It's true this is just the Globes, but if it can happen here, it clearly is within the realm of Oscar possibility, which is in line with your original pronouncement, though it was soon shot down as an impossibility by some here. I still think it's unlikely, as I suspect you do, but it's still far further within the realm of possibility than, say, anything but Wall-E taking the Animated Feature Oscar.
It's possible in the sense that it's always possible, when an actor or an actress gets twio nominations in the same year. So what?
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

OscarGuy, you deserve some credit for your prior Oscar prediction thanks to this double Globe win for Winslet. It's true this is just the Globes, but if it can happen here, it clearly is within the realm of Oscar possibility, which is in line with your original pronouncement, though it was soon shot down as an impossibility by some here. I still think it's unlikely, as I suspect you do, but it's still far further within the realm of possibility than, say, anything but Wall-E taking the Animated Feature Oscar.
Jim20
Temp

Post by Jim20 »

bettestreep2008 wrote:It has been over 25 years since the greatest living Actress - Meryl Streep - received an Oscar.

This year she showed us all how versatile she is and delivered 2 totally different and totally mesmerising performances - Mamma Mia and Doubt!

If she doesn't win her 3rd Oscar this year - there is no justice and the Academy will once again be laughed at!

Winslet will have to make do with the consolation prize of Best Supporting Actress! Although she has lead billing in The Reader - Feinstein (the culprit behind Shakespeare in Love) has orchestrated a campaign to make sure Kate gets a chance at a much overdue Oscar!
Who's Feinstein, pal? You mean, Harvey Weinstein?
bettestreep2008
Graduate

Post by bettestreep2008 »

It has been over 25 years since the greatest living Actress - Meryl Streep - received an Oscar.

This year she showed us all how versatile she is and delivered 2 totally different and totally mesmerising performances - Mamma Mia and Doubt!

If she doesn't win her 3rd Oscar this year - there is no justice and the Academy will once again be laughed at!

Winslet will have to make do with the consolation prize of Best Supporting Actress! Although she has lead billing in The Reader - Feinstein (the culprit behind Shakespeare in Love) has orchestrated a campaign to make sure Kate gets a chance at a much overdue Oscar!
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Hate to say it, but I'm on the same page. Hathaway and Hawkins are fantastic, and though I think both Streep and Winslet (RR) come in well behind those two in my own estimation, they're also simultaneously just about the best things in their respective movies.
dylanfan23
Temp

Post by dylanfan23 »

The best thing about those four performances....all very good! The second best thing is that doubt, revolutionary road, happy go lucky and rachel getting married were all very good films. I loved all 4 performances very much and on any given day lean toward one or the other. So seeing one of them win will be a good thing no matter what...and right now i can't figure out which one i'll be rooting for.
kooyah
Graduate

Post by kooyah »

Penelope wrote:Best Actress will be decided in another way: Streep for longevity? Hathaway for being the rising ingenue? Winslet for overdue win?

Or according to my wishlist: Sally Hawkins for deserving!

(I'll take a win for Hawkins as the result of a split, though. I'm not picky.)
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

By the way, I mentioned in the Last Movie Seen thread that I saw Bride Wars last night; I enjoyed it, but I was in the mood for a comedy, and was willing to lower expectations. Like I said, I don't think it's such an embarrassment that it will ruin her chances of winning the Oscar. Best Actress will be decided in another way: Streep for longevity? Hathaway for being the rising ingenue? Winslet for overdue win?

Edited By Penelope on 1231736187
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

kooyah wrote:Well, that could happen. What's the word on Bride Wars? Anyone know?
Not good.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Bride Wars is already out, faring incredibly poorly with critics and doing only fair with audiences (it under-performed this weekend, losing the expected #1 spot to Gran Torino); it's not quite a Norbit-level disaster, however, and the Academy might willingly overlook it.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
kooyah
Graduate

Post by kooyah »

Well, that could happen. What's the word on Bride Wars? Anyone know?
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

mashari wrote:Wow for Kate, but I agree that Hathaway could still take lead. Remember that she has potential hit Bride Wars coming out and since none of the BA contenders' films have considerable B.O., with the exception of Jolie, 'Bride' could help Hathaway there.

i thought maybe the opposite would happen, like with eddie murphy and NORBIT.

i never thought eddie murphy lost to alan arkin because NORBIT was in theatres around the time the academy was voting, but i know many people do. i wonder if those people think the toxic and critically reviled BRIDE WARS could do the same to hathaway?

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1231735834
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
mashari
Temp

Post by mashari »

Wow for Kate, but I agree that Hathaway could still take lead. Remember that she has potential hit Bride Wars coming out and since none of the BA contenders' films have considerable B.O., with the exception of Jolie, 'Bride' could help Hathaway there.

I'm kinda shocked Penelope didn't get this one.
"The only thing I regret about my past is the length of it. If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes... only sooner."--Tallulah Bankhead
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

How is lead already decided? It's the only category there's been no real critics' consensus in. Sally Hawkins now has more awards than anyone so far with Anne Hathaway not far behind and still not that much farther behind Meryl and Kate.

Now, I haven't seen Anne Hathaway's film and while I could see her winning as the young ingenue, I could also see Sally Hawkins (loveable performance), Meryl Streep (career-spanning third Oscar), or Kate Winslet (first ever win) taking the prize.

I think Actress is one of the few categories that isn't entirely decided yet. Anne has to win SAG to really stay in the race, IMO. GG would have been the perfect place for he to show her potential, but she lost out to Kate Winslet in a double shot of secondary history (which could also have been on the minds of HFPA voters).

SAG must point the way because right now, I don't see this one being called yet.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”